Anyone own a Mazda3?

SDS

I just a need a commuter car to get me to work/hockey and the kids to school. The wife already has a nice to car for us to drive if needed and we have a mini-van for trips and moving lots of people. I don't want to put long term miles on the van because I never want to buy another one, although I can drive it short term for quite awhile if necessary...

It seems like the Mazda3 5-door is fairly good car that is funnish to drive and gets reasonable gas mileage. It would certainly be a step up from my deceased Malibu...

Any thoughts?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a 2000 Protege, which was the precursor to the 3, and I loved it. Very roomy, nice pep, good gas mileage, and not bad in the style department either. I put over 100,000mi on mine and never had a problem.

It seems like the Mazda3 5-door is fairly good car that is funnish to drive and gets reasonable gas mileage. It would certainly be a step up from my deceased Malibu...

Any thoughts?

I've got a 2004 Mazda3 5-door and I would heartily recommend it. It's a solid commuter car (I average 30 mpg) that's also a lot of fun to drive--very good acceleration, nimble handling, solid all around feel for a small car. It's got a surprising amount of rear seat room, so it's not bad for hauling the kids around as well. As a FWD, I was concerned about its ability to handle WNY winters, but it does well in the snow with a good set of Michelin All-Weathers.

I'm thinking of picking up a 2009 model and giving my old one to my daughter to take to college. Not a big fan of the 2010 model's new look, but maybe it'll grow on me.

I just a need a commuter car to get me to work/hockey and the kids to school. The wife already has a nice to car for us to drive if needed and we have a mini-van for trips and moving lots of people. I don't want to put long term miles on the van because I never want to buy another one, although I can drive it short term for quite awhile if necessary...

Any thoughts?

Well if it's just a commuter car you need, you can't go wrong with the...

brochure

Well if it's just a commuter car you need, you can't go wrong with the...

brochure

Beautiful! But not as cool as my old DS21.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C3%ABn_DS

Fearless Leader, what's the warranty on the Mazda 3? They get really good reviews, as does the Toyota Corolla and of course the Honda Civic (which is really big inside). Hyundai and Kia both have great warranties, right now, and the cars are pretty sweet, too.

I've got a 2004 Mazda3 5-door and I would heartily recommend it. It's a solid commuter car (I average 30 mpg) that's also a lot of fun to drive--very good acceleration, nimble handling, solid all around feel for a small car. It's got a surprising amount of rear seat room, so it's not bad for hauling the kids around as well. As a FWD, I was concerned about its ability to handle WNY winters, but it does well in the snow with a good set of Michelin All-Weathers.

I'm thinking of picking up a 2009 model and giving my old one to my daughter to take to college. Not a big fan of the 2010 model's new look, but maybe it'll grow on me.

Just out of curiosity, did you happen to test drive the "sport" version of the 3? It's analogous to the Si version of the Civic, and it's supposed to be a pretty nifty little car. I still like the VW GTi in that class, but would love any one of the three.

Just out of curiosity, did you happen to test drive the "sport" version of the 3? It's analogous to the Si version of the Civic, and it's supposed to be a pretty nifty little car. I still like the VW GTi in that class, but would love any one of the three.

No, I didn't try the Si. I did drive the GTI and had a woody for it, but ultimately decided to save the extra dough.

No, I didn't try the Si. I did drive the GTI and had a woody for it, but ultimately decided to save the extra dough.

Yeah, that GTi is a nice little car....a bit pricey, though, as you mentioned. I'd be pretty happy going back to a Mazda 3, myself. I often really miss my Protege ES...with the spoiler....and the moonroof....lol.

The Civic is one of the best commuter-type cars out there. Gas mileage is good, racks up miles without any trouble, and definitely falls under the "fun to drive" category, unlike its more boring sibling, the Accord.

My bro's girlfriend just bought an '09 Speed3. It's !@#$ing fast. 263 hp.

That's a badass car, man. That's the one i mentioned above....I read about a comparison among it, the civic Si, and the VW GTi. I remember them being most impressed with the Mazda.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...rticleId=116868

Scott: Black rules :D

the 2010 model.... sure. I was probably going to look at a 2008. I would need to get black in order to minimize that "smile" on a 2010.

Ah, cool. Those cars are not bad, I was looking at one of them when I settled on my current car. Have a couple friends who own them, and they love em.