If we all like the same Football and hockey team why cant we like the

Red Sox fans used to be kind of noble, continuing to root for a team that hadn't won a championship since 1918. Now that they have won a couple, they are getting a lot more obnoxious, especially those under about 35. Red Sox fans are getting more like Patsie* fans

This is pretty much my take. I have to think the most obnoxious of these fans are bandwagon fans, and not the old-time Sox fans.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Red Sox fans used to be kind of noble, continuing to root for a team that hadn't won a championship since 1918. Now that they have won a couple, they are getting a lot more obnoxious, especially those under about 35. Red Sox fans are getting more like Patsie* fans who are totally insufferable, the kind of people you'd like to see smacked in the face a couple of times, even if you are not normally prone to violence. Face it the same people in NE are both Patsie* and Sox fans. So I've really started to root against the Sox big time, even though I used to like them.

Well when I lived there ('84-91) we hadn't won anything, and thus were still quite noble. :D

Let's try this again. Me, and some of my Pirate-fan friends sometimes refer to them as "The Rats". Yes, we do. It is a comment on their futility, to a degree.

I've also been known to call the Bills "The Williams" and the Sabres "The 'Bres" or "The Swords".

My point being, shortening the official team name, of playing with it a little, is normal for fans of sports teams. Getting upset because someone refers to the Blue Jays as "The Jays" is more than a little ridiculous.

Your point is taken. They are mighty crappy. I am blessed to be a bucs, sabres, and bills fan. I was born under a bad star. I have to agree with your last point as well.

I was and still am an A's fan. I have no idea why I latched on to them in the 70's while I was growing up in Buffalo. Bills, Sabres and A's. There's an odd grouping.

hey me too...started with reggie jackson and blue moon odom and vida blue etc. Bills,As, Sabres....

Way off base.

Most Yankees fans are fans because they're dad was a Yanks fan and his dad was a Yanks fan....and so on.

It's tradition and longevity.

I don't buy that for a New York second, you are way off base, unless you live on a different planet than I do. Most of the modern Yankee fans (and there are a very few exceptions), their parents weren't even into baseball. The only tradition is jumping on the bandwagon of the winningest teams. Thats why the best fans in the NFL are for the most part from the teams that don't have the bandwagon fans, Buffalo, Cleveland, Kansas City, etc.

In my opinion, the team you consider "home" is the team represented by either the city you live in, and if you don't have a team in your city, then the state you live in. There is no reason, if you live in NYS, to root for a baseball team from another country over a team in your own damn country, in your own damn state, just because they are "technically" closer. I live here in Buffalo and root for the Mets and Knicks (unfortunately) because they represent the state that I live in.

Obviously, the roots to rooting for the Cleveland Indians are here in Buffalo as well.

Too bad all those Jest and Giants fans downstate don't think the way you do.

Well, we tend to criticize what we don't understand. Not that it makes any difference to me that you don't like baseball - some folks find curling exciting. To each their own. I think it makes a big difference if you grow up in a major league city.

Anyway, those 'grannies' you mock clearly have a far keener understanding of the game of baseball, the rules, the strategies involved, etc. than you. :thumbsup:

Don't deny that for a second. God bless 'em. I wasn't mocking them at all. I respect them and am sort of envious that they still find such joy in their golden years. If I make it that far, I'm bound to be a crotchety old pain in the ass. I really was commenting on the antiquity of the event in today's rapid paced culture..

The pace is more reflective of the slower paced world Abner Doubleday came from.

The post was very tongue in cheek. Different strokes for different folks. For me, it's boring as a spectator sport. Obviously, it's a game much loved by many people.

Don't deny that for a second. God bless 'em. I wasn't mocking them at all. I respect them and am sort of envious that they still find such joy in their golden years. If I make it that far, I'm bound to be a crotchety old pain in the ass. I really was commenting on the antiquity of the event in today's rapid paced culture..

The pace is more reflective of the slower paced world Abner Doubleday came from.

The post was very tongue in cheek. Different strokes for different folks. For me, it's boring as a spectator sport. Obviously, it's a game much loved by many people.

I understand. Actually, I find the experience of a genuine old ballpark like Fenway an enjoyable opportunity to escape the modern rat race and almost revisit 'an era gone by'. And, while the game may seem slow paced and relaxed, as SteamRoller67 commented, it's truly a thinking man's game. If you've ever stood in a batting cage or had a baseball hurled your way at 80+ mph, you wouldn't call it 'slow'. :thumbsup:

And get caught 'sleepin' on your feet', and a guy like Marty Barrett will pull the ol' 'hidden ball trick' on yer ass. :thumbsup:

(Actually, the pace is faster than it seems. Some folks would argue that the game of football is annoyingly slow-paced - 3 hours or more to play four 15-minute quarters.)

BTW - lots of those 'grannies' have a keener understanding - and keep better stats - than me. "God Bless 'em" is right!

hey me too...started with reggie jackson and blue moon odom and vida blue etc. Bills,As, Sabres....

Those 70's A's teams were great. They still compete mainly from the strength of the draft and farm system.

I used to see Vida Blue around town at some of the local bars I hang out in here.

Hey you old dog! How are you? I'm still in North Beach and I still hang out at North Star. I had a baby girl on Tuesday. She is already a little Bills fan.

Congrats!

BTW, say "Yo" to Ed for me, please.

Those 70's A's teams were great. They still compete mainly from the strength of the draft and farm system.

I used to see Vida Blue around town at some of the local bars I hang out in here.

altho the Billy Beane act is growing a bit tiresome