Michael Johnson very impressive

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If this doesnt disapoint you then you dont care or you dont pay attention. we passed up on 2 maybe 3 hall of famers to get a 3rd down player.

:thumbsup:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha. Oh, man, you've got me wiping my eyes with that one. Legendary.

If this doesnt disapoint you then you dont care or you dont pay attention. we passed up on 2 maybe 3 hall of famers to get a 3rd down player.

:thumbsup:

Poor form.

I've no doubt that Maybin was on every team's 1st round list. Different needs, potential, "signability", you name the criteria.

CIN picked Andre Smith - a dice roll, I'd say. HOF? Hold-out? Self-centered and scheming man-child? Bloated tub of lard? We shall see.

Michael Johnson...impressive. Perhaps at the moment, when all the players in the OTAs and camps to date are playing in their pyjamas, if you get the meaning.

I was more than surprised the Bills didn't go for another DE when the potentially good ones - Johnson, and especially Brown - were still available much later than I thought. Gotta hope Maybin works out for us, and we have to wait and see what happens there, but on the subject of the Bengals, I think they've added a ton of talent to their squad over the last two years, and if they were middle of the pack last year, then I'm thinking, if they don't have a lot of injury problems, that they'll be the dark horse of the division, moving up in defensive ranking to top ten. Add to that a return of Palmer, Coles, Ocho, and that other receiver that was getting into a lot of trouble, and they have the makings of a solid team. Everyone talks about our division being tough, but Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Cinci are tough teams, too. This season should be really fun to watch as division leaders of old will have to fight off the up and coming teams - our division, we hope, we have a shot at; as I said, Pittsburgh will have some tough games, Indy will also have a tough time staying on top...as I see it, the only team that should be a lock to continue as division leader is San Diego.

I think that Johnson will likely be the best to come out of the DE crop this year if he puts the work in. He has an excellent coach in Marvin Lewis, IMO, that could help to mold him. I was hoping we would get him in the late 1st or 2nd rounds of the draft if we traded out of #11. Instead we get Maybin @ #11, passing on Brown and Johnson in the 2nd. I hope this works out for us, believe me I really do, but I think that Brown and Johnson are going to turn out to be better pros than Maybin. Say whatever you want, flame away, but this is just my opinion like the rest of you have yours.

Marvin Lewis hasnt done a good job of coaching anyone up. On the other hand I heard somewhere that Ray Lewis was coaching up Maybin. I think the proof will be in the pudding.

per rotoworld

Bengals rookie DE/OLB Michael Johnson revealed that he played through a sports hernia last season.

Johnson caught a lot flack for his inconsistent effort, but the injury played a part. The versatile Johnson was reportedly the best Bengals' defender during minicamp action, and he's expected to see plenty of playing time as a rookie pass rusher.

I know some people here wanted him, and if this injury is true, it could definitely explain his lack of effort. I just don't know why a player wouldn't let teams or the public know this information BEFORE the draft so that they could take that into account

My guess is that....who cares? We seem to need to start a thread on every DE the Bills did not draft, on how they are doing in their OTA's. Johnson was the best Bengals defender during mini camp, while Maybin was trying to "learn the system." Oh no, Johnson is great and Maybin sucks, right??

Tell you what, at the end of the year, if Johnson has more sacks then Maybin, I'll congratulate your for bringing this OTA report to our attention. However, since I'm predicting Maybin to get 7 or 8 sacks this rookie season, Johnson will have to be better then the Bengals are reporting.

Marvin Lewis hasnt done a good job of coaching anyone up. On the other hand I heard somewhere that Ray Lewis was coaching up Maybin. I think the proof will be in the pudding.

Personally I think it's very difficult to evaluate the job someone like Marvin Lewis has done with an organization like the Cincinnati Bengals. Success for a head coach in an NFL organization as weak as the Bengals is a very difficult thing to ascertain, especially from our distant perspective. I would not presume to know if Marvin Lewis is a good head coach or not. How would Marvin Lewis have done if he was coaching the Steelers? How well would Mike Tomlin have done as head coach of the Bengals?

As far as Ray Lewis "coaching" Aaron Maybin, Lewis has spent a good portion of his career as a 3-4 inside linebacker. Maybin is a defensive end in a 4-3. I would doubt that there is any coaching going on. I do know that they plan on working out this offseason though.

My guess is that....who cares? We seem to need to start a thread on every DE the Bills did not draft, on how they are doing in their OTA's. Johnson was the best Bengals defender during mini camp, while Maybin was trying to "learn the system." Oh no, Johnson is great and Maybin sucks, right??

Tell you what, at the end of the year, if Johnson has more sacks then Maybin, I'll congratulate your for bringing this OTA report to our attention. However, since I'm predicting Maybin to get 7 or 8 sacks this rookie season, Johnson will have to be better then the Bengals are reporting.

I don't think they are "reporting" anything like you imply. Other that the usual, early pap that comes out of all 32 teams...

Hype:

"You can do a lot of things with a guy like him," Zimmer said of Johnson. "You can line him up as a tackle, but he can cover a back out of the backfield and you can blitz somebody and play man-to-man with other guys. There are just so many things you can use with a guy like him. He's shown he can he can do those things."

Truth:

"Zimmer knows Johnson is going to have to prove that "he can do those things" in pads, and that's why right now Zimmer can't make any judgments on the pass rush off of what his players and are doing in practices where they can only wear helmets for protection."

Truth:

"I really don't know about the pass rush until we can hit the quarterback. Now if they beat someone, they have to stop," Zimmer said. "When we get the pads on, we have to find linebackers that can beat backs. We'll get on that early in camp. And we haven't been able to play bump-and-run because of the rules, so I feel like we're behind there."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/big-...7c-492b59783b73

The syrup pours out of every club this time of year - they are all in the business of revving up fans and selling tickets...

Lawrence Sidbury was the best value at DE- fastest 10 yards, a natural 266 with the frame to gain 10-15lbs without hurting his speed, long arms, and smart- one knock, small school

Yes, I wanted us to draft Sidbury when we drafted Shawn Nelson. Happy either way, both were super values at that spot (4th round, in the 120s overall) but as I've said many a time, you can't have too many pass rushers.

In addition to Everette Brown, we also had the chance to draft Connor Barwin when we took Jairus Byrd. So minimally we passed up on 3-4 pass rushers who might end up having excellent NFL careers. Should be interesting to track the careers of all these guys.

Yes, I wanted us to draft Sidbury when we drafted Shawn Nelson. Happy either way, both were super values at that spot (4th round, in the 120s overall) but as I've said many a time, you can't have too many pass rushers.

In addition to Everette Brown, we also had the chance to draft Connor Barwin when we took Jairus Byrd. So minimally we passed up on 3-4 pass rushers who might end up having excellent NFL careers. Should be interesting to track the careers of all these guys.

Byrd was a surprise.

Brown was picked at 11 in rnd 2, Barwin at 14.

Barwin sure went up the draft charts after his combine performance - also a fair TE, fine ST'er, and evidently wasn't a bad long snapper. That's a few possible roster spots rolled up in one player...

the wrap on him is that he's a freak athlete but not a football player. I'm not surprised that he'd look amazing in what is basically non-contact drills without pads. He's certainly got all the potential in the world.

Yeah, but hopefully Maybin can put the package together in a few years. The Bills need him as a situational pass rusher sooner.

Any Docs out there? Wouldn't the NFL have turned this up at the combine?

Speaking of Michael Johnson playing last year with a sports hernia. Good question.

This issue is closely related to the issue that PFT has been harping on for awhile, how the increasing uber-secrecy of organizations such as New England to hide player injuries is subjecting these players to criticism. Apparently Laurence Maroney played with a pretty significant injury last year. Because he was forbidden to speak of it, he was flamed by Patriots' fans. There are several more examples of this dynamic.

If the player speaks out, he's violated a team rule. Other teams might view him as not a team player. But if he has a bad season and doesn't say anything, he's criticized by fans. I also doubt that NFL front offices would give him a contract based on how he would have played if he were healthy. This on top of the fact that the NFL is the only major sports league where player contracts are not guaranteed and that football is the most violent sport on earth with the shortest careers. I guess all of this is why I rarely accuse players of greed.

Lawrence Sidbury was the best value at DE- fastest 10 yards, a natural 266 with the frame to gain 10-15lbs without hurting his speed, long arms, and smart- one knock, small school

Yeah, but the most important thing is, how great has he looked so far in camp? :thumbsup:

I never made this post to say we shouldn't have drafted Maybin. I was just curious as to why Johnson wouldn't have let teams know about the injury. To do as well as he did at the combine AND have a sports hernia is pretty impressive. I thought it could only have helped him. I could be wrong

I too really hope Maybin works out. I was happy with the pick listening to guys like McShay and Mayock saying his first step is top notch. I just worry about his size. Brown and especially Johnson, even Ayers, are much bigger and are NFL ready now. I wasn't sold on Orakpo, but I did like brown. Although I think Byrd will be a good player, we needed help up front. We could have moved Whitener to FS, where everyone says he is better suited. And could have taken Brown in addition to Maybin. Even if one didn't pan out, I can't imagine they would both be busts. Just my opinion. I hope Maybin is a beast and a great player for years to come, but we had opportunities to make our pass rush even better and I don't think we took advantage

This is the point, right here.

And, I CAN imagine a scenario where both MAybin and Byrd do not pan out. Maybin is a little undersized, and Byrd, is not a safety....

This is the point, right here.

And, I CAN imagine a scenario where both MAybin and Byrd do not pan out. Maybin is a little undersized, and Byrd, is not a safety....

Maybin is undersized, but is very young. He still has growing to do, he will get bigger, just a question of time. Byrd was a CB in college which transitions very easy to safety.