Why TO was really cut by the Cowboys

Ah yes, Romo's "reputation" as a bum is all because of TO. That's hilarious. I guess TO is the one who suggested to Romo that he, Jessie, and Jason have a 3-some in Cabo before a playoff game? Or that Jessie sit in the stands blowing kisses and distracting Romo? And hey, we've seen that Romo throwing more passes to Witten than TO has really worked well for the Cowboys the past 2 years. I'm sure the practice bubble collapse was because TO "destroyed" it.

It's obvious you know little about TO, beyond what the media (that is, outside of john wawrow) has fed you. Or what you choose to believe. His 100th career TD was in the 3rd game of the 2005 season (he joined the Eagles in 2004).

Yeah, and someone else will catch all those TD passes. Like Roy Williams, who's caught more passes once in his 5-year career, but hasn't had more than 8 TD's in a season. But hey, it's just that simple! :rolleyes:

Yes. The 100th catch was in the 2005 season. Anyway................the failure of the Eagles to properly commemorate this is what set him off.

I know "little about TO"? How can you make that statement? I know of TO what TO has presented to the public and has been exhaustively reported in the press. There is no athlete in the past ten years who has so willingly and frequently jumped in front of a camera or microphone.

It is interesting you jump all over Romo for this silly Jessica simpson stuff and conclude he is a "bum", yet, despite reams of well documented poor "team" behavior by TO for years, you say I know "very little about TO". Has Romo been released by his last two teams or been suspended during a season for being dick? Has any other pro athlete that you know of?

But, for fun, why don't you tell me what I don't know about TO, since all that has been published is "obviously" very "little" of what TO really is like? And how did you come to learn all of this other stuff about TO? Don't be shy now. Do you also have some personal experience that helped you look past all that has been written and filmed about him?

And while you're at it, give me an honest description of your opinion regarding TOs antics PRIOR to his putting on a Bills hat.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. The 100th catch was in the 2005 season. Anyway................the failure of the Eagles to properly commemorate this is what set him off.

I know "little about TO"? How can you make that statement? I know of TO what TO has presented to the public and has been exhaustively reported in the press. There is no athlete in the past ten years who has so willingly and frequently jumped in front of a camera or microphone.

It is interesting you jump all over Romo for this silly Jessica simpson stuff and conclude he is a "bum", yet, despite reams of well documented poor "team" behavior by TO for years, you say I know "very little about TO". Has Romo been released by his last two teams or been suspended during a season for being dick? Has any other pro athlete that you know of?

But, for fun, why don't you tell me what I don't know about TO, since all that has been published is "obviously" very "little" of what TO really is like? And how did you come to learn all of this other stuff about TO? Don't be shy now. Do you also have some personal experience that helped you look past all that has been written and filmed about him?

And while you're at it, give me an honest description of your opinion regarding TOs antics PRIOR to his putting on a Bills hat.

SF: He had been with the team for 8 years and realized they weren't going anywhere (they haven't made the playoffs since the year before he left them). He also hated Garcia, who is a dick and has an overly-inflated opinion of his own talent (their careers post-breakup tell the tale). Now he shouldn't have said what he did about Garcia's sexual orientation publicly, but everyone was thinking it.

Philly: No, the team not celebrating his 100th TD was not what "set him off." And actually, I retract what I said about the media feeding you because NO ONE would ever claim that this is what started his downfall with the Eagles. All you know is that TO criticized the Eagles for not doing it, and 2 days later they suspend him for the remainder of the season. No, it was doomed from the beginning because of his icy relationship with McNabb, and his contract.

You'll recall that McNabb never wanted TO in the first place. But they worked together and did well. Then McNabb claimed that the Eagles didn't need TO after he broke his leg late in the 2004 season, and things really got bad after TO revealed that McNabb got tired and puked on the final drive of the 2004 SB, and that he'd rather play with Brett Favre. They didn't talk during training camp before the 2005 season. But they put aside their differences and again worked together and TO was top-3 in receptions, yards, and TD's in the NFL when the Eagles suspended him.

But mostly this was about his contract. You'll also recall that his original agent forgot to file the paperwork to make him an UFA while with the 49'ers, who traded him to Baltimore. He ultimately got traded to the Eagles, and accepted a below-market contract that was severely backloaded to boot, just to get out of Baltimore. And he might have accepted it had the Eagles not started to talk about how they could cut him should he not return from his broken ankle, which he rushed himself back from early in order to play, and have a great game, in the SB. He fired his old agent and hired Drew Rosenhaus, who as we all know is a master at orchestrating getting his players more money and/or out of situations in which they don't want to be. And he found a team willing to pay him what he was worth in the Cowboys.

Dallas: If you read the article linked in this thread, I mean REALLY read it, you'd realize that Jerruh is disappointed in Romo. And remember that Jerruh gave Romo a 6-year $67.5M contract extension with $31M in guaranteed money at the beginning of the 2007 season. And since Romo is 28 and TO 35 and he had far less invested in TO, he made the decision to make TO the scapegoat for Romo's lack of leadership, poor decisions off-the-field, and clutch play. But Jerruh is already regretting the decision, mostly because of the financial hit he's taken, while the on-field hit is yet to be felt. If anyone truly thinks that the Cowboys will be better off without TO and with Romo continuing to target Witten even more (I'm guessing the "someone else" who will probably catch what would have otherwise gone to TO), or relying on Roy Williams, who has only surpassed TO's production last year (except for TD's, since Williams has never caught more than 8 TD's in a season) once in his 5 years in the league, they're fooling themselves. But hey, we'll see, just like we'll see when it is that TO "destroys" the Bills.

basically they might as well say "Tony Romo is a little b*tch who can't handle anyone speaking up on the team"

Could you imagine the Bills getting rid of Thurman because Kelly couldn't "lead" properly with him opening his mouth all the time...

give me a break...

I for one think this team needs a leader...so why not TO :rolleyes:

I think TO is the right man at the right time for these Bills players. TO is a vocal leader, hard worker and sometimes volatile but he backs it all up with production on the field. I think these kids can learn a lot from TO this year and hopefully will continue to draw from his leadership even after he's gone. TE can wait a year to start making his role as a leader bigger.

I hope Tony gets even worse and they send us some O-line guys as well.

They already sent us an offensive lineman/receiver. TO's presence on the field is the best thing for the O line. TE has a quick release and with all of the options he'll have; TO, Evans, Reed, Johnson, Hardy, Fine, Freddy, Lynch and Roscoe blitzing should be kept to a minimum. They won't be able to stack the line on running plays either. IMO, his presence is far greater than just his abilities as a receiver.

My favorite part of the article;

“A lot of our players thought the world of Terrell – they still do. They loved the way he prepared and how hard he played, and everybody respected his skills and what he’d done in the league. And with him here, I think he was always going to carry that kind of weight.”

I don't think that's an indictment of Romo's leadership skills as much as it is a indication of how great TO's leadership skills are. It sounds to me like Romo couldn't take the leadership role from Owens but now that TO's gone it's his role to grow into. JMO

My favorite part of the article;

"A lot of our players thought the world of Terrell – they still do. They loved the way he prepared and how hard he played, and everybody respected his skills and what he'd done in the league. And with him here, I think he was always going to carry that kind of weight."

I don't think that's an indictment of Romo's leadership skills as much as it is a indication of how great TO's leadership skills are. It sounds to me like Romo couldn't take the leadership role from Owens but now that TO's gone it's his role to grow into. JMO

Actually, it is an indictment of Romo's leadership skills. Romo got that huge contract almost 2 full seasons ago, and should have established himself as THE leader of the offense by now. But he hasn't. Unless you consider throwing the ball more to Witten and being more concerned with banging starlets as being "a leader." The move to cut TO, as admitted by Jerruh, was so that Romo could become the leader, basically by default, since he's the highest-paid and most visible player on the team. We'll see if Romo can "carry that kind of weight." Most think he won't be able to do it.

Guest dog14787
Actually, it is an indictment of Romo's leadership skills. Romo got that huge contract almost 2 full seasons ago, and should have established himself as THE leader of the offense by now. But he hasn't. Unless you consider throwing the ball more to Witten and being more concerned with banging starlets as being "a leader." The move to cut TO, as admitted by Jerruh, was so that Romo could become the leader, basically by default, since he's the highest-paid and most visible player on the team. We'll see if Romo can "carry that kind of weight." Most think he won't be able to do it.

Once you've established yourself as Mr. Funny guy its hard to change everyone's opinion of you, clowns gets attention, but for all the wrong reasons and hardly anybody will take you seriously when the time comes to be serious. With a stern head Coach it probably wouldn't even matter, but with the Pillsbury dough boy as a head coach it does matter. I've never cared for Romo, especially after the botched play that was so stupid the big Tuna practically gave up coaching because of it( I mean not that I minded it). Just as bad as the Losman play if you ask me, maybe worse.

SF: He had been with the team for 8 years and realized they weren't going anywhere (they haven't made the playoffs since the year before he left them). He also hated Garcia, who is a dick and has an overly-inflated opinion of his own talent (their careers post-breakup tell the tale). Now he shouldn't have said what he did about Garcia's sexual orientation publicly, but everyone was thinking it.

Philly: No, the team not celebrating his 100th TD was not what "set him off." And actually, I retract what I said about the media feeding you because NO ONE would ever claim that this is what started his downfall with the Eagles. All you know is that TO criticized the Eagles for not doing it, and 2 days later they suspend him for the remainder of the season. No, it was doomed from the beginning because of his icy relationship with McNabb, and his contract.

You'll recall that McNabb never wanted TO in the first place. But they worked together and did well. Then McNabb claimed that the Eagles didn't need TO after he broke his leg late in the 2004 season, and things really got bad after TO revealed that McNabb got tired and puked on the final drive of the 2004 SB, and that he'd rather play with Brett Favre. They didn't talk during training camp before the 2005 season. But they put aside their differences and again worked together and TO was top-3 in receptions, yards, and TD's in the NFL when the Eagles suspended him.

But mostly this was about his contract. You'll also recall that his original agent forgot to file the paperwork to make him an UFA while with the 49'ers, who traded him to Baltimore. He ultimately got traded to the Eagles, and accepted a below-market contract that was severely backloaded to boot, just to get out of Baltimore. And he might have accepted it had the Eagles not started to talk about how they could cut him should he not return from his broken ankle, which he rushed himself back from early in order to play, and have a great game, in the SB. He fired his old agent and hired Drew Rosenhaus, who as we all know is a master at orchestrating getting his players more money and/or out of situations in which they don't want to be. And he found a team willing to pay him what he was worth in the Cowboys.

Dallas: If you read the article linked in this thread, I mean REALLY read it, you'd realize that Jerruh is disappointed in Romo. And remember that Jerruh gave Romo a 6-year $67.5M contract extension with $31M in guaranteed money at the beginning of the 2007 season. And since Romo is 28 and TO 35 and he had far less invested in TO, he made the decision to make TO the scapegoat for Romo's lack of leadership, poor decisions off-the-field, and clutch play. But Jerruh is already regretting the decision, mostly because of the financial hit he's taken, while the on-field hit is yet to be felt. If anyone truly thinks that the Cowboys will be better off without TO and with Romo continuing to target Witten even more (I'm guessing the "someone else" who will probably catch what would have otherwise gone to TO), or relying on Roy Williams, who has only surpassed TO's production last year (except for TD's, since Williams has never caught more than 8 TD's in a season) once in his 5 years in the league, they're fooling themselves. But hey, we'll see, just like we'll see when it is that TO "destroys" the Bills.

"Everybody was thinking" Garcia was gay? Really? Where did you "read" that? The "media"?

Because his agent never filed his papers in a timely fashion, TO assuemd he was a FA and he and his agent negotiated a deal with the Eagles. The 49ers claimed they still owned him and had traded him to Baltimore. SF, Balt and Philly reached a settlement and allowed TO to go to Philly for the the contract that he and his agent had negotiated. So if anyone is to blame for that contract, it's TO and his agent. So saying he signed it to avoid going to Balt is nonsense. He had always assumed he was going to Philly. If he later realized he made a poor decision in accepting this contract, whose fault is that?

The lack of acknowledgement of the 100th TD is what set off a chain of comments about his team that would lead to him being suspended. Although it may have begun earlier in the day when Hugh Douglas called him out in the locker room for being a douchebag.

Rosenhaus did a nice job orchestrating TO losing 4 paychecks that year.

I agree that Jones may be disappointed in Romo. But it is clear that they felt that TO would not support Romo in the locker room, so why keep him? Maybe they made the wrong decision, who knows?

And you can stop banging the drum about Romo and Whitten. Throwing a few (12) more short yardage passes to Whitten did not cause the Cowboys to fail last year, sport. Also, TO had more yards and more TDs than Whitten (more drops also). Williams will be the primary WR this season. With Whitten and To, there weren't many ball thrown Williams way when he arrived from Detroit. Guess we'll see.

"Everybody was thinking" Garcia was gay? Really? Where did you "read" that? The "media"?

Look pally, just because you're out of touch and/or only believe what you want to believe, it doesn't mean that other people are like that. Garcia being gay has been talked about for years, especially considering the San Francisco tie-in. As I said, TO shouldn't have said it publicly. But that didn't force him to leave. He left of his own volition.

Because his agent never filed his papers in a timely fashion, TO assuemd he was a FA and he and his agent negotiated a deal with the Eagles. The 49ers claimed they still owned him and had traded him to Baltimore. SF, Balt and Philly reached a settlement and allowed TO to go to Philly for the the contract that he and his agent had negotiated. So if anyone is to blame for that contract, it's TO and his agent. So saying he signed it to avoid going to Balt is nonsense. He had always assumed he was going to Philly. If he later realized he made a poor decision in accepting this contract, whose fault is that?

The lack of acknowledgement of the 100th TD is what set off a chain of comments about his team that would lead to him being suspended. Although it may have begun earlier in the day when Hugh Douglas called him out in the locker room for being a douchebag.

I never said that TO agreed to the contract to avoid going to Baltimore. I said that he accepted whatever the Eagles gave him in a "fine, I'll take whatever, just get me out of Baltimore." And yes, since he agreed to sign it, it's his fault. But when the team starts talking about cutting him with little cap hit should he not come back from his broken ankle, since he returned early to play in the SB, it's wholly understandable that TO would want a better deal with more guaranteed money. And again, this was the underlying problem he had with Philly, along with McNabb and Philly disrepecting him. The 100th TD non-celebration was the straw that broke the camel's back, if you will, and led him to go public with his comments about the classlessness of the organization. But again, he was in the top-3 in receiving stats when they suspended him, so he was more than doing his job while he was "destroying the team."

Rosenhaus did a nice job orchestrating TO losing 4 paychecks that year.

He more than made-up for it, with the contract he got from the Cowboys.

I agree that Jones may be disappointed in Romo. But it is clear that they felt that TO would not support Romo in the locker room, so why keep him? Maybe they made the wrong decision, who knows?

Great, so we're in agreement that Jones possibly made the wrong decision. Therefore TO's getting cut by them wasn't necessarily a reflection on TO. Huzzah!

And you can stop banging the drum about Romo and Whitten. Throwing a few (12) more short yardage passes to Whitten did not cause the Cowboys to fail last year, sport. Also, TO had more yards and more TDs than Whitten (more drops also). Williams will be the primary WR this season. With Whitten and To, there weren't many ball thrown Williams way when he arrived from Detroit. Guess we'll see.

I can more easily argue that throwing more passes to Witten hurt the team more than throwing more passes to TO would have done, because Romo has been a disappointment with his decision-making. And as you noted, TO had more yards and TD's despite fewer receptions. Hmmmm.

I just don't think it's that big of a problem for him, living in TO's shadow makes it hard for anyone to get ahead of him. BTW, what's wrong with banging starlets? :lol:

I just don't think it's that big of a problem for him, living in TO's shadow makes it hard for anyone to get ahead of him. BTW, what's wrong with banging starlets? :lol:

Well, as the "leader of the offense," he'll need to learn to deal with that. It's not like everyone he encounters will check his ego at the door.

As for banging starlets...

I agree...the QB is the defacto leader of the offense, regardless of anything else. When those guys are in the huddle, they are looking to the QB for his presence, his calmness and his leadership. What it tells me is that Romo is lacking in these qualities and his teammates basically started looking elsewhere for it. It is not normal for a team to go to a WR for leadership, unless the defacto leader is not up to par in their minds...

Guest dog14787
My favorite Tony Romo play: I........only........need.........1..........more..........foot.........for the TD. Oopsie daisies! :devil:

I loved that play <_<

basically they might as well say "Tony Romo is a little b*tch who can't handle anyone speaking up on the team"

Could you imagine the Bills getting rid of Thurman because Kelly couldn't "lead" properly with him opening his mouth all the time...

give me a break...

Can you imagine Thurman starting a rival faction in the locker room and attacking Kelly? Nope. He got angry, but never even thought of splitting the team, leader though he was. There's a reason that T.O. is on his fourth team despite being one of the better WRs in league history, and that Thurman didn't get to his second team till he was used up but didn't know it at the end of his career. Thurman was a team player.

Can you imagine Thurman starting a rival faction in the locker room and attacking Kelly? Nope. He got angry, but never even thought of splitting the team, leader though he was. There's a reason that T.O. is on his fourth team despite being one of the better WRs in league history, and that Thurman didn't get to his second team till he was used up but didn't know it at the end of his career. Thurman was a team player.

Can you imagine Kelly or Marino putting up with another player attacking them? HELL NO, because they were the LEADERS on their team.

Not exactly. Romo has had no problem throwing the ball more to Jason Witten the past 2 seasons. What the Jones' are saying is that TO was the actual leader of the offense, but they want Romo to be the leader, to grow up, get in shape, and take his job more seriously.

Get in shape---what empirical evidence do you have that he has not been in shape