I would plan on T.O. costing us $9 M + a year next season

SKOOBY

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me the biggest question is when and if he leaves and IMO he'll leave after a year as long as he's productive then who takes a leadership role that he brings when he departs. I hope he stays but if not we need to bring in a player that turns up the volume in practice, meetings, etc much the way Jim Kelly did. It's not all about talent but when you have a talented confident player that makes players around them better then you have a winner.

Huh?

There is no way he is in Buffalo after the 2009 season. He is here now because we were the only team willing to pay him 6+ million a year for one year. He is using the Bills as a stepping stone to hopefully get one last mulit-year contract from a contender (or anyone that will give it to him). Buffalo is too small of a media market for his Shrek sized ego. If you look at his track record, you don't want him more than one season anyway, after the first season he has destroyed quarterbacks and locker rooms everywhere he has been.

There is no way he is in Buffalo after the 2009 season. He is here now because we were the only team willing to pay him 6+ million a year for one year. He is using the Bills as a stepping stone to hopefully get one last mulit-year contract from a contender (or anyone that will give it to him). Buffalo is too small of a media market for his Shrek sized ego. If you look at his track record, you don't want him more than one season anyway, after the first season he has destroyed quarterbacks and locker rooms everywhere he has been.

If TO has a good year he will be back. TO loves the spotlight and even coming to Buffalo has not hurt that spotlight. If he has a good year the fans of Buffalo will treat him like a GOD. 80,000 people loving on TO is something that TO will eat up. If he performs no way the Bills let him go and no way he will want to go. They will pay him whatever to keep him. I never thought the Bills would sign him but I just believe in the Flutiemania effect of the late 90's will be the TOmania this year. Buffalo fans love the US against the World fight. And the world wants TO to fail and nothing brings a bigger smile to Bills fans than our guys giving a big FU to the world.

The "TO destroys QB's/teams/the ozone layer" lines are hackneyed at best at this point. Garcia is a CFL refugee who was made by Rice and TO and who has done little since leaving the 49'ers, a team which has sucked since TO left them. I guess you could (weakly) argue that TO "destroyed" that team so badly, that the effects are still felt to this day. As for the Eagles, they've done alright without him, although they haven't had a season like their 2004 season with him, and McNabb just signed an extension. And the Cowboys are being "destroyed" by Jerruh more than anything TO could do to them.

I just never could figure out why everyone cares what the Bills spend. If the guy is productive, then pay him. It isnt like Ralph is giving you a cut of what he makes off of tickets

It is called the salary cap. Some people even feel it has an impact on the game. Especially for a C2C team.

I'd be surprised if T.O. would re-sign with the Bills, just because I don't think the F.O. will pony up for a much bigger contract. More than likely, he'll get only one year offers from any NFL team in the future. It seems to be the only way to get him to behave. Plus, who knows how many years are left in a 36 year old WR?

The "TO destroys QB's/teams/the ozone layer" lines are hackneyed at best at this point. Garcia is a CFL refugee who was made by Rice and TO and who has done little since leaving the 49'ers, a team which has sucked since TO left them. I guess you could (weakly) argue that TO "destroyed" that team so badly, that the effects are still felt to this day. As for the Eagles, they've done alright without him, although they haven't had a season like their 2004 season with him, and McNabb just signed an extension. And the Cowboys are being "destroyed" by Jerruh more than anything TO could do to them.

well, if TO has a good year here then i fully expect the Jets to make a move for him next year, hopefully giving him a multi-year contract where at age 37 onwards he can suck in peace, basking in the Meadowlands limelight, giving Dirty Sanchez & Coach Ryan nightmares

Garcia is a CFL refugee who was made by Rice and TO and who has done little since leaving the 49'ers, a team which has sucked since TO left them.

Garcia only led both the Eagles and the Bucs to playoff berths. That was without Rice and T.O.

Granted, having a Jerry Rice and/or T.O. on a team definitely helps.

Can't we just enjoy the upcoming season before worrying and arguing about what's going to happen in 2010 ?

Why is it that so many people need to predict doom so badly that they will look almost 2 years into the future to find it ?

well, if TO has a good year here then i fully expect the Jets to make a move for him next year, hopefully giving him a multi-year contract where at age 37 onwards he can suck in peace, basking in the Meadowlands limelight, giving Dirty Sanchez & Coach Ryan nightmares

Again, if TO has a great year (and I pretty much expect him to have a year in decline from his previous HOF worthy production- this will both not merit anyone wanting to give him a huge long-term deal but ironically be far better than any Bill WR has produced as our #2 WR in years) then the Bills will still have the ability to tag him and stop him from going to NYJ or anywhere else.

If this were to happen and play out TO would likely throw a hissy fit and not be worth the Bills effort to tag him and keep this malcontent around.

However, them is the rules and how the game is played and the Bills being overly good businessmen (which is different from being an overly good sportsman and the focus on winning the business rather than a single-minded commitment to winning the sport is part of why we have such a continuing record of failing to make the playoffs). If TO had a great year the Bills would almost certainly use the tag to create leverage on TO and a team interested in him.

Garcia only led both the Eagles and the Bucs to playoff berths. That was without Rice and T.O.

Granted, having a Jerry Rice and/or T.O. on a team definitely helps.

The 2007 Bucs made the playoffs thanks to winning a lousy division with a 9-7 record (while no other team broke .500). And Garcia had just 2,440 yards and 13 TD's. And during 2006, he took over for an injured McNabb when the Eagles were 5-4, and the Eagles have consistently made the playoffs this decade without him.

If we have any level of success at all this year on offense, I think it will directly be because of Owens. I would plan on him costing us $9 M plus and us actually keeping him on a 3 year deal. When the popcorn flies, it will need big butter.

Get your butter ready for that popcorn.

Who the f_ _ _ cares about next year ... let's see how this one goes.

The 2007 Bucs made the playoffs thanks to winning a lousy division at 9-7, while no other team broke .500. And Garcia had just 2,440 yards and 13 TD's. And during 2006, he tookover for an injured McNabb when the Eagles were 5-4, and they Eagles have consistently made the playoffs this decade without him.

In 2006, Jeff Garcia led the Eagles to a 5-1 record as a starter with his only loss coming at Indy, while McNabb was 5-5 as a starter. Garcia saved the Eagles season that year.

In 2007, Garcia played in 13 games. The Bucs had an 8-5 record with Garcia, while Luke McCown was 1-2.

To me, he's been a pretty good QB. Better than what we've had, but that really isn't saying much. :thumbsup:

As far as this thread goes, I can see everyone's point about we still haven't started this season. Let's see how T.O. does THIS season before we break open the bank.

If TO has a good year he will be back. TO loves the spotlight and even coming to Buffalo has not hurt that spotlight. If he has a good year the fans of Buffalo will treat him like a GOD. 80,000 people loving on TO is something that TO will eat up. If he performs no way the Bills let him go and no way he will want to go. They will pay him whatever to keep him. I never thought the Bills would sign him but I just believe in the Flutiemania effect of the late 90's will be the TOmania this year. Buffalo fans love the US against the World fight. And the world wants TO to fail and nothing brings a bigger smile to Bills fans than our guys giving a big FU to the world.

What the heck world are you living in? I don't think all fans if any will treat him like a God-leave that up to himself. They won't let him go? How can they stop him-he is on a one year contract. They will pay him whatever? These are the Bills you are talking about, the ones that wouldn't pay Pat Williams-who is way more valuable than Owens especially at the point of their careers where the Bills had to decide whether to pay him or not. Us against the world? I guess we are losing that fight then, since the world has done alot more winning than we have.

What the heck world are you living in? I don't think all fans if any will treat him like a God-leave that up to himself. They won't let him go? How can they stop him-he is on a one year contract. They will pay him whatever? These are the Bills you are talking about, the ones that wouldn't pay Pat Williams-who is way more valuable than Owens especially at the point of their careers where the Bills had to decide whether to pay him or not. Us against the world? I guess we are losing that fight then, since the world has done alot more winning than we have.

[/qu

Wait and see.