Owens Daniels

Owen Daniels=Jay Novacek

I'd say that's an excellent comparison. He does remind me alot of Novacek also. Worth $7 million per? Depends on if you believe he is the one guy your offense is missing.

Wants to be the highest paid TE in the league. Is there anyone out there who thinks he is worth the $7 million a year?

He's got a point though ... but if he wants to be the highest paid TE in the league ... I don't know ... maybe he should BE THE BEST TE IN THE LEAGUE!!!!

Houston, we have a problem.

7 mil for a TE? The top TE's are making just over 4 mil, I think. He's not anywhere near that good. I don't think there's any NFL team that would shatter the Tight End pay scale for Owen Daniels.

The top TE is making more than $6 mill and Owen is better than he is.

The top TE is making more than $6 mill and Owen is better than he is.

So you're saying Daniels is worth $7 million? Most felt the Bucs were crazy giving Winslow that contract. Makes T.O. look like a bargain.

I'd have to rate Witten, Gates and Gonzalez at the top before even considering mentioning Daniels or Winslow, and I'd throw them in with Dallas Clark, Greg Olsen and Chris Cooley.

I agree that Houston has a huge problem. Tying that much up with their Receiving corps along with Andre Johnson may cripple them capwise.

Wants to be the highest paid TE in the league. Is there anyone out there who thinks he is worth the $7 million a year?

I personally feel that the TE position is way undervalued in the league. I am really surprised that Tony Gonzales or Gates hasn't gotten 7 million dollars at some point in their carers. Having a good tightend that can block and catch is just as valuable as a wide receiver or a running back. So taking the comparison market out of the equation I think he is worth around 7 million.

But if you take into account the market I would say no he shouldn't get that money when there are better players making less. But I think teams are going to be realizing the value of having a tightend who can be an effective blocker and a big factor in the receiving game is so valuable to any team and they will pay them accordingly. The Bills not having a guy like that for how long has made me see just how valuable a player like that is.

He will probably be the best receiving TE in the league after this year.

Didn't see this post...I'd say doubtful. His lack of TD's bothers me, as well as his big games only occur in losses. Sure, teams pass when they're behind, but it seems like Daniels only pads his numbers in garbage time. If Gates has a 100 yard game, the Chargers are usually on the winning end. Witten also. In tight games, the Texans are throwing to Andre Johnson, they're not looking at the 7 million dollar wannabe.

Didn't see this post...I'd say doubtful. His lack of TD's bothers me, as well as his big games only occur in losses. Sure, teams pass when they're behind, but it seems like Daniels only pads his numbers in garbage time. If Gates has a 100 yard game, the Chargers are usually on the winning end. Witten also. In tight games, the Texans are throwing to Andre Johnson, they're not looking at the 7 million dollar wannabe.

If Daniels had more consistent QB play he would be a perennial 900-1000 yard guy. However, Schaub is injured around 5-8 games a year, and he is stuck being thrown to by a backup.

Stats with Schaub:

5 catches 61 yards per game

Without Schaub:

2.5 catches 25 yards per game

If he had Schaub all of last year, he would have been on pace for:

80 catches 976 yards

The guy is also only getting better, as his numbers have gone up every single year. Within 2 years the guy will most likely be the best receiving TE in the entire NFL. However, he needs a decent QB (something pretty much all the top TEs have).

This is not accurate. Owen Daniels was a beast last year and was a go to guy in many of the games. In each of his first three seasons he has improved. Andre Johnson is arguably the best wideout in football, of course he's the first option. He'd be the first option on almost every team. Owen Daniels is going to be the best TE in the league someday.

This is not accurate. Owen Daniels was a beast last year and was a go to guy in many of the games. In each of his first three seasons he has improved. Andre Johnson is arguably the best wideout in football, of course he's the first option. He'd be the first option on almost every team. Owen Daniels is going to be the best TE in the league someday.

Is Owen Daniels a good blocker? As far as best tight end in the league someday I don't know he is already a top receiving guy but unless he is at least a good blocker I don't see it happening. I think a guy who can be good blocking and a very good receiving threat is more valuable than a guy who is just a great receiver and a bad blocker.

Here's the tight end cap numbers for 2008:

Gonzalez, Tony $5,032,215

Winslow, Kellen $4,599,584

Smith, L.J. $4,523,320

Gates, Antonio $4,200,840

Graham, Daniel $4,150,000

Witten, Jason $4,110,760

McMichael, Randy $3,901,440

Kleinsasser, Jim $3,850,000

Heap, Todd $3,502,180

Davis, Vernon $3,340,000

Shiancoe, Odai $3,200,000

Kelly, Reggie $3,200,000

Miller, Zach $3,139,130

Cooley, Chris $3,028,333

Lee, Donald $2,881,720

Utecht, Ben $2,671,706

A few of the players have signed new contracts since:

Tampa Bay’s Kellen Winslow ($20.1 million) is first among tight ends in guarantees. After he was traded from Cleveland to the Buccaneers this year, he signed a six-year, $36.1 million contract.

Indianapolis’ Dallas Clark ($27 million) receives the most money over the first three years of his contract. He signed a six-year, $36 million deal last year.

Atlanta’s Tony Gonzalez ($7 million per year) leads in average per year because of the five-year, $35 million extension he signed with Kansas City two years ago.

Looks like Dallas' Jason Witten is woefully underpaid as is Pittsburgh's Heath Miller, who doesn't even make the list.