Jason Peters Pass-Blocking Skills

Yes, that's what Peters & all his apologists keep telling themselves too - the imagination is a wonderful thing, but the sack was Peters' fault.

I still think the sack is the fault of a coaching staff that refused to run the ball late in the game.

Last I checked, you can't get sacked on a running play.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm willing to bet that Peters will be a pro bowl player for Philly. Mcnabb will make life easier for him because he has great pocket awareness and great mobility. As for Peters poor play this season, it was pretty obvious he didn't want to be here and he just didn't care.

I still think the sack is the fault of a coaching staff that refused to run the ball late in the game.

Last I checked, you can't get sacked on a running play.

I would tend to agree. Why in the world you would put the game in the hands of Losman and try that

play at that time is beyond me. Jauron specifically took credit for that call after the game and should

have been fired right there.

That's actually really, really easy to explain. His peers and opposing coaches think he's better than everyone else in the AFC, and therefore voted for him.

He didn't win the fan voting, so that's the ONLY way he could've made it.

Certainly. Makes perfect sense. Problem is, that still doesn't add much legitimacy to the selection.

The wide receivers, running backs, d-backs, etc. throughout the league certainly have absolutely no way of knowing exactly how well all the Left Offensive Tackles - that they don't personally face and that their teams perhaps also don't play that season - handled their blocking assignments.

Maybe, just maybe, it really is about name recognition...

link

That's actually really, really easy to explain. His peers and opposing coaches think he's better than everyone else in the AFC, and therefore voted for him.

He didn't win the fan voting, so that's the ONLY way he could've made it.

Right. But consider that he only played in 13 games, and against 10 teams. So less than a third of the league actually played against him last year, which makes me wonder how valuable the players vote is. I'm pretty sure that the players don't have the time to be watching games against teams they don't play in the middle of the season. So how many of the players from the 22 teams that didn't play against him last year just decided to go with the status quo and go with the guy who was voted in the year before?

I doubt it will happen, but maybe the player's voting in the future should somehow take into account whether you're voting for a player whom you've actually played against that year?

Right. But consider that he only played in 13 games, and against 10 teams. So less than a third of the league actually played against him last year, which makes me wonder how valuable the players vote is. I'm pretty sure that the players don't have the time to be watching games against teams they don't play in the middle of the season. So how many of the players from the 22 teams that didn't play against him last year just decided to go with the status quo and go with the guy who was voted in the year before?

I doubt it will happen, but maybe the player's voting in the future should somehow take into account whether you're voting for a player whom you've actually played against that year?

Even then, how many players that vote actually lined up opposite Jason Peters? (It'd be interesting to see the votes of those that did!)

No way a d-back (with the exception of maybe Abram Elam :devil: ), wide receiver, running back, etc. has any knowledge of how FatBoy handled his blocking assignments - it's pure politics, word-of-mouth, and name-recognition.

I'm willing to bet that Peters will be a pro bowl player for Philly. Mcnabb will make life easier for him because he has great pocket awareness and great mobility. As for Peters poor play this season, it was pretty obvious he didn't want to be here and he just didn't care.

If he gives up less than 11 Sacks, you are no doubt right.

Certainly. Makes perfect sense. Problem is, that still doesn't add much legitimacy to the selction.

The wide receivers, running backs, d-backs, etc. throughout the league certainly have absolutely no way of knowing exactly how well all the Left Offensive Tackles - that they don't personally face and that their teams perhaps also don't play that season - handled their blocking assignments.

Maybe, just maybe, it really is about name recognition...

link

I'm not advocating the process, I'm simply answering the question as to how he was selected to the pro bowl.

Think of it this way, guys: 2008-09 was Peters' 3rd season as a starting OT in the NFL. In those three seasons, he'd have faced every team in the AFC and 12 teams (75%) in the NFC. I think it's fair to say that the opponents Peters faced comprise a reasonable sample space within the league.

For me, the bottom line on Peters is that he didn't play well in 2008 because he missed training camp and was 8 weeks behind in terms of getting in football shape. I think he'll return to form in 2009, and that I'll wish that Buffalo had a LT as good as him.

Even then, how many players that vote actually lined up opposite Jason Peters? (It'd be interesting to see the votes of those that did!)

No way a d-back (with the exception of maybe Abram Elam :devil: ), wide receiver, running back, etc. has any knowledge of how FatBoy handled his blocking assignments - it's pure politics, word-of-mouth, and name-recognition.

Not trying to torque your jaw here dude, but isn't that sort of like saying that there's no way a poster on TSW would have the first clue as to how Peters handled his blocking assignments? That sure doesn't stop people from railing on him though.

Not trying to torque your jaw here dude, but isn't that sort of like saying that there's no way a poster on TSW would have the first clue as to how Peters handled his blocking assignments? That sure doesn't stop people from railing on him though.

Or from shouting at the top of their lungs how great he is. :devil:

I'm not advocating the process, I'm simply answering the question as to how he was selected to the pro bowl.

Fair enough, but I think it was probably a rhetorical question, since we seem to agree that he had a bad year last year.

Think of it this way, guys: 2008-09 was Peters' 3rd season as a starting OT in the NFL. In those three seasons, he'd have faced every team in the AFC and 12 teams (75%) in the NFC. I think it's fair to say that the opponents Peters faced comprise a reasonable sample space within the league.

For me, the bottom line on Peters is that he didn't play well in 2008 because he missed training camp and was 8 weeks behind in terms of getting in football shape. I think he'll return to form in 2009, and that I'll wish that Buffalo had a LT as good as him.

I think that he certainly has the tools to be a dominant LT for years to come, the question which remains to be answered is will he continue to work now that he has his fat contract. I don't the think the Bills were confident in this, which is why they traded him rather than paying him.

Or from shouting at the top of their lungs how great he is. ;)

I'm not sure I understand your point...if you're insinuating that I'm one of the shouters, very well then, I've worn worse reputations in my time. I do think Peters is a great player. I think he had a down year (particularly in the 1st half of the season), and you can refer to my post herein that explains my thoughts on that.

I think it makes more sense to evaluate a player based on his overall performance over 2-1/2+ years than it does to evaluate him based on 11 of the 700+ plays he took part in last year, which is what the vast majority of the Peters-bashers elect to do.

What I do understand, however, is how it was that he went to the pro bowl a 2nd time...the guys that get paid to play, and the guys that get paid to coach the guys that play, picked him, which is what my original response explained.

And yes, I'm one of those people that thinks NFL players, coaches, and GMs (this even includes Dick Jauron) know more about the game--and the abilities/aptitudes of those that play it--than the posters on this message board.

I think the difference is that the poster's on this board don't have their hands full trying to execute their own assignment on Sundays. (They have their hands full of pretzels, and fermented beverages.)

I fully agree. But let's face it, with all the publicity Peters has gotten, and moving to a successful big market, high-profile team, there's no way that JP does NOT get voted to more pro bowls. He has the name recognition now to get voted in for the next 3-4 years just by showing up and starting (regardless of how well he does it). JP's contract is now THE measuring bar for other LT/OL contracts, with articles referencing "Peters-type money". Everyone knows he got a fat contract, so unless he gets cut, that means he must be the best...for better or worse (mostly worse), that's the way the system works.

I fully agree. But let's face it, with all the publicity Peters has gotten, and moving to a successful big market, high-profile team, there's no way that JP does NOT get voted to more pro bowls. He has the name recognition now to get voted in for the next 3-4 years just by showing up and starting (regardless of how well he does it). JP's contract is now THE measuring bar for other LT/OL contracts, with articles referencing "Peters-type money". Everyone knows he got a fat contract, so unless he gets cut, that means he must be the best...for better or worse (mostly worse), that's the way the system works.

Jake Long makes more than Peters per year. And Jason Smith will soon make more. And so will the next top-3 OT next year. And if Peters keeps making Pro Bowls, he'll ask for another raise in about 2 years.

Jake Long makes more than Peters per year. And Jason Smith will soon make more. And so will the next top-3 OT next year. And if Peters keeps making Pro Bowls, he'll ask for another raise in about 2 years.

Yeah, but they're rookies, and rookies always have to put in their dues before they're recognized....that's why JP got in before Long or Clady last year, even though JP didn't play well enough to hold Long's or Clady's jockstrap last year. And now JP's in the NFC....if 5 tackles go from the NFC, how is JP not going to be one of them? Last year they sent Jordan Gross, Carolina; Walter Jones, Seattle; Chris Samuels, Washington; Flozell Adams, Dallas; and Jammal Brown, New Orleans.

JP will be voted into the probowl next year, count on it.