New D-line coach

I believe that coaching is more important in football than any other aspect. A group of star athletes won't perform well together if they aren't working together as one. On the other hand, a group of mediocre players can over-achieve with excellent coaching. To the point: I'm liking what I hear about our new D-line coach. The guy looks to be the best available at that position in this past offseason, so props to the F.O. for getting him. And, he's bringing in less orthodox training - the martial arts stuff - to help his players. I like that he takes such an approach, which translates to me as a guy who's turning over every stone when it comes to getting the most out of his positional players. So, I'm thinking that we could see many of the same guys, but at a different level. Won't it be nice to see our D-line dictating plays this year?

As an aside, I hope the Bills go after Ellis, if for no other reason than to stop the Patriots from getting him.

The martial arts helped Andre Tippet become a HOFer. I hope that it can help someone on our DL to accomplish the same.

Remember the old school Patriots talking about sqeezing silly putty claiming it strengthened their hands to help strip the ball and create turnovers. Go for it Jauron.

The guy looks to be the best available at that position in this past offseason, so props to the F.O. for getting him.

Agree -- like this guy, but, what if Kollar hadn't left on his own? In all likelihood, he'd still be the guy because the FO does not seem to move aggressively to replace ineffective coaches. We'd probably still have Fairchild had he not taken the Colorado job. However, it's good that things have worked out as they did in this case.

I believe that coaching is more important in football than any other aspect. A group of star athletes won't perform well together if they aren't working together as one. On the other hand, a group of mediocre players can over-achieve with excellent coaching. To the point: I'm liking what I hear about our new D-line coach. The guy looks to be the best available at that position in this past offseason, so props to the F.O. for getting him. And, he's bringing in less orthodox training - the martial arts stuff - to help his players. I like that he takes such an approach, which translates to me as a guy who's turning over every stone when it comes to getting the most out of his positional players. So, I'm thinking that we could see many of the same guys, but at a different level. Won't it be nice to see our D-line dictating plays this year?

As an aside, I hope the Bills go after Ellis, if for no other reason than to stop the Patriots from getting him.

I will agree for the most part. Just read the bruce smith article about him choosing ted cotrell to induct him into the hall. Bruce says that he would not have been the player he was, if not for ted-

I read that too.

'Defensive line coach Bob Sanders has been focusing a lot on hand technique with respect to pass rush with his linemen, and took it up another notch bringing in Joe Kim, a Tae Kwan Do expert that has worked with six NFL teams over the past 18 years.'

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/691121.html

I read that too.

'Defensive line coach Bob Sanders has been focusing a lot on hand technique with respect to pass rush with his linemen, and took it up another notch bringing in Joe Kim, a Tae Kwan Do expert that has worked with six NFL teams over the past 18 years.'

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/691121.html

I like the Defensive coaches Kim has learned from - Belicheat and Saban. We need some of that to rub off on our DL in the worst way!

In other news: I know that you all are reading the OTA reports. How do you feel that our DL are getting "would be" sacks against the offense?! I hate hearing that Kelsay is getting sacks, it makes me think that if Butler cant block an ineffective pass rusher such as Kelsay, how is he going to fare against better competition??

Just depends on whether what he is teaching resonates with the players.