Cowboys Cut Greg Ellis

Veteran OLB Greg Ellis 8th overall pick of Cowboys in 1998 released in salary cap , youth movement.

He was a ProBowl pick as recently as 2007 with 12.5 sack that year, 77 career. This guy still has gas!!

Russ , are you awake?????

If he is signed cheap the Cowboys are on hook for the differance in salary up to 1.5 mil a year total salary.

I'd take him if we could get him cheap, but I doubt OBD takes any interest - he's a pass-rushing DE in our scheme, which is basically what we got Maybin for. Our greater need is a pure LB to bump Ellison down...

Guest dog14787

hmmmmm sounds interesting, recent pro bowler, and we need a pass rush

lets get er done Brandon :devil:

This is a player who'd be a terrific addition at LDE. he is undersized enough for DJ to like him as an end, though I don't know how well he'd rush the passer being an end over an OLB in a 3-4. Either way he's a solid player that be good for a 2year deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4224851

and his scouts inc info:

Grade: 75 | Key

Alert: None

Comment: Ellis is 10-year veteran with very good size and adequate speed and quickness. He reacts quickly to the run. He has good size and strength to maintain effective hand use. He has long arms to stack and shed. He will get upright with his pad level, but has good strength and balance to keep his feet. He's a former defensive end who understands leverage. He can play physical and get off blocks with good timing. He is still quick enough to work his feet and re-gain outside leverage. He is also quick enough to contain and force running backs back inside. He has adequate acceleration in space with good effort to pursue from behind. As a pass rusher, the Cowboys will bring him off the edge from a three-point stance where he has good success recording sacks when his hand is on the ground. He has strength in his upper body to re-work his hands inside then react off of the offensive tackle's technique. He's physical with his hands and works to finish. He is also strong with the ability to rip inside-out. He has a variety of pass-rush moves including spins and counters. He does a good job turning speed to power. He will get upright on counter moves, but comes hard inside and has strength into traffic. He has some limitations in coverage due to his lack of burst in space. He will stall changing direction and lack the quickness to break down consistently, when isolated.

I'd take him if we could get him cheap, but I doubt OBD takes any interest - he's a pass-rushing DE in our scheme, which is basically what we got Maybin for. Our greater need is a pure LB to bump Ellison down...

why not put him at DE and slide Maybin to LB (ala: Shawn Merriman), Maybin is quick enough, and he's got an LB number already....

Patriots probably are going to land this guy. Is a better fit for him, as he would play same position there, and would allow him to play to his strenghts. Here he would basically be competing with Maybin for playing time, and all though I think he wins that competition, that sets Maybin back. I dont think he can play linebacker in 4-3 is main reason I say that. So he would mainly a situation pass rusher, just like Maybin most likely will be. For the money it would likely take to beat out the patriots for his services, I am not sure it its a smart move.

This is a player who'd be a terrific addition at LDE. he is undersized enough for DJ to like him as an end, though I don't know how well he'd rush the passer being an end over an OLB in a 3-4. Either way he's a solid player that be good for a 2year deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4224851

and his scouts inc info:

Grade: 75 | Key

Alert: None

Comment: Ellis is 10-year veteran with very good size and adequate speed and quickness. He reacts quickly to the run. He has good size and strength to maintain effective hand use. He has long arms to stack and shed. He will get upright with his pad level, but has good strength and balance to keep his feet. He's a former defensive end who understands leverage. He can play physical and get off blocks with good timing. He is still quick enough to work his feet and re-gain outside leverage. He is also quick enough to contain and force running backs back inside. He has adequate acceleration in space with good effort to pursue from behind. As a pass rusher, the Cowboys will bring him off the edge from a three-point stance where he has good success recording sacks when his hand is on the ground. He has strength in his upper body to re-work his hands inside then react off of the offensive tackle's technique. He's physical with his hands and works to finish. He is also strong with the ability to rip inside-out. He has a variety of pass-rush moves including spins and counters. He does a good job turning speed to power. He will get upright on counter moves, but comes hard inside and has strength into traffic. He has some limitations in coverage due to his lack of burst in space. He will stall changing direction and lack the quickness to break down consistently, when isolated.

Gil Brandt thinks very highly of Ellis maybe we can get TO to talk wiht him?

Nice, rpcolosi - and everything I read there meshes with what our new D-line coach is implementing. We'd want him as a DE, and as the Giants recently showed, you can't have too many good D-linemen. He'd probably take less going somewhere he likes, because, as I understand it, he's guaranteed money from Dallas. Why not? If, for no better reason, than to stop the Pat's from getting him. And, Maybin could certainly use all the tutelage he can get.

Who knows what the Bills front office thinks about it, though. I do think it's a given that the Pat's will be pursuing him.

Can T.O. sell Ellis on coming here over Pats?

Hmmm would you rather go to a team that is a proven winner with a HC who seems to do well with veteran players and plays a style of defense that you've played the last few years and might ultimately better fits what you do as a player or sign with a team that hasn't made the playoffs since 1999 and plays a brand of defense that really doesn't play to your strengths?

If he is signed cheap the Cowboys are on hook for the differance in salary up to 1.5 mil a year total salary.

it doesnt work like that in the NFL since salaries are not gauranteed