Central Air problem

I don't know if any of your guys can help me with this but i would appreciate some advice either way since I'm not savy with this type of equipment.

I bought a house during the colder weather and didnt have to use the air any. Well here lately I have had to turn the air on and it slowly but surely eventually cools the house down.....well I noticed over the past day or so that the fan on the outside unit isnt turning. I tried to flip the breakers on and off......to the one with the thermostat as well as the box unit that heats/cools that in my washer/dryer room thing, that is connected to the outside unit. I went out there to look around I seem some leaves at the bottom of it inside but nothing much and nothing out of normal ...well for myself. I dont know, I did several searches and see different reasons but Im still unsure

Anyone that can point me in a good direction I would greatly appreciate.

In a split system, the outside unit houses the condenser and compressor - if the fan isn't turning that unit isn't functioning and you're not going to get cold air. Lots of reasons why this could happen - you'd need an HVAC tech to diagnose.

I have an ancient system at my house, installed by the previous owner in 1978 and a couple of times the condeser/compressor stopped. I figured the system had finally died, but when the HVAC guy came out he told me it stopped because a pressure switched had been tripped - the system had gotten dirty and was working too hard so it shut itself down. Both times he was able to do a cleaning and get it working again for about $50 - a great deal for me and I was thrilled to know I had an honest guy who was going to give me the real story rather than sell me a new system.

Good luck.

well again, I just turned the switch labeled "furnace" on and went and cleaned the filter door and put in a new filter, didnt realize how nasty it had gotten with a cat in the house......sheesh

and after that I went and kicked it on at the thermostat.......started right up.....cooled the house in minutes, actually got cold

I do need to sooner than later get some one out to give it a once over (when the money is there) because I bet its been years since its been done

If the top of the unit is easily removable, it's not a bad practice to give the coils a good clean/rinse once in a while. Switch the unit off, remove the top, spray the coil(s) with AC cleaner or something similar to Simple Green. Let stand for a few minutes then rinse real well with water. Will help with the efficiency of the unit.

well again, I just turned the switch labeled "furnace" on and went and cleaned the filter door and put in a new filter, didnt realize how nasty it had gotten with a cat in the house......sheesh

and after that I went and kicked it on at the thermostat.......started right up.....cooled the house in minutes, actually got cold

I do need to sooner than later get some one out to give it a once over (when the money is there) because I bet its been years since its been done

Its amazing how those units actually like to get air isn't it? I know as I went through the same thing about 6 years ago. Funny how I change those things every thirty days now :thumbsup: BTW, every HVAC guy i have ever talked to said there really is no diffrence in the filters, no matter what they say on the pacgage , you should change them every month, so just buy the cheapest ones they have. Kinda like HDMI cables that way

Try to replace the filter once a quarter (if you're like me you'll be lucky to remember 3 times per year[plenz is the exception to the rule]). It is amazing how much more effective those units are when they have proper air flow.

I don't see (in my uneducated condition) how that would be related to the condenser fan though. Is the fan outside now running when the unit is on?

Its amazing how those units actually like to get air isn't it? I know as I went through the same thing about 6 years ago. Funny how I change those things every thirty days now :thumbsup: BTW, every HVAC guy i have ever talked to said there really is no diffrence in the filters, no matter what they say on the pacgage , you should change them every month, so just buy the cheapest ones they have. Kinda like HDMI cables that way

Dunno about cheap filters - we use the 3M Filtrete in the red package, and have those wire mesh pre-filter screens. 2 smokers, 2 cats...dramatic difference in house dust and formation of cobwebs over those $1.50 blue tiger-hair jobs.

I change them every 3 months. They cost ten bucks.

Give one a try, plenz . You might like the results.

I don't know if any of your guys can help me with this but i would appreciate some advice either way since I'm not savy with this type of equipment.

I bought a house during the colder weather and didnt have to use the air any. Well here lately I have had to turn the air on and it slowly but surely eventually cools the house down.....well I noticed over the past day or so that the fan on the outside unit isnt turning. I tried to flip the breakers on and off......to the one with the thermostat as well as the box unit that heats/cools that in my washer/dryer room thing, that is connected to the outside unit. I went out there to look around I seem some leaves at the bottom of it inside but nothing much and nothing out of normal ...well for myself. I dont know, I did several searches and see different reasons but Im still unsure

Anyone that can point me in a good direction I would greatly appreciate.

Don't forget to have replacement fuses in stock. Be sure you purchase the correct ones, too.

http://sacramento-home-inspector.com/?p=295

You should talk with a contractor about getting an AC service contract.

I have one - For $99 per year, he comes out twice a year and does the routine maintenance (filters, cleaning, etc.). Also, if there ever is a problem, he comes out almost immediately (and waives the normal "service call fee").

You should talk with a contractor about getting an AC service contract.

I have one - For $99 per year, he comes out twice a year and does the routine maintenance (filters, cleaning, etc.). Also, if there ever is a problem, he comes out almost immediately (and waives the normal "service call fee").

that sounds like a plan

yes the fan is running now....the breaker was mislabled and even though I turned it on before I guess I just second guessed myself and turned it off.....apparently I'm new to this Central Air thing.........always rented and never had it, just fans and electric heat/cool

:blink: