French Open Thoughts

Pretty much, Roddick will bend over against Federer... again, and Federer gets into the finals against Nadal, and Nadal beats him... again. I'm not a tennis fan by any means, but seeing Federer v Nadal has to be one of the most exciting things in sports these days. Last years Wimbledon was, unfortunately, overshadowed by Tiger's miraculous U.S. Open, but was probably the most exciting tennis match I've ever seen. Any one give two hoots and is this one of the greatest rivalry's currently in sports?

Pretty much, Roddick will bend over against Federer... again, and Federer gets into the finals against Nadal, and Nadal beats him... again. I'm not a tennis fan by any means, but seeing Federer v Nadal has to be one of the most exciting things in sports these days. Last years Wimbledon was, unfortunately, overshadowed by Tiger's miraculous U.S. Open, but was probably the most exciting tennis match I've ever seen. Any one give two hoots and is this one of the greatest rivalry's currently in sports?

I like to watch da women. Hubba hubba. :lol:

Well, it's the current greatest men's tennis rivalry. Even though they are both tremendous players, men's tennis hasn't had players who really grabbed the attention of the non-tennis public since Agassi. I don't know whether the players are really that bland and uninteresting or whether they are just being portrayed that way.

Maybe I'm just showing my age, but gimme the glory days of Connors, McEnroe, Borg, Nastase & those guys. Or Evert, Navratilova & Billie Jean. THAT was some friggin' TENNIS.

Well, it's the current greatest men's tennis rivalry. Even though they are both tremendous players, men's tennis hasn't had players who really grabbed the attention of the non-tennis public since Agassi. I don't know whether the players are really that bland and uninteresting or whether they are just being portrayed that way.

Maybe I'm just showing my age, but gimme the glory days of Connors, McEnroe, Borg, Nastase & those guys. Or Evert, Navratilova & Billie Jean. THAT was some friggin' TENNIS.

I think they're really that boring. I mean, don't me wrong, I respect the hell out of them for their abilities, focus, and determination. But they both have the personality of a saltine cracker.

While I too got introduced to tennis in the McEnroe era, I think this current one has the best elements of a McEnroe-Borg or Sampras-Agassi rivalry.

I do miss the days of a dominant American in tennis, Sampras being the last of them.

Back to the OP, I am not sure Roddick will last long enough to play Federer on this surface. Roddick has been a major disappointment and this deep into his career, I don't think he can turn it around especially with the likes of Nadal and Federer around.

I think they're really that boring. I mean, don't me wrong, I respect the hell out of them for their abilities, focus, and determination. But they both have the personality of a saltine cracker.

The world wide interest in tennis is not dependent upon the personalities of tennis players. Whereas a Becker catches short-term attention, it is the Borg, Edberg and Sampras's that are respected. McEnroe and Agassi are exceptions who bridged that gap successfully. I think the underdog status of tennis in the US is strongly linked to this public need for their athletes to also have a flamboyant personality.

While I thoroughly enjoy a Sharapova swimsuit pic, I am more likely to support a Justine Henin over her on the tennis court.

Everybody is now a baseline player, who charges the net these days?? Roddick has one of the biggest serves, but that does nothing anymore. The biggest server in the game put up doughnuts in two of the three sets. Also, the top ten usually move a lot more over a years time than in years past.

However, tennis is still one of my favorite sports to attend or watch. :lol:

Everybody is now a baseline player, who charges the net these days?? Roddick has one of the biggest serves, but that does nothing anymore. The biggest server in the game put up doughnuts in two of the three sets. Also, the top ten usually move a lot more over a years time than in years past.

However, tennis is still one of my favorite sports to attend or watch. :lol:

I actually like tennis better these days for these reasons.........I couldn't stand the men's game for years, esp on grass, because it was one ace after another - a three hit volley was a long one........Now, the back and forth volleys, showing the athleticism, the saves that seem impossible, etc. - that's what I love. Not the aces.

I think Nadal-Federer is the best rivalry in sports today.

I actually like tennis better these days for these reasons.........I couldn't stand the men's game for years, esp on grass, because it was one ace after another - a three hit volley was a long one........Now, the back and forth volleys, showing the athleticism, the saves that seem impossible, etc. - that's what I love. Not the aces.

You are absolutely right. I just wish we could watch them more than five hours.

Although McEnroe-Borg at Wimbledon & Flushing Meadows was always a special treat as an early teen.

Did you see the Verdasco-Nadal at the australian earlier this year??

I only seem to care about women's tennis, anymore. I love the got Russian/Eastern European babes.

Men's tennis is fairly boring at this point in time, IMO. Federer is/was a machine, when at his best. But like Sampras before him, pretty boring. I actually like both of these players, though. I think off the court, both seem like truly nice guys, based on their interviews, and such. I can't take the whole Nadal sleeveless thing, but at his best, he can inject some excitement to the game, and is machine-like on clay, most of the time.

I was always a big Rod Laver fan, in my youth.

If that.

While I too got introduced to tennis in the McEnroe era, I think this current one has the best elements of a McEnroe-Borg or Sampras-Agassi rivalry.

I do miss the days of a dominant American in tennis, Sampras being the last of them.

Back to the OP, I am not sure Roddick will last long enough to play Federer on this surface. Roddick has been a major disappointment and this deep into his career, I don't think he can turn it around especially with the likes of Nadal and Federer around.

Roddick appears to be a very one dimensional player....hard courts or bust. If and that's a big if, Fed can start going 50/50 with Nadal, then it would start to be interesting. But Nadal has largely owned Fed, at least lately.

I only seem to care about women's tennis, anymore. I love the got Russian/Eastern European babes.

Men's tennis is fairly boring at this point in time, IMO. Federer is/was a machine, when at his best. But like Sampras before him, pretty boring. I actually like both of these players, though. I think off the court, both seem like truly nice guys, based on their interviews, and such. I can't take the whole Nadal sleeveless thing, but at his best, he can inject some excitement to the game, and is machine-like on clay, most of the time.

I was always a big Rod Laver fan, in my youth.

Laver, Rosewall and Stan Smith were great to watch!

Agreed....and some of the best looking in sports today. :thumbsup::ph34r:

Beat me to it ya bastard.

That really is my only thought regarding tennis.

Me too........I hate to pass up an opportunity to see me some Ana Ivanovic.....

I'm more interested in the Nadal/Federer matchup at Wimbledon rather than at the French.