A great Bills come back game long forgotten

I agree. They (commentators) used to love to say he had "ice in his veins" because he made a few clutch kicks to win games, but he had a weak leg -- much like Lindell. I really hope the FO does an extensive search to bring in some real competition at the K position to oust Lindell.

Criticize Lindell but not for a weak leg.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the best dang games I have ever seen when I was young. Great times!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-1-yTNAgak...feature=related

Biscuit Bennet. As fans out here today regret the Bills not signing Freddy Kaiho or Cato June to replace Keith Ellison, Bennet starred for 9 years at weakside OLB. There has never been another linebacker who could match his size, strength and speed, and to think he played opposite Bruce his entire career in Buffalo. When I think about Ellison lining up next to Kelsay opposite of Schoebel and Kawika Mitchell, I am so thankful my days of season tickets and the annual road trip or two were from 1987 to 1996!

Biscuit Bennet. As fans out here today regret the Bills not signing Freddy Kaiho or Cato June to replace Keith Ellison, Bennet starred for 9 years at weakside OLB. There has never been another linebacker who could match his size, strength and speed, and to think he played opposite Bruce his entire career in Buffalo. When I think about Ellison lining up next to Kelsay opposite of Schoebel and Kawika Mitchell, I am so thankful my days of season tickets and the annual road trip or two were from 1987 to 1996!

I thought Bennett played some of his best ball when he moved inside for a couple of years.

Raiders game is my favorite. Still watch it once in a while.

I love that game too. I have it on tape. Skip Carey did the play by play on sunday night football. I love his call on the Tasker block and Odoms strip for a TD.

I love that game too. I have it on tape. Skip Carey did the play by play on sunday night football. I love his call on the Tasker block and Odoms strip for a TD.

"They did it again. They did it again"!!!!

Weakside OLB was manned by Darryl Talley...not Biscuit. Biscuit was on the strong side. The strongside LB is the one who lines up near the TE...which is where it gets the name strongside...from the strong side of the offensive formation. Truth be told, though, a typical defense flips their LBs based on where the TE lines up. Sometimes we'll see Mitchell, our current WLB, lined up on the defensive right and sometimes on the left...pretty much always away from the offense's TE...leaving the SLB (Crow, Ellison, whoever) lined up near the TE. Truthfully, I don't know that our LBs flipped like that in the Super Bowl years but it's been a while...can't be sure.

Weakside OLB was manned by Darryl Talley...not Biscuit. Biscuit was on the strong side. The strongside LB is the one who lines up near the TE...which is where it gets the name strongside...from the strong side of the offensive formation. Truth be told, though, a typical defense flips their LBs based on where the TE lines up. Sometimes we'll see Mitchell, our current WLB, lined up on the defensive right and sometimes on the left...pretty much always away from the offense's TE...leaving the SLB (Crow, Ellison, whoever) lined up near the TE. Truthfully, I don't know that our LBs flipped like that in the Super Bowl years but it's been a while...can't be sure.

There was no Weak or Strong in that defensive scheme. Talley played ROLB, behind Smith and Bennett played LOLB behind Hansen, they didn't flip based on the TE.

Norwood was a pro bowl kicker at that time. However the K/P positions have greatly improved in technique. talent, and training over the past 20 years. Hence the current kickers breaking a ton of records.

Very true. Virtually all of the most accurate kickers in NFL history are still active. The percentage just keeps creeping upwards. Notice how straight on Norwood lined up...today's kickers approach the ball at a much steeper angle.

Bennett was a star somewhat obscured by the greatness of his teammates. The same for Leonard Smith. We have not had a safety that inspired fear in the opponents since Smith's heyday. The only physical safety we've had who approaches Smith was Lawyer Milloy and the version of Milloy we got from New England was not the player Smith was in his prime.

For the dog days of the offseason, there's nothing like watching these old videos. Thanks for posting this NavyBillsFan and also to Fezmid who recently posted the "No Punt" highlights earlier.

A little foreshadowing... Watch that game, as well as the dolphins and raiders playoff games from that year. Now, count how many PATs and field goals norwood missed or barely made through. I hate to piss on the glory years parade, but you'd have to be totally blind to see that he was a major problem that year before the super bowl miss. Compare that to a guy like lindell, who has missed like 1 PAT in his entire time with the bills.

In the 51-3 Raider playoff game, Norwood missed a 45 yarder wide right.

That defense was sick. Bruce, Talley, Biscuit, Conlan, Kelso, Odomes? Was there a weak link?

Looking back at it (having been 6 in 1990), I still can't believe Norwood stayed on that team. It seems like every clip that gets posted here from 90-91 has him missing some sort of attempt, from PATs to short FGs... that would not have been tolerated in today's NFL.

On the other hand, it seems like Nate Odomes is making some sort of great play in every one of these clips.

That defense was sick. Bruce, Talley, Biscuit, Conlan, Kelso, Odomes? Was there a weak link?

Looking back at it (having been 6 in 1990), I still can't believe Norwood stayed on that team. It seems like every clip that gets posted here from 90-91 has him missing some sort of attempt, from PATs to short FGs... that would not have been tolerated in today's NFL.

On the other hand, it seems like Nate Odomes is making some sort of great play in every one of these clips.

It's kind of sad when you think about how the introduction of the current free agency system messed up not only the Bills best chance at a Super Bowl, but major players on that team had below average careers elsewhere.

Where did Odomes and Ballard go? Seattle? What happened to them there? Will Wolford was all right in Indy. Shane Conlan? I can only think of those 4 off the top of my head, but were there more?

People forget (or maybe they never knew), Norwood was the most accurate kicker in Bills history, before he was released. He had a rough 1991 (missing the SB 25 kick played mind games with him) but at one point (and I don't know if Christy broke it), Norwood had kicked more game tying, and game winning kicks than any kicker in Bills history. He made multiple pro-Bowls (for whatever that is worth) and was as money as they come, inside 45 yeards, for about 4 or 5 years. Marv Levy (the head coach at the time, for you young 'uns) placed a large premium on special teams players. If Norwood was good enough for him, I think we can assume, he was pretty good.

It's kind of sad when you think about how the introduction of the current free agency system messed up not only the Bills best chance at a Super Bowl, but major players on that team had below average careers elsewhere.

Where did Odomes and Ballard go? Seattle? What happened to them there? Will Wolford was all right in Indy. Shane Conlan? I can only think of those 4 off the top of my head, but were there more?

Odomes barely played a game in Seattle, he signed a huge deal (for that time) and suffered, what turned out to be, two career ending knee injuries, IIRC in pre-season. Ballard also went to Seattle, and disappeared. Shane Conlan put in some solid (1 pro-Bowl I belive) years with some bad Rams teams, before injuries ended his career. Wolford was the best of the bunch. He continued to play at pro-Bowl level with the Colts, and later, the Steelers. He was a stud. Talley, in his later years, ended his career quietly, with the Falcons. Bennett went to the Falcons also, where he was a solid contributer to their Super Bowl appearance... Metzelaaers and Frank Reich went to Carolina in 1995, and were starters on the inaugural Carolina Panthers squad.

but he had a weak leg -- much like Lindell. I really hope the FO does an extensive search to bring in some real competition at the K position to oust Lindell.

Lindell does not have a weak leg...

Wow, Norwood missed TWO PAT's?

I was too young then, only 6, but seriously, what was that guy's deal, was he EVER reliable?

Norwood was a sure thing at the 40 or inside that, that is why that 48 yarder in the SB was such a huge gamble.

Levy wanted another kicker in to do kickoffs because Norwood's leg was so weak, yet usually so accurate inside the 40