Last year, 2008 was the playoffs or bust season

San-O

I don't recall the exact quote, however the indications from all and specifically from Jauron were that

a playoff appearance in 2008 was mandatory. We got another 7 - 9 season obviously, so what is this year's

mantra? Really?

Playoffs or else, unless we don't make it, because last year was the make or break season, which it really

wasn't because, well, we want continuity?!?

:unsure:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't recall the exact quote, however the indications from all and specifically from Jauron were that

a playoff appearance in 2008 was mandatory. We got another 7 - 9 season obviously, so what is this year's

mantra? Really?

Playoffs or else, unless we don't make it, because last year was the make or break season, which it really

wasn't because, well, we want continuity?!?

:unsure:

I'm sure all of the Jauron apologists will have a laundry list of excuses, they seem to be floating around here in heaps lately.

The latest one is that he's never coached a talented team.

Doesn't the coach have some say in scouting/front office happenings? According to the apologists apparently Dick is kept in a closet somewhere and just has to deal with what he's given.

Continuity is a great thing when you have a proven winner, to want to continue with 7-9 seasons is absurd.

How much of what goes on behind the scenes at TBD are you in the loop on?

Nothing? Me too. In fact, that's true of all of us. So, let's just deal with the fact that a guy who is a lot more in the loop than we are, Mr. Wilson, thinks that he deserves another chance.

And as for the crazy, wacky idea that not having good enough players might somehow possibly affect a coach's performance ... what was Belichick's record as a head coach in Cleveland with not very good players? And what is it in New England with very good players, including Tom Brady? Gee, what a crazy idea.

Nothing? Me too. In fact, that's true of all of us. So, let's just deal with the fact that a guy who is a lot more in the loop than we are, Mr. Wilson, thinks that he deserves another chance.

And as for the crazy, wacky idea that not having good enough players might somehow possibly affect a coach's performance ... what was Belichick's record as a head coach in Cleveland with not very good players? And what is it in New England with very good players, including Tom Brady? Gee, what a crazy idea.

This is the classic argument whenever anyone questions the direction of the team and retention of DJ. Merely insinuate that because a poster doesn't have confirmed insider information that their opinion is worthless. It's the easiest means of argument suppression, and utilized anytime a fan who demands more than mediocrity from a DJ team makes a post .

The casual uniformed fans continue to ignore what winning teams are doing. Most franchises, if not successful, are trying to be so. Buffalo rides so close to the rail of mediocrity year after year without ever being horrible or good. No team in the NFL can state they're close to this but the Bills.

In the SB era, no NFL HC has consistently been as mediocre, nor given as many chances to succeed than Dick Jauron. Check the winning percentage over his 8 year career and compare it to other coaches with 130+ games coached.

Mr. Wilson decided to give Mr. Jauron a contract extension, and didn't want to eat any more Mr. Franklins

than he already has.

Oh, Mr. Wilson also thought it was a good idea NOT to hire/pay a G.M., promote the same people already

running the show/F.O., and sell a game to Canada.

Regarding the D.J. coaching tenure, this is technically his third (3rd) stop as head coach and will certainly

be his last.

This is the classic argument whenever anyone questions the direction of the team and retention of DJ. Merely insinuate that because a poster doesn't have confirmed insider information that their opinion is worthless. It's the easiest means of argument suppression, and utilized anytime a fan who demands more than mediocrity from a DJ team makes a post .

The casual uniformed fans continue to ignore what winning teams are doing. Most franchises, if not successful, are trying to be so. Buffalo rides so close to the rail of mediocrity year after year without ever being horrible or good. No team in the NFL can state they're close to this but the Bills.

In the SB era, no NFL HC has consistently been as mediocre, nor given as many chances to succeed than Dick Jauron. Check the winning percentage over his 8 year career and compare it to other coaches with 130+ games coached.

DJ's combined record at Chicago: 7-9

DJ's combined record at Buffalo: 7-9

Can't get more consistent than that. This year it'll be different though......ahem.

Maybe when the Hoodie was in Cleveland, he hadn't begun cheating yet. :unsure:

By the way, I do not believe it is anything like a certainty that DJ will be fired if we don't make the playoffs. I could see the team going 10-6 and missing the playoffs on tiebreakers and the thinking will be well we got close and are heading in the right direction. Actually I could see us going 9-7 and people saying that, and Wilson giving him yet another year. I think DJ and the assistants realize this themselves--they finish above .500 and they have a great chance of coming back.

Of course finishing above .500 with their schedule and being in the AFC east is itself a big challenge.

Oh....if only that was true.....

This will be his last stop, I'm pretty certain. He would have been finished after Detroit let him go,

but Marv picked him off the scrap heap.

This will be his last stop, I'm pretty certain. He would have been finished after Detroit let him go,

but Marv picked him off the scrap heap.

Don't forget we all were certain he would get canned after last year's train wreck.....

By the way, I do not believe it is anything like a certainty that DJ will be fired if we don't make the playoffs. I could see the team going 10-6 and missing the playoffs on tiebreakers and the thinking will be well we got close and are heading in the right direction. Actually I could see us going 9-7 and people saying that, and Wilson giving him yet another year. I think DJ and the assistants realize this themselves--they finish above .500 and they have a great chance of coming back.

Of course finishing above .500 with their schedule and being in the AFC east is itself a big challenge.

Ralph won't eat two years of a three year contract I woundn't think. Besides, they can blame

the 2009 season on the new O-line and T.E. missing games with injury.

Don't forget we all were certain he would get canned after last year's train wreck.....

Right. I'm not predicting WHEN he will get canned, just that it will happen, and I just can't see

any G.M. sticking their neck out for a guy they know will not win.

Right. I'm not predicting WHEN he will get canned, just that it will happen, and I just can't see

any G.M. sticking their neck out for a guy they know will not win.

Betcha DJ makes it back to HC after 2-3 years of DC work.

Ralph won't eat two years of a three year contract I woundn't think. Besides, they can blame

the 2009 season on the new O-line and T.E. missing games with injury.

If the Bills finish 8-8 or better, Ralph may keep Dick. If they finish 7-9 or worse, it will be a very tough sell job to keep him.

I'm not a big DJ fan right now, but I must agree with you on this. Bottom line is we simply do not know what goes on behind the scenes. We certainly do see what happens on game days and to some (sometimes myself included), this seems like enough to base a decision on, but Ralph certainly has a vantage point the rest of us don't have. Nevertheless, I maintain that 2009 is DJ's last chance.