Last year, 2008 was the playoffs or bust season

San-O

Wow. Now I've seen everything. Dick Jauron is morally bankrupt. The one thing that nearly everyone can agree upon, that he is a very fine human being, is now being revised into moral bankruptcy. Please. And by the way if he had resigned, people here would be calling him a quitter. Last year when we were 5-1 his ESPN fan approval rating was 96%.

I guess Doug Flutie, Dominick Hasek, and Michael Peca know how Jauron feels.

FYI, in 12 seasons as Steelers coach before he finally got to the Super Bowl, Chuck Noll's record was 95-95. His postseason record was 2-4.

In his five seasons coaching Chicago, Jauron's players accounted for a total of 8 Pro Bowls. Four by Brian Urlacher, one each by Ted Washington, Glyn Milburn, Jerry Azumah, and Olin Kreutz. His quarterbacks were Shane Matthews, Jim Miller, rookie Cade McNown, Kordell Stewart, an ancient Chris Chandler, and a rookie named Rex Grossman.

Look, I'm not saying he's the greatest coach in the world. But the fact remains that he had zero talent in Chicago and Detroit and very little talent in Buffalo. And as far as his excellence as a human being, well that's been documented over and over. The testimonials by former colleagues and players is overwhelming in that regard.

Nice post. You hit the nail on the head.

I don't know how he will do this year, though I suspect that with this schedule and 0% continuity on the o-line, the Bills won't do particularly well.

But the folks who "know" that Jauron is a terrible coach and will fail miserably are as misguided as those who are sure that now that he has a playoff level roster (not my opinion, but I've seen it on the boards a lot) he will absolutely succeed. There are a million variables in coaching performance, and player talent levels is the largest one, and Jauron hasn't had talented lineups here, he just hasn't.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many Pro Bowlers did Belichick have in 2001 when he won a SB with a 2nd year 6th round QB? Good coaching can make an average team good. In comparison, a bad HC will have a negative team-wide effect. DJ's lack of innovative and effective gameplans helped Buffalo lose 8 of their last 10. Not all of those losses were on the players.

Also, FYI, Chuck Noll's record before the 74 season when PIT won the SB was 33-37. He had two 10 win seasons as well.

Check your stats before posting false information.

Noll Coaching record

OK, but in that poster's defense, Noll's last eight years looked like this:

9-7

7-9

6-10

8-7

5-11

9-7

9-7

7-9

for a total of 60-67. Which is just about about a 7-9 average. For 8 years in a row. Now, who does that remind you of?

You don't suppose it had anything to do with the talent level of his players, did it?

This is the classic argument whenever anyone questions the direction of the team and retention of DJ. Merely insinuate that because a poster doesn't have confirmed insider information that their opinion is worthless. It's the easiest means of argument suppression, and utilized anytime a fan who demands more than mediocrity from a DJ team makes a post .

The casual uniformed fans continue to ignore what winning teams are doing. Most franchises, if not successful, are trying to be so. Buffalo rides so close to the rail of mediocrity year after year without ever being horrible or good. No team in the NFL can state they're close to this but the Bills.

In the SB era, no NFL HC has consistently been as mediocre, nor given as many chances to succeed than Dick Jauron. Check the winning percentage over his 8 year career and compare it to other coaches with 130+ games coached.

I rely on 'outside' information. The record, and his incredibly awful gameday coaching that I have seen only on my television screen, is adequately informative about the ability of our coach. Some insider "respects" DJ? Maybe he should not BE an insider, or maybe he has another agenda. The evidence speaks for itself.

Anyway, who the eff exactly is an "insider"? An assistant coach of Tampa Bay? What are "insider" qualifications, exactly?

I don't recall the exact quote, however the indications from all and specifically from Jauron were that

a playoff appearance in 2008 was mandatory. We got another 7 - 9 season obviously, so what is this year's

mantra? Really?

Playoffs or else, unless we don't make it, because last year was the make or break season, which it really

wasn't because, well, we want continuity?!?

:pirate:

this years mantra is "bend over."

It is truly mindboggling isn't it? One winning year as a head coach? And if i'm not mistaken, that year that the bears went 13-3, didn't they lose in the first round of the playoffs?

I'm sick of hearing how this guy is a player's coach, the players love playing for him. Obviously that hasn't translated to wins for this guy. If DJ is let go after this season, I swear I'm all for bringing in a Jon Gruden, Bill Cowher, light a fire under the player's asses type of coach.

absolutely! seems like a lot of the players have gotten far too comfy in their roster spots playing for Coach Nice Guy..

DJ is impassive at game time, as is Bellicheat.. the only difference is that Bellicheat is impassive while he is scheming, plotting and being devious.. while behind DJ's blank stare is nothing. no wheels spinning, no machines crunching data trying to make decisions, nothing. only a little boy screaming "i wanna go home, mama".