Ryan Leaf...once a loser

To call Leaf a loser is sort of harsh. He has a drug problem, and is a troubled soul at this point of his life. Not all people who get addicted to drugs are low-lifes. Addiction causes people to take drastic measures to feed it. I would say he needs help and is in a lose-lose situation right now. Brett Favre was addicted to pain pills, is he a loser?

I think Leaf is a loser in every sense of the word. I understand addiction. But, I don't throw tags on people (fellow wallers, athletes, celebs, etc) casually. Leaf had a golden opportunity to live a dream existence, and lost it all. So, in the truest sense of the word, he is a loser. He lost back then, and continues to lose.

Favre was addicted, but dealt with it (so they say), and was able to have a successful career. So, by my defintion, he isn't a loser. He never resorted to breaking in to homes to steal perscriptions, or trying to deceive doctors or pharmacists to get more pain pills.

Heath Shuler had a similar trek through the NFL as Leaf. He was a bust, but not a loser. He never panned out in the NFL, but used the money he made to secure his future, and forge a new career for himself in politics. I would define Shuler as a winner.

Leaf is still a loser...

In Bizzaro world, but then Manning would be the opposite of himself too and Polian would be a horrible GM. A lot would have to happen for Leaf to become a Pro-Bowler. JMO

:ph34r:

:D Touche.

And we win 4 straight SB'S! :ph34r:

I think Leaf is a loser in every sense of the word. I understand addiction. But, I don't throw tags on people (fellow wallers, athletes, celebs, etc) casually. Leaf had a golden opportunity to live a dream existence, and lost it all. So, in the truest sense of the word, he is a loser. He lost back then, and continues to lose.

Favre was addicted, but dealt with it (so they say), and was able to have a successful career. So, by my defintion, he isn't a loser. He never resorted to breaking in to homes to steal perscriptions, or trying to deceive doctors or pharmacists to get more pain pills.

Heath Shuler had a similar trek through the NFL as Leaf. He was a bust, but not a loser. He never panned out in the NFL, but used the money he made to secure his future, and forge a new career for himself in politics. I would define Shuler as a winner.

Leaf is still a loser...

The Bills, could be easily defined as a team/organization as losers for a long long time now.. Through association, as fans of this team, doesn't bode well for us. I guess it's how you look at it. I see him as a person in need of help and guidance, and not a loser. I understand your point though and can appreciate the stance as well.

P.S. ufck Brett Favre.. I say by all means that he did abuse pills and in doing so deceived doctors into prescribing them to him. He is a winner, no arguing that, but he sure can't seem to let it go and hang up the cleats.

If you knew about this guy in his days at WASU, this really is no surprise. He had a ton of baggage while in college but was a physical specimen and obviously played well. San Diego chose to overlook his "off-field" antics and personality flaws, which in retrospect was a huge mistake. However, it is still truly a sad situation to see a guy go from having everything to having nothing in a few short years.

• 3 weeks later...
If you knew about this guy in his days at WASU, this really is no surprise. He had a ton of baggage while in college but was a physical specimen and obviously played well. San Diego chose to overlook his "off-field" antics and personality flaws, which in retrospect was a huge mistake. However, it is still truly a sad situation to see a guy go from having everything to having nothing in a few short years.

I have zero sympathy for guys like this. Even if his NFL career was a complete bust, the guy not only got a free college education, not only had a multitude of contacts that he could use to build a career that few others have, but he also basically won the lotto with whatever his rookie contract paid him. He has no excuses...none.