Sully's Schobel article. Hey, he said something kinda positive ab

http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/columns...ory/676010.html

Good article.

I don't think Schobel's being out had as much to do with the Bills' post 4 - 1 nose-dive as just a schedule full of actual opponents. But I totally agree that Schobel doesn't get nearly as much credit here as he deserves. The guy has been our only rushing threat for a long, long time.

It oughta be interesting to see what he can do with teams nervous about Maybin on the other side.

Go, Schobel!

http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/columns...ory/676010.html

Good article.

I don't think Schobel's being out had as much to do with the Bills' post 4 - 1 nose-dive as just a schedule full of actual opponents. But I totally agree that Schobel doesn't get nearly as much credit here as he deserves. The guy has been our only rushing threat for a long, long time.

It oughta be interesting to see what he can do with teams nervous about Maybin on the other side.

Go, Schobel!

Sully was being very down-to-earth and non-opinionated for a change..

i for one am hoping Schobel has a monster season!

I like the fact they drafted Maybin, but that was literally the only move to address the weakest area of our defense in the front 7. He's 20 years old, extremely raw and will probably be 2-3 years before he becomes the impact player we need at the position. More should've been done to add to the depth of this group. It seems foolish to rely on Maybin and Chris Ellis to mature, and 3 30+ year old dends only 1 of whom is actually any good.

A healthy Schobel may, in fact, have made the difference in some of the close games last year.

I agree. Because of his relentless nature, who can tell how many "hustle sacks" he may have acquired in those close match-ups?

Additionally, re: impact - I think if he can lower the overall snaps of the DE rotation as a whole with his presence, we'll have a fresher Schobel, Kelsay, Denney, SP. Johnson and Maybin - which would in fact allow for more overall pass rush than last year. How much more is the question.

He couldn't of hurt compared to what we fielded.

i'd settle for just seeing the opposition QBs getting hustled even if we weren't getting many actual sacks..

it was very frustrating to see the other team's QB open up the picnic basket and have a dainty little tea party waiting for receivers to open up

i'd settle for just seeing the opposition QBs getting hustled even if we weren't getting many actual sacks..

it was very frustrating to see the other team's QB open up the picnic basket and have a dainty little tea party waiting for receivers to open up

I'm begining to think people are actually under valuing sacks. Just because our pass rush is led by The Upstate Sad Sack bunch, it's still one of if not the most important aspect to defensive football. Put a team in deep down and distances, force hurried throws leading to turnovers, or force fumbles. It's been frustrating to watch this group for several years even when they were considered "good" by some people. The constant completions on 3rd down the never ending long drives given up by this defense were horrible to watch. We had what I'd consider boring defense. We couldnt rush the quarterback if kawika mitchell was given a free lane, and a statue was standing back there. He'd probably find a way to whiff. I dred the thought of schobel not being up to form, and having to go through another year of kelsay/denney. The reluctance to try to find talent for the front 7 is madding. Playoff, or superbowl caliber teams consistently add to their front 7's. The Bills draft cornerbacks. It just doesn't make sense :thumbdown:

Good read. Schobel has always came across as a pretty different type of dude. It almost seems like he is annoyed by the hustle and bustle of being a professional athlete, and really tries to avoid it at all costs. It's rare that a writer like Sully can get this many sentences out of him in a single article. We really need him on the field, though. If he doesn't come back as at least almost as productive a player as he was for a stretch of a few years there, that is just going to put that much mroe pressure on Maybin in his first year.

I'm begining to think people are actually under valuing sacks. Just because our pass rush is led by The Upstate Sad Sack bunch, it's still one of if not the most important aspect to defensive football. Put a team in deep down and distances, force hurried throws leading to turnovers, or force fumbles. It's been frustrating to watch this group for several years even when they were considered "good" by some people. The constant completions on 3rd down the never ending long drives given up by this defense were horrible to watch. We had what I'd consider boring defense. We couldnt rush the quarterback if kawika mitchell was given a free lane, and a statue was standing back there. He'd probably find a way to whiff. I dred the thought of schobel not being up to form, and having to go through another year of kelsay/denney. The reluctance to try to find talent for the front 7 is madding. Playoff, or superbowl caliber teams consistently add to their front 7's. The Bills draft cornerbacks. It just doesn't make sense :thumbdown:

I scratched that part because I think it's a problem which has become less and less severe each year since '05.

But, your post can't help but bring to mind Reggie Corner running right past Brady Quinn last year. :sick:

I scratched that part because I think it's a problem which has become less and less severe each year since '05.

But, your post can't help but bring to mind Reggie Corner running right past Brady Quinn last year. :thumbdown:

honestly I dont think some of these guys could get to a qb if they had a fathead of one posted up in their living rooms.

honestly I dont think some of these guys could get to a qb if they had a fathead of one posted up in their living rooms.

I think one of the biggest knocks against Kelsay should be his tendency for whiffisies. The guy actually gets to the QB. Sadly, that's not the goal.

Aarons a good guy. Yeah, he is more quiet than most athletes. But leave it to Sully to comment on how normal someone is only as a form of sideways criticism of T.O. Tomorrow he will go back to pricking Schobel to get more sacks.

I like the fact they drafted Maybin, but that was literally the only move to address the weakest area of our defense in the front 7. He's 20 years old, extremely raw and will probably be 2-3 years before he becomes the impact player we need at the position. More should've been done to add to the depth of this group. It seems foolish to rely on Maybin and Chris Ellis to mature, and 3 30+ year old dends only 1 of whom is actually any good.

Good point......what would you suggest that the bills should have done?

I am not knocking you....just wanted to know what your ideas were on that.

Aside from bringing in a free agent for the OLB spot Ellison occupies I am trying to figure out where the significant upgrade would have been.

Good point......what would you suggest that the bills should have done?

I am not knocking you....just wanted to know what your ideas were on that.

Aside from bringing in a free agent for the OLB spot Ellison occupies I am trying to figure out where the significant upgrade would have been.

Maybe draft a second DE - Everett Brown - rather than opting for a Safety...? Pressure up front always makes an average player in the secondary, a much better performer. I was happy with the Maybin pick, but coming away with two young edge/speed rushers would have been ideal.

Did you notice how Sullivan was trying to agitate Schobel with the key to the city thing?

Trying to agitate ...? Man, I thought that was a GREAT lead-in. Beats the crap out of the standard, How did practice go today, How does your foot feel, or What do you think about TO?

Trying to agitate ...? Man, I thought that was a GREAT lead-in. Beats the crap out of the standard, How did practice go today, How does your foot feel, or What do you think about TO?

Clearly, Schobel cares a great deal about face time and mutual back-scratching publicity stunts. :thumbdown: