Enough with these gay jokes...not really funny

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enough with the gay jokes...Every other thread has them. It's a little worrisome how much gay innuendo there is on this board. Get over it already. And no, I'm not gay, but it degrades and has no place here.

just my opin.

I thought this was a bufalo bills message board. Oh ya it is-so unless about football I dont want to hear about it OK?

GO Bills!!

Enough with the gay jokes...Every other thread has them. It's a little worrisome how much gay innuendo there is on this board. Get over it already. And no, I'm not gay, but it degrades and has no place here.

just my opin.

SuperBills12, while I agree with you, I'm not sure if this was the right forum to bring the issue up.

To those who have responded so far, I understand that you think the initial poster is being overly sensitive and making a big deal about nothing, as most of your jokes are not supposed to be taken seriously. However, if you think about it this way, maybe you'll understand where he's coming from. Our culture, for whatever reason (I won't go into it), has created a point to point connection between homosexuality and something being dumb, stupid, or otherwise deficient. Anyone who uses the word gay in this way is propagating this stereotype whether they mean to or not. I don't expect most of you to agree with or seriously consider this assessment nor do I want to dictate how you should and should not act (it's your life). However, try substituting a word that defines your own identity (whether it's your race, class, religion, etc) in place of the word gay and ask yourself if you or someone else in your social group (parents, friends, etc) might be offended if people devalued your identity with such regularity. Unless I've got SuperBills12 wrong, he doesn't mean that you are all homophobic but that you're feeding into this normal vs. homosexual binary by using gay to mean that something is bad, stupid, dumb, etc.

SuperBills12, while I agree with you, I'm not sure if this was the right forum to bring the issue up.

To those who have responded so far, I understand that you think the initial poster is being overly sensitive and making a big deal about nothing, as most of your jokes are not supposed to be taken seriously. However, if you think about it this way, maybe you'll understand where he's coming from. Our culture, for whatever reason (I won't go into it), has created a point to point connection between homosexuality and something being dumb, stupid, or otherwise deficient. Anyone who uses the word gay in this way is propagating this stereotype whether they mean to or not. I don't expect most of you to agree with or seriously consider this assessment nor do I want to dictate how you should and should not act (it's your life). However, try substituting a word that defines your own identity (whether it's your race, class, religion, etc) in place of the word gay and ask yourself if you or someone else in your social group (parents, friends, etc) might be offended if people devalued your identity with such regularity. Unless I've got SuperBills12 wrong, he doesn't mean that you are all homophobic but that you're feeding into this normal vs. homosexual binary by using gay to mean that something is bad, stupid, dumb, etc.

I agree with this post I work in a medical retail setting with three 20 something year olds and they always call things gay. I told them yall better be careful with that as the wrong person might hear it someday.

About 6 months ago a regional vp overheard one of them say this and had them written up. It was just a written warning as the vp is a younger guy and understood but none the less deemed it not appropriate.

Well two months ago a paitient who is homosexual overheard this same person using this term and he wrote a letter to corporate as he was made to feel insulted and uncomfortable. Final warning termination with no chance for unemployment.

I guess I'm of two thought patterns here. Homosexuals use the term gay pride. If indeed it was homosexuals who coined the term gay in this reference they should take no offense to it. Or if someone who was straight coined the term gay for homosexuals, a word which at its root means happy. Makes you wonder if this person was unhappy and searching eh?

Our culture, for whatever reason (I won't go into it), has created a point to point connection between homosexuality and something being dumb, stupid, or otherwise deficient. Anyone who uses the word gay in this way is propagating this stereotype whether they mean to or not. I don't expect most of you to agree with or seriously consider this assessment nor do I want to dictate how you should and should not act (it's your life). However, try substituting a word that defines your own identity (whether it's your race, class, religion, etc) in place of the word gay and ask yourself if you or someone else in your social group (parents, friends, etc) might be offended if people devalued your identity with such regularity. Unless I've got SuperBills12 wrong, he doesn't mean that you are all homophobic but that you're feeding into this normal vs. homosexual binary by using gay to mean that something is bad, stupid, dumb, etc.

:thumbdown:

Though my guess is that use of the word gay devolved from the word queer which used to be much more common and has an actual meaning that more closely approximates the current, inappropriate, use of the term "gay" to mean dumb or stupid.

Either way, you mark yourself as relatively unenlightened when you use that word that way.

Well said...that was my intent. I like coming to this board often and talking Bills...What's disturbing is the jokes are sometimes aimed at our own players like Trent Edwards....Last time I check he's our starting QB!

I know most of you guys are joking, so I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers...It just bugged me enough to post a topic about it.

I guess I'm of two thought patterns here. Homosexuals use the term gay pride. If indeed it was homosexuals who coined the term gay in this reference they should take no offense to it.

Well, like most things, it really depends on how you're saying it.

If I mention that the best man at my wedding was a gay man that's not a problem becuase it's factual, not threatening, or demeaning. If I were to say something like "JP Losman is the gayest QB we've ever had on our team" there really isn't an appropriate way to interpret that sentence (unless JP were to come out tomorrow in which case it would possibly be factual). However, I think the crux of the debate is when people use the word gay to mean stupid which is definetly not what was intended by whomever coined the term originally.

Lighten up everyone and stop the PC crap. No one gets discriminated against here ... everyone gets run just the same ... but it's not personal.

I really don't feel like it's PC. You really don't see anyone commenting on how our RB needs be be less niggardly (yes it's a word and it doesn't mean what you think, nor is it even correctly used here much like gay=stupid) when he gets arrested. It's just not appropriate so people don't do it (at least in a public forum).

If you accept that about 10% of the populace is homosexual then you have to figure that there about 5 gay players on the team at any one time.

I know most of you guys are joking, so I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers...It just bugged me enough to post a topic about it.

Well, like most things, it really depends on how you're saying it.

If I mention that the best man at my wedding was a gay man that's not a problem becuase it's factual, not threatening, or demeaning. If I were to say something like "JP Losman is the gayest QB we've ever had on our team" there really isn't an appropriate way to interpret that sentence (unless JP were to come out tomorrow in which case it would possibly be factual). However, I think the crux of the debate is when people use the word gay to mean stupid which is definetly not what was intended by whomever coined the term originally.

Good points ... The Senator is right ... generally when that word gets thrown out it's in the context of saying somthing is stupid, but is not to demean homosexuals.

just my opin.

Just because we talk about how we covet Big Wide Receivers and how we don't like certain Tight Ends doesn't make it gay, mmmkay!

Has anyone come out of the closet yet ? Who is still in the closet and what are you looking for ? I found a pair of old slippers that had been shoved way to the back of the closet .Found the cat in the back sleeping on some clothes that had fallen on the floor . How often do you check out your closet ? :thumbdown:

Please don't tell any Scottish-German-Russian-Czech-American jokes. Scottish-German-Russian-Hungarian-American jokes are OK, but I'll get offended by Scottish-German-Russian-Czech-American jokes. Thank you in advance for cooperating!

Most anyone will always find something to be offended by. Unfortunately, there is something called freedom of speech. If you're offended, don't read, listen or watch. If you make a habit of always telling racist/offensive jokes and/or put some creedence in them, I feel sorry for your lack of intelligence. One now and then can lighten the mood, unless someone in the crowd is an uptight crusader looking to protect the world from irrevocable harm.

Can we tell jokes about liberals?

Please don't tell any Scottish-German-Russian-Czech-American jokes. Scottish-German-Russian-Hungarian-American jokes are OK, but I'll get offended by Scottish-German-Russian-Czech-American jokes. Thank you in advance for cooperating!

Most anyone will always find something to be offended by. Unfortunately, there is something called freedom of speech. If you're offended, don't read, listen or watch. If you make a habit of always telling racist/offensive jokes and/or put some creedence in them, I feel sorry for your lack of intelligence. One now and then can lighten the mood, unless someone in the crowd is an uptight crusader looking to protect the world from irrevocable harm.

Can we tell jokes about liberals?

Most definitely not ... liberals thrive on being marginalized ... you'll NEVER hear the end of that one ... stick to safe ones like ethnicity

Most definitely not ... liberals thrive on being marginalized ... you'll NEVER hear the end of that one ... stick to safe ones like ethnicity

BTW ... I'm polish, so if you tell any polish jokes, please type them s-l-o-w-l-y so that I can understand them.