Don't call it a comeback, it's a miracle

Thanks SKOOBY, all those emotions just came rushing back, boy I hope we get to the playoffs this year, Ralph was right when he said we need more talent, we haven't been close to the talent on those teams since '93!

I didnt get to see that game live. I was at basic training and we werent allowed to watch tv. One of the guys had a radio in the other dorms and would update us with the score. I believe I was the only Bills fan. Anyway, I started to hear that the Bills were coming back and I didnt believe it. I thought it was a joke. It wasnt until later that week when I called home and found out.

Thanks for the link. I watched all of the classic bills games on youtube this morning. Sure brings back some good memories.

It was blacked out in Rochester, and my grandmother and I were sitting at the kitchen table listening intently. What a great memory, and what a great team :oops:

Tears to my eyes. I was telling my college roommate when it was 35-17 that this game feels funny, he said, "yea right, your seasons over." Ha! We won't mention what happened a few weeks later though.

What a great description......at 35-17 it was palpable that something was happening. I know that feeling well from horseracing. Sometimes you have a horse that seems ordinary or not very impressive....then all of a sudden he feels just perfect and the lightbulb goes on, and he does something "funny" in the morning workout. Yousee it, and feel it, and right then you start planning for when he croses the finish line first. You 'know' you are sitting on something special.

That game had that feel, right at that point.

I can't imagine a Bills fan at least 8 or 9 years old that January day in '93, not having watched highlights of that game at least 100 times by now. Is there some point in posting a link to it now, in May of '09, after 9 consecutive years of playoff-less football and a season slowly approaching that offers no certain guarantees that the streak won't reach 10?? :oops:

We'll have plenty of time to wax nostalgic when Ralph & Bruce give their acceptance speeches in Canton in early August. Sorry to be the grinch here, but I lived through those amazing games already. I'm ready to watch some new amazing games any time the Bills are ready to play them.

Tears to my eyes. I was telling my college roommate when it was 35-17 that this game feels funny, he said, "yea right, your seasons over." Ha! We won't mention what happened a few weeks later though.

Why not mention that SB loss to Dallas by 35 points? We're getting all weepy eyed and emotional over the greatest comeback in NFL history, why not talk about one of the greatest SB blowout losses in NFL history while we're at it? Or I know, how about a whole thread on "wide-right"? Or the 51-3 win over the Raiders the week before "wide-right"? :oops:

Personally, at this point in my 41 year career as a Bills fan, I'm just interested in the present Buffalo Bills teams. As much as I was awed and thrilled by those teams of the late 80's to mid 90's, they never won a SB, and my one wish is to see the Buffalo (not Niagara or Toronto or San Antonio) Bills win a SB. And at Ralph's age and the way he's been running his team lately, that wish is becoming more of a fantasy every day.

As we all know that was a great edition of the Bills. What makes the victory that much sweeter is that it came against a great Houston Oilers team.

On offense they had Warren Moon, Haywood Jeffires, Ernest Givens, Webster Slaughter, Lorenzo White, Bruce Matthews, Mike Munchak and Don Maggs. Seven of those players made the Pro Bowl that year and the other two were also Pro Bowl caliber players.

On defense they had Ray Childress, William Fuller, Sean Jones, Lamar Lathon, Al Smith, Cris Dishman, Jerry Gray (yes, that Jerry Gray), Bubba McDowell, and Marcus Robertson. Of these 9 defenders, 8 of them made at least one Pro Bowl in their careers. All time great Al Del Greco was their kicker.

That Houston team (1991-1993) was just reeking with talent. That Houston team is one of the greatest teams to not appear in a Super Bowl. And that's because we were even greater than they were.

Why not mention that SB loss to Dallas by 35 points? We're getting all weepy eyed and emotional over the greatest comeback in NFL history, why not talk about one of the greatest SB blowout losses in NFL history while we're at it? Or I know, how about a whole thread on "wide-right"? Or the 51-3 win over the Raiders the week before "wide-right"? :oops:

Personally, at this point in my 41 year career as a Bills fan, I'm just interested in the present Buffalo Bills teams. As much as I was awed and thrilled by those teams of the late 80's to mid 90's, they never won a SB, and my one wish is to see the Buffalo (not Niagara or Toronto or San Antonio) Bills win a SB. And at Ralph's age and the way he's been running his team lately, that wish is becoming more of a fantasy every day.

Yah, if our boys could only lay off the booze and coke for a few nights, things could have been different.

It is hard not to be pessimistic after the last decade, and the long list of disappointments with no NFL champions. I have been a fan for 45 years myself, but every now and then I like to see some of the highlights when Buffalo had a team. It reminds me of how excellent they were.

I cannot only be interested in this year's team because I have no idea what we will see; as you point out, wishing for a SB Champ is mostly fantasy right now.

If you do not like threads like this, no sense being the Grinch. :) Just don't read them!

Go Bills!