SI's Don Banks tabs Bills playoff team in '09

Buffalo -- Was the Bills' 5-1 start last season a mirage? It's possible, given the five teams Buffalo beat in that span finished a combined 24-56 (.300), with only one of them (the 8-8 Chargers) turning respectable later in the season. It's a make-or-break season in Buffalo, because Dick Jauron and his staff know a fourth consecutive 7-9 finish spells the end, and that should lend both clarity and urgency to the situation.

Signing Terrell Owens was the ultimate win-now move, but a good short-term fix for an offense in desperate need of more points and production. The Bills' reworked offensive line remains a work in progress, but the season should rise or fall on the progress Trent Edwards makes in his second full season as a starter, and the development of offensive coordinator Turk Schonert as a play-caller. If both aren't markedly better, the Bills will stretch the AFC's longest playoff drought to a decade.

Don Banks is following through on the NFL playoff theory that 6 of the 12 teams turnover from year to year.

AFC in - AFC out

New England - Baltimore

Houston - Miami

Buffalo - Indianapolis

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...ex.html?eref=T1

I am sorry but i am finding it extremely difficult to believe that the COLTS will not make the playoffs :censored: So it looks like one is definately wrong...

I am sorry but i am finding it extremely difficult to believe that the COLTS will not make the playoffs :censored: So it looks like one is definately wrong...

Well, to play devil's advocate, they are coming off a year when they got bounced in the first round by a Chargers team that we beat, Manning is a year older, they have a new head coach, their offensive line isn't as solid as it has been for the past decade or so, their receiving corps is damn thin, defense is always suspect, and they play in what could turn out to be the toughest division in football this season. Those are just a few reasons that it's not so crazy to say that the Colts could miss the playoffs in '09. Not saying it will definetely happen, but there are signs that point to a down year.

Well, to play devil's advocate, they are coming off a year when they got bounced in the first round by a Chargers team that we beat, Manning is a year older, they have a new head coach, their offensive line isn't as solid as it has been for the past decade or so, their receiving corps is damn thin, defense is always suspect, and they play in what could turn out to be the toughest division in football this season. Those are just a few reasons that it's not so crazy to say that the Colts could miss the playoffs in '09. Not saying it will definetely happen, but there are signs that point to a down year.

They have also lost other coaches besides Dungy. I know they lost their Offensive Coordinator, & I think they lost a couple position coaches. Losing the OC is about as big as losing Dungy as he had TOTAL control of the offensive side of the ball. A number of people on NFL Network have predicted the Colts will miss the playoffs this year.

I really think this could happen.

First of all a blind man could have seen the chinks starting to show in Indys armor last year. Also Dungy's exit can not be a positive.

Second, i think Pennington led Fins go back to 6-10 season. Henne starts around game 7 for them.

Ravens, that D started to look old and slow last year at times. Ryan is gone, and so is some of the talent from the D.

To me the Texans are just like the Bills, they have put together a very nice young team. But everything for both clubs is in the hands of the QBs. If Edwards and Schaubb step up, then i do believe those two teams are in the playoffs. But just like the Bills the Texans are also hoping the Oline can protect better, and allow their young QB to excell.

They have also lost other coaches besides Dungy. I know they lost their Offensive Coordinator, & I think they lost a couple position coaches. Losing the OC is about as big as losing Dungy as he had TOTAL control of the offensive side of the ball. A number of people on NFL Network have predicted the Colts will miss the playoffs this year.

even with no coaches, the Colts would be better coached than the Bills. <_<

hard to understand how a Bills team with a proven track record of bungling their way out of the playoffs for a decade gets the benefit of the doubt over a Colts organization run by Bill Polian which has been a true title contender for the same time period.

The Colts are replacing their coaches internally so there are no new systems being implemented and they still have the best QB in the league executing the offense.

even with no coaches, the Colts would be better coached than the Bills. <_<

hard to understand how a Bills team with a proven track record of bungling their way out of the playoffs for a decade gets the benefit of the doubt over a Colts organization run by Bill Polian which has been a true title contender for the same time period.

The Colts are replacing their coaches internally so there are no new systems being implemented and they still have the best QB in the league executing the offense.

He pens this while happily fondiling his Peyton Manning bobble head doll.