Crazy situation at my old high school!

I attended Canandaigua Academy. This is the talk of the town obviously. Sad

"A 17-year-old senior who shot and killed himself this morning in a bathroom at Canandaigua Academy had 30 rounds of ammunition and two explosive devices in his locker.

Police said Thomas Kane used a sawed-off shotgun and died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound but did not use the Molotov cocktail-type devices, two glass bottles filled with liquid and rags, that were in his locker."

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/articl...WSFRONTCAROUSEL

I attended Canandaigua Academy. This is the talk of the town obviously. Sad

"A 17-year-old senior who shot and killed himself this morning in a bathroom at Canandaigua Academy had 30 rounds of ammunition and two explosive devices in his locker.

Police said Thomas Kane used a sawed-off shotgun and died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound but did not use the Molotov cocktail-type devices, two glass bottles filled with liquid and rags, that were in his locker."

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/articl...WSFRONTCAROUSEL

Very sad ...very sad ... only positive is that he did not take another person's life.

Tragic. Prayers to his family.

I watched a documentary just last night on PBS dealing with the subject of teen suicide and it's just pititful. According to the CDC, 1 in 7 teens have given serious thought to committing suicide. 1 in 14 actually do.

We as a society have to ask ourselves why that is.

The documentary also showed a high school where they are trying to mitigate the potential by taking a day off from classes and having the kids sit in a large assembly area and talk about themselves. It was amazing how easy it was for these kids to open up to each other and the therapeautic benefits were almost immediate. Not to mention the comraderie, school spirit, and cooperation this type of learning environment generated.

Tragic. Prayers to his family.

I watched a documentary just last night on PBS dealing with the subject of teen suicide and it's just pititful. According to the CDC, 1 in 7 teens have given serious thought to committing suicide. 1 in 14 actually do.

We as a society have to ask ourselves why that is.

The documentary also showed a high school where they are trying to mitigate the potential by taking a day off from classes and having the kids sit in a large assembly area and talk about themselves. It was amazing how easy it was for these kids to open up to each other and the therapeautic benefits were almost immediate. Not to mention the comraderie, school spirit, and cooperation this type of learning environment generated.

I like that idea. Combat the isolation up front and try to make kids feel wanted.

I moved to GA with about 4 months left in my senior year of high school. A student had commited suicide during an economics class at the school I transferred into. All of the carpet in that building was blue, except for that one room, where the brilliant school officials installed light purple. How's that for a daily reminder of what happened? I remember noticing the carpet but I didn't know why it was that way until after I had graduated.

A couple years after that, another kid died after being punched by some kid that was bullying him at the same school.

The father of the student that commited suicide actually wound up getting a law passed that criminalizes bullying.