The United States Congress and the BCS

Isn't it great that our representatives are looking into a revision of the annual determination of the #1 football team?

Doesn't that kind of change renew your faith in the focus and function of our government?

Will Pete Carrol and Nick Saban get to testify, will they bring their playbooks?

Is Harry Reid an offensive coordinator?

Does Nancy Pelosi look like a punt... er' punter to you?

Will teams from Republican states always be the visiting team?

Will....

So, with the Republicans enjoying a minority number lower than whale feces, I'm supposed to think that Joe Barton is calling the tune on this one? Do you really think that Harry and Nancy don't have a tight rein on what sees the light of day?

So, with the Republicans enjoying a minority number lower than whale feces, I'm supposed to think that Joe Barton is calling the tune on this one? Do you really think that Harry and Nancy don't have a tight rein on what sees the light of day?

Do you know the concept of introducing legislation?

.. well obviously you don't... silly question on my part.

Very familiar w/ the concept...also familiar with the concept of legislative control by the majority party; see definitions of leader, whip, chair and speaker in the context of the US Congress.

Formally put - If'n there ain't no interest by the majority, it don't see the light of day!

(Thanks for confirming the tendency of many of this board's posters to always ridicule the individual who holds an opinion that differs from yours.)

Oh so that makes it different. Play on! :unsure:

It is when the original poster was clearly making it a partisan attack, and not one on Congress as a whole. The three sentences where he actually referenced the government, he badmouthed one side and not the other. Deb was simply showing that that one side wasn't who started it.

Now, if the original poster and thread was only about the government as a whole, and not taking sides, it wouldn't make it different, as you surmised.

It is when the original poster was clearly making it a partisan attack, and not one on Congress as a whole. The three sentences where he actually referenced the government, he badmouthed one side and not the other. Deb was simply showing that that one side wasn't who started it.

Now, if the original poster and thread was only about the government as a whole, and not taking sides, it wouldn't make it different, as you surmised.

The original poster was making a partisan attack and so was Deb. In my mind they're all idiots and I was just making that point...again. But thanks for giving me instructions as to how the thought processes in a thread are supposed to go.

The original poster was making a partisan attack and so was Deb. In my mind they're all idiots and I was just making that point...again.

But your response made no such distinction, and your history of responses is to bash Dems more than it is to bash both sides equally, which you also do a significant amount of time. Anyone could easily have interpreted your response to be a slam at her and not both. :unsure:

But thanks for giving me instructions as to how the thought processes in a thread are supposed to go.

You're welcome. I'm just providing a community service.

But your response made no such distinction, and your history of responses is to bash Dems more than it is to bash both sides equally, which you also do a significant amount of time. Anyone could easily have interpreted your response to be a slam at her and not both. :P

I gotta stop posting here so much. So I'm off to Buena Vista for an Irish Coffee or four. :unsure:

Why should this be a matter about which Congress can't say, broadly, "Institute a playoff system"?

It's what everyone wants, and yet, Swofford, et al refuse to budge from their computers b/c they want to keep their boondoggle going.

Boise State is spending $X million, has had three no-loss seasons, and they haven't sniffed a chance at a title while teams that have lost win. What more do they have to do?

Why shouldn't Congress be allowed to order a system that is more fair, when those who have run it have broken the public trust?

If it were a matter of a product having razor blades in it, there would be no questions. The consumer needs protection.

Such a net product in the sports world is a little hard to see. What is the product that sports produces? It produces a feeling and history, neither is a tangible item. I can get it that people are wondering how/why Congress would seek to protect an intangible product. But it is a product nonetheless, and it is tainted. It would have been much preferable for the NCAA to do this on its own, in its own best interests. Alas, the big schools have exerted enough influence to essentially bar inclusion in the championship. An order/threat to play fair has to come from further up.

Also, bear in mind that this came in a lull session when most of the Congresscritters were back home. It's not like it held up any important legislative motions or debate.

Why should this be a matter about which Congress can't say, broadly, "Institute a playoff system"?

It's what everyone wants, and yet, Swofford, et al refuse to budge from their computers b/c they want to keep their boondoggle going.

:

While they are at it, they should make the NFL put all it's games on free TV and lower ticket prices. Everybody wants it except the owners and players who want to keep their boondoogle going.

At a minimum, subsidizing season ticket prices should have been part of the stimulus package.