Do you feel this years team is an improvement over last years?

Assuming that no major pieces get added to the roster are the bills as presently constructed a better team than last years bills team was going into last season? Overall I feel this team is better by a small margin but is that enough?

I feel that the defense is better but by a little margin. Maybin should inject some help into the pass rush and Byrd and Florence added to the secondary should compensate for the loss of Greer. Mcelvin getting a year under his belt should also improve the secondary. But overall this D is just one maybe two players better than last years. You also have to factor in that Stroud our best D lineman is one year older.

The offense to me has gotten better but by a moderate amount. Trent having another year under his belt is a step up but that gets negated by the fact that his injury concerns are even greater now. The addition of TO is a huge step up. Nelson at tight end right now seems like a very small step up (he is replacing a guy who pro football prospectus called one of the worst starters in the NFL at any position) but he is so unproven that you can't count him as much more than that. The running back situation is a slight step down because of Lynch's suspension.

The O line is better but by a modest margin. Wood and that new center from Carolina (can't think of his name feel free to tell me) are good upgrades. Assuming Butler plays RT and Levetrie plays RG the right side is about the same as last years. Now LT is hard to judge because Peters at his best is better than Walker but last year Peters was at his worst for most of the season so I will say that Walker is a moderate step down at the most important o line position.

Is upgrading a 7-9 team by a small margin enough or has the division gotten better than us. I feel that in 2007 we were a over achieving team that suffered a huge amount of injuries but feasted off two weak rivals in our division. So after that season we added people in the draft and in free agency/trades and we were 7-9 but had we would have been a whole lot worse had we not done those additions. Now after another 7-9 season have we upgraded our roster enough to make the playoffs? I think we finish 8-8 or 9-7 once again assuming there are no roster moves done.

When you think about it, the Bills were pretty close to being 9-7 (Jets and Browns game go our way.) The addition of T.O. can't be underestimated. The Bills had no viable #2 WR last year. Now throw in a viable TE option in Nelson, and better run blocking with Wood, Hangartner, and Levitre and you can't help but thing the Bills offense will improve. Oh and let's not forget Trent having a year to recover from the effects of his concussion.

On D it's hard to say if we'll be better. Lot's of if's:

IF Schoebel returns to Pro Bowl form

IF Maybin can contribute right away

IF Alvin Bowen is fully recovered from his knee injury

IF Nic Harris can contribute right away

IF the Bills add a DT like Henderson

I think 9-7 is very doable.

PTR

Guest dog14787
Assuming that no major pieces get added to the roster are the bills as presently constructed a better team than last years bills team was going into last season? Overall I feel this team is better by a small margin but is that enough?

I feel that the defense is better but by a little margin. Maybin should inject some help into the pass rush and Byrd and Florence added to the secondary should compensate for the loss of Greer. Mcelvin getting a year under his belt should also improve the secondary. But overall this D is just one maybe two players better than last years. You also have to factor in that Stroud our best D lineman is one year older.

The offense to me has gotten better but by a moderate amount. Trent having another year under his belt is a step up but that gets negated by the fact that his injury concerns are even greater now. The addition of TO is a huge step up. Nelson at tight end right now seems like a very small step up (he is replacing a guy who pro football prospectus called one of the worst starters in the NFL at any position) but he is so unproven that you can't count him as much more than that. The running back situation is a slight step down because of Lynch's suspension.

The O line is better but by a modest margin. Wood and that new center from Carolina (can't think of his name feel free to tell me) are good upgrades. Assuming Butler plays RT and Levetrie plays RG the right side is about the same as last years. Now LT is hard to judge because Peters at his best is better than Walker but last year Peters was at his worst for most of the season so I will say that Walker is a moderate step down at the most important o line position.

Is upgrading a 7-9 team by a small margin enough or has the division gotten better than us. I feel that in 2007 we were a over achieving team that suffered a huge amount of injuries but feasted off two weak rivals in our division. So after that season we added people in the draft and in free agency/trades and we were 7-9 but had we would have been a whole lot worse had we not done those additions. Now after another 7-9 season have we upgraded our roster enough to make the playoffs? I think we finish 8-8 or 9-7 once again assuming there are no roster moves done.

Before Shoebels injury last season, the defense when given a good pass rusher looked allot different then it did after Shoebels injury in my opinion. When you add Maybin to the mix, our pass rush just got even better and our defensive backfield could end up being one of the best in the league.

I also think Shawn Nelson could have an immediate impact, Nelson was a primary weapon for his offense and was double teamed most of his college career and still produced good numbers. Between TO, Nelson, and our great group of RB's, Trent Edwards has allot of good dump off and short passing options now and with the addition of TO, Lee Evans will see more single coverage.

I see big improvements, if TE plays well, enough to beat anybody in my opinion.

Yeah every team has a bunch of ifs on it mainly if a team can stay healthy. But the big thing to consider is have we gotten better than the teams in our division? The Dolphins I think will come down to Earth a bit and the Jets D is better but their offense has gotten worse. The pats get Brady back plus draft and free agent additions. I also think you are overestimating the impact that nelson could have. There is a reason he feel to the fourth round

Lets do this position by poisition:0= same +1 equals better -1 equals worse

Qb1=0, QB2=0 QB3=0 =0

HB1=0 HB2=0 HB3=+1 =+1

WR1=+1 WR2=0 wr3=0 wr4=0 wr5=0 wr6=0 =+1

TE1=+1 TE2=0 TE3=0 =+1

FB=0 =0

LT=-1 LG=+1 C=+1 RG=0 RT=0 =+1

DE1=0 DE2=+.5 DE3+1 DE4=0 =+1.5 (schoebel return gives us +.5)

LOLB=0 MLB=0 ROLB=0 =0

DT1=0 DT2=0 DT3=0 DT4=0 =0

Cb1=0 CB2=+1 CB3=0 CB4=0 CB 5=0 =+1

FS's=+1 =+1

SS=0

OVerall= +7.5

So yes it would appear we have improved the team over last years team provided the players live up to thier abilities

I am still sticking to 7-9

Guest dog14787
Yeah every team has a bunch of ifs on it mainly if a team can stay healthy. But the big thing to consider is have we gotten better than the teams in our division? The Dolphins I think will come down to Earth a bit and the Jets D is better but their offense has gotten worse. The pats get Brady back plus draft and free agent additions. I also think you are overestimating the impact that nelson could have. There is a reason he feel to the fourth round

PTR's comments about Trent Edwards state of mind after the concussion is shared by many.

TO alone, being used as a relief valve and drawing double coverage away from Lee Evans should have a huge impact on the offense in my opinion.

Time will tell about Nelson.

DJ is still the coach of this team. No roster improvement can compensate for that. Factor in our MUCH tougher schedule and going 7-9 would be an improvement over last year. How much better this team really is will be noticeable in 2-3 years when we have two PB caliber interior O Lineman, dominant running game, solid QB, two good young and big WRs, and hopefully a dominant pass rusher on the edge. Throw in a winning coach and the Bills will have finally made the playoffs after a 12 year hiatus.

Assuming that no major pieces get added to the roster are the bills as presently constructed a better team than last years bills team was going into last season?....

If the new OL plays solid, and there is no rash of important injuries, with the addition of T.O, Rhodes & Nelson, and if Edwards stays healthy all year, then the offense will be much improved over last season.

If Schobel is healthy and has a good year, and Maybin contributes at least 4 or 5 sacks and a bunch of QB hurries, and Williams and Stoud have even better years then last year, and Kelsay or the rookie DE from Virginia Tech who missed the entire season in IR last year make decent contributions, and Poz plays better, and Ellison or somebody plays better, with the addition of Bryd and the solid DE's coming back, then the defense can be improved.

Special teams needs to of course stay special.

Added together, with luck and again, without a rash of major injuries, the Bills can make the playoffs this season at 9-7-0, or 10-6-0 at best, in my opinion.

If the new OL plays solid, and there is no rash of important injuries, with the addition of T.O, Rhodes & Nelson, and if Edwards stays healthy all year, then the offense will be much improved over last season.

If Schobel is healthy and has a good year, and Maybin contributes at least 4 or 5 sacks and a bunch of QB hurries, and Williams and Stoud have even better years then last year, and Kelsay or the rookie DE from Virginia Tech who missed the entire season in IR last year make decent contributions, and Poz plays better, and Ellison or somebody plays better, with the addition of Bryd and the solid DE's coming back, then the defense can be improved.

Special teams needs to of course stay special.

Added together, with luck and again, without a rash of major injuries, the Bills can make the playoffs this season at 9-7-0, or 10-6-0 at best, in my opinion.

Ah yes, the old take-a-look-at-my-own-assumptions-about-the-team-ignore-the-schedule-and-make-up-a-record game.

DJ is still the coach of this team. No roster improvement can compensate for that. Factor in our MUCH tougher schedule and going 7-9 would be an improvement over last year. How much better this team really is will be noticeable in 2-3 years when we have two PB caliber interior O Lineman, dominant running game, solid QB, two good young and big WRs, and hopefully a dominant pass rusher on the edge. Throw in a winning coach and the Bills will have finally made the playoffs after a 12 year hiatus.

Boy do I agree with this post. Especially the first three sentences.

I'm tired of trying to use different analogies to illustrate the point about "good workers + bad management = crappy results". People are going to believe what they want to believe and ignore a mountain of facts and evidence in the process. Fine by me. I give up. Let 'em believe that DJ will suddenly transform into a competent, winning coach, "if only <insert favorite reason here>".

There is NO wayof telling. We lost good players, picked up good player, but we have the same coach(es) and same QB.

What I DO KNOW is that Jauron will blow calls and I'm also WORRIED that the Arizona head-shot Trent suffered will make him forever gun-shy.

I sure hope he can overcome this, because if he does, this offense will be impressive.

There is NO wayof telling. We lost good players, picked up good player, but we have the same coach(es) and same QB.

What I DO KNOW is that Jauron will blow calls and I'm also WORRIED that the Arizona head-shot Trent suffered will make him forever gun-shy.

I sure hope he can overcome this, because if he does, this offense will be impressive.

But you forgot to finish off your last sentence with, "but we still have the same coach(es)".

Guest dog14787
Boy do I agree with this post. Especially the first three sentences.

I'm tired of trying to use different analogies to illustrate the point about "good workers + bad management = crappy results". People are going to believe what they want to believe and ignore a mountain of facts and evidence in the process. Fine by me. I give up. Let 'em believe that DJ will suddenly transform into a competent, winning coach, "if only <insert favorite reason here>".

DJ is a defensive minded coach. We cannot fault him for the lack of talent, youth or the fact that we have to play the Patriots twice a year. Two almost sure fire losses, what if we didn't play the Patriots, 9-7, 10-6 suddenly looks allot more possible doesn't it.

For us to be successful, we have to be able to beat the best team in the NFL. A team that nobody can beat with Tom Brady pulling the trigger, but its got to be done.

I believe the Buffalo Bills are close to having the right ingredients to compete with the Patriots and possibly beat them this season and our Defense and DJ is the main reason why.

On paper, this team is better....on the field, this team will likely be better, IMHO....but I don't know if this translates into a better W-L record. This years schedule is much tougher. I think this team playing last years schedule finishes with a record above .500.

Well we now have 2 good D linemen instead of one. The O line will be slightly better after getting rid of talented lazy fatso 1 and lazy fatso 2. We now have T O and a tight end with some actual athleticism.

We are minus Greer--one of last years best players--and we need Jarius to step up.

I think a 7-9 season would be a great improvement over last yrs 7-9creampuff schedule.

On paper, this team is better....on the field, this team will likely be better, IMHO....but I don't know if this translates into a better W-L record. This years schedule is much tougher. I think this team playing last years schedule finishes with a record above .500.

I agree I think this team woulda been 9-7.

Lets do this position by poisition:0= same +1 equals better -1 equals worse

Qb1=0, QB2=0 QB3=0 =0

HB1=0 HB2=0 HB3=+1 =+1

WR1=+1 WR2=0 wr3=0 wr4=0 wr5=0 wr6=0 =+1

TE1=+1 TE2=0 TE3=0 =+1

FB=0 =0

LT=-1 LG=+1 C=+1 RG=0 RT=0 =+1

DE1=0 DE2=+.5 DE3+1 DE4=0 =+1.5 (schoebel return gives us +.5)

LOLB=0 MLB=0 ROLB=0 =0

DT1=0 DT2=0 DT3=0 DT4=0 =0

Cb1=0 CB2=+1 CB3=0 CB4=0 CB 5=0 =+1

FS's=+1 =+1

SS=0

OVerall= +7.5

So yes it would appear we have improved the team over last years team provided the players live up to thier abilities

I am still sticking to 7-9

Whoa, looks a little too mathematical for a football post. Are you sure that you weighed the relative importance of each position in your analysis? Maybe you should include a multiplier by position to factor in importance. Some positions, like the lines could be averaged and then multiplied by a factor which takes chemistry into account. Then the entire offense and defense can be summed up and compared.

Or you could just use your gut. Mine says that the offense will be much improved and the defense as well. Unfortunately, our division is improved also so I still think we are looking at 8-8.

I don't think that if this team goes 7-9 again it would be an improvement at all. Last years 7-9 was an improvement over the previous year but we can't see it that way this year. The reason being TO if we go 7-9 this year than we are out a talented WR and don't forget another possible hole at corner when/if McGee leaves. Basically we can't just hope for 7-9 or 8-8 and say well this year was much harder than the year before because for once we have 2 pro bowl caliber receivers and a pro bowl caliber running back, and we invested two day one picks on the o-line and two day one picks on the defense including our first rounder.

I think that its win now for the bills and if they go in with what they have now 7-9 would be a complete failure and I hope the front office sees it that way. I also think that unless the team makes the playoffs or wins 10 games than DJ should be fired and Gruden or some other coach with a SB ring should step in.