Bruce Smith and Maybin

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My question about Maybin is that since he doesn't have natural lower body power- if he wants to excel he's going to have to do the work ie Squats, tractor tire flipping, hill running, car pushing, sandbag lifting, reverse hypers, and so on- the trouble is that most people hate that kind of work, they're fine with benches, pulldowns and curls, even ab work but most people hate the hard work needed to develop lower body functional strength- it isn't fun so only the very disciplined do it.

When Indianapolis Colts President Bill Polian kept hearing coaches talk about the importance of size, he decided to put the theory to a test, comparing winning percentages to the average weight of players on each team over about 10 seasons.

"We found higher weight had no bearing on winning — none," said Polian, who was the general manager in Buffalo when the Bills played in four Super Bowls. "There was a lot of noise about 'Big is the answer.' We tested it. It's not valid."

That study is only for avg. weight. So RB, QB, DB, LB and others are included in the sample. Along the lines size is very important IMO. If a 275 pound DE is going against a 320 pound lineman all game it can wear him out. Of course the lineman would have to have mobility as well so size isn't the only thing. A smaller guy who can move and leverage better than a big guy is obviously more valuable. If a team can find a big guy who can move so much the better. Being small doesn't affect ability as much as some people think but a big guy who can move is always better than a small guy who can move. JMO

I looked up Bruce's size-he was 6'4" and weighed 280lbs. Is that right? After seeing pictures of Maybin at close to 250lbs, he looked about as big as he is going to get and still maintain his speed like Dwight Freeney. Does anyone think Maybin can hit 280lbs?

Camparing Maybin to Bruce just isn't fair. I think a better comparison would be Maybin and Jason Taylor. Taylor is a little taller and currently plays at around 245 or 250, I don't know what he weighed when drafted. If Maybin can produce like JT did in his prime, I will be very happy Bills fan...

When Indianapolis Colts President Bill Polian kept hearing coaches talk about the importance of size, he decided to put the theory to a test, comparing winning percentages to the average weight of players on each team over about 10 seasons.

"We found higher weight had no bearing on winning — none," said Polian, who was the general manager in Buffalo when the Bills played in four Super Bowls. "There was a lot of noise about 'Big is the answer.' We tested it. It's not valid."

That study is only for avg. weight. So RB, QB, DB, LB and others are included in the sample. Along the lines size is very important IMO. If a 275 pound DE is going against a 320 pound lineman all game it can wear him out. Of course the lineman would have to have mobility as well so size isn't the only thing. A smaller guy who can move and leverage better than a big guy is obviously more valuable. If a team can find a big guy who can move so much the better. Being small doesn't affect ability as much as some people think but a big guy who can move is always better than a small guy who can move. JMO

Great Find Steely Dan!

I also remember Polian saying that Maybin would project to be a DE.

Guys.....you do realize that players weight greatly fluctuates during a season and a lot have a hard time keeping it on even if they get their weight up in the offseaon?

Case in point....my son is a DE/OLB for his school (just loves the Maybin pick since he is also being considered undersized and got picked at 11) but anyways

His junior season he got to 210 pounds in the offseason and going into training camp.....want to know how much he weight by seasons end? 185 pounds.

Its a combonation of things......massive amounts of calories being expended......not being able to lift like a wildman during season because your body is beat to @hit on Friday night and it takes half the week to recuperate from it......numerous things

BUT...you would never know that he was outweight by as much as 75 pounds some nights because you play with leverage, technique, and nastiness

Lets hope Maybin is that type of player