Drew Willy

zazie

When Baltimore signed Beck, they cut Todd Bouman who has since signed with Jacksonville. Still puts Willy behind 3 veterans, Flacco, Troy Smith and now Beck.

I'm thinking Drew Willy's thinking he picked the wrong team out of those 8 now. Let's hope he has a good camp and catches on with another team. Beck is Cam Cameron's boy-yee.

PTR

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While the Ball State alums do bring up valid points, coming from someone who never really "got" college football, last year's UB football season was some of the most fun I had watching football in a looong time. Isn't that what its supposed to be, fun? The players genuinely enjoyed being on the field, playing for pride, and pretty much, nothing else. That's what its about folks, connecting oneself to the bigger picture. Thats what a good sports story is. Was Willy the best QB in college football? Of course not. There is something to be said about A LOT of people that are paid big money to do what we're doing right now, talk about football, that believe Willy to be a pretty talented player. He made some GREAT throws last year, and, actually uses the laces by the way. When Nate Davis got drafted, Jaws was going on and on about his flawed footwork and mechanics. Mechanics can be corrected, but retraining YEARS of muscle memory is going to be a challenge. I'm not an athlete, but I can tell you that much.

Was it the best football you'll ever watch? Obviously not, its a mid major conference. But at least it was fun. You can feel that the coaches are in charge of the situation and wont make boneheaded, terrible game-day decisions like professional buffalo football coaches. Take it for what its worth. Tickets are free, or REALLY cheap. The band is good. Some of the cheerleaders are good looking. Oh, and there's not a crowd full of wasted idiots that cant stop shouting incessant nonsense the whole time. At a recent Sabres game, the guy right next to me could not go literally a minute without shouting "FIRE REGIERRRRRRR" Seriously, they heard you, and please just watch hockey and shut up. Ill tell ya what, for free, I'll go to as many UB games as possible.

While the Ball State alums do bring up valid points, coming from someone who never really "got" college football, last year's UB football season was some of the most fun I had watching football in a looong time. Isn't that what its supposed to be, fun? The players genuinely enjoyed being on the field, playing for pride, and pretty much, nothing else. That's what its about folks, connecting oneself to the bigger picture. Thats what a good sports story is. Was Willy the best QB in college football? Of course not. There is something to be said about A LOT of people that are paid big money to do what we're doing right now, talk about football, that believe Willy to be a pretty talented player. He made some GREAT throws last year, and, actually uses the laces by the way. When Nate Davis got drafted, Jaws was going on and on about his flawed footwork and mechanics. Mechanics can be corrected, but retraining YEARS of muscle memory is going to be a challenge. I'm not an athlete, but I can tell you that much.

Was it the best football you'll ever watch? Obviously not, its a mid major conference. But at least it was fun. You can feel that the coaches are in charge of the situation and wont make boneheaded, terrible game-day decisions like professional buffalo football coaches. Take it for what its worth. Tickets are free, or REALLY cheap. The band is good. Some of the cheerleaders are good looking. Oh, and there's not a crowd full of wasted idiots that cant stop shouting incessant nonsense the whole time. At a recent Sabres game, the guy right next to me could not go literally a minute without shouting "FIRE REGIERRRRRRR" Seriously, they heard you, and please just watch hockey and shut up. Ill tell ya what, for free, I'll go to as many UB games as possible.

good post...I bought UB season tickets last year....only went to one game, but I intend on going to a bunch more this year....a HUGE group of us went to Toronto for the International Bowl and even though we lost, we had a great time...

Agree and agree. I have 4 UB seasons. I get to one or two games a year (did go to Toronto...awesome!) the rest I give to friends. It doesn't matter because I want to support the program. This year I plan to go to four games: Pitt, Temple on the road, Gardner-Webb, and Bowling Green.

Whatever the level, there's no question Willy was money last year. The 20pt 4Q OT comeback vs BGSU to clinch the MAC east was an epic game. So was the 4OT win over Akron, the 14pt comback vs Army and the hail mary bomb vs Temple. UB had the same vibe the Jim Kelly Bills and Chris Drury Sabres had - even if they were losing you had a feeling they could still win it.

I do hope we can get some Bills fans to show up for the Pitt home opener on Sep 12. It's rare that a BCS team plays here and even with rookie Zach Maynard at QB this will still be a team that will make some noise.

And speaking of coaches, how do you think Turner Gill would do with the Bills?

PTR

When Baltimore signed Beck, they cut Todd Bouman who has since signed with Jacksonville. Still puts Willy behind 3 veterans, Flacco, Troy Smith and now Beck.

Maybe you could bring this up on WGR with Bulldog and Panther...

I'll bite. Big Ben, Leftwich, Pennington, etc. ring a bell? Not trying to turn this into a my alma mater vs. yours kinda thing but Roethlisberger's final year at Miami was just as dominant if not more so than Davis'. There have been many MAC QB's in recent years that have had VERY productive college carreers.

I also think the MAC get's some very good QB's because good athletes actually get a chance to play and not burried on the depth chart.

right on Peevo.. right on..