Round 7, Pick 220: ELLIS LANKSTER, CB, West Virginia

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly. I would love to find out who is in charge of

the DB's in the draft.....must be Ralph's wife or some

sh*t like that....

I have it from sources deep within that it is his internet addicted messageboard trolling grandson...

Specifically, who?

What type of NFL career do you expect from a 7th rounder?

John Parker Wilson, or the QB from Purdue. Or, any OT or DT selected after we picked. That question is a moot point imro. I don't get paid to scout. I pay to go to RWS and watch the Bills lose because of dumb moves.

As far as your second rhetorical question, I exect nothing and hope for the best. I think Bryce Paup was a sixth, along with Brady and others who played well. My point is, why not take a chance at a position of need? C'mon Bro, dontcha know where I'm going with this?

John Parker Wilson, or the QB from Purdue. Or, any OT or DT selected after we picked. That question is a moot point imro. I don't get paid to scout. I pay to go to RWS and watch the Bills lose because of dumb moves.

As far as your seconf rhetorical question, I exect nothing and hope for the best. I think Bryce Paup was a sixth, along with Brady and others who played well. My point is, why not take a chance at a position of need? C'mon Bro, dontcha know where I'm going with this?

Well, I've seen Parker-Wilson play on a number of occasions, and I think he sucks. His arm makes Willy's look like a howitzer. Painter, eh, nothing more than a backup.

Point is, none of us know whether these late round picks (or the early ones, for that matter) will pan out. I just think that to dismiss the picks as "wastes" solely because of their position is misguided. I'd much rather draft a DB than a P, K or LS. But that's just me.

Well, I've seen Parker-Wilson play on a number of occasions, and I think he sucks. His arm makes Willy's look like a howitzer. Painter, eh, nothing more than a backup.

Point is, none of us know whether these late round picks (or the early ones, for that matter) will pan out. I just think that to dismiss the picks as "wastes" solely because of their position is misguided. I'd much rather draft a DB than a P, K or LS. But that's just me.

When you take a chance on a qb, there is a HUGE reward, even in terms of trade value if he has even one very good game (see Rob Johnson). It is always a good idea to draft one and cross your fingers instead of ending (and usually starting) every draft with defensive backs, wouldn't you say?

Specifically, who?

What type of NFL career do you expect from a 7th rounder?

And yet, the Bills apparently expect a seventh-rounder to be an important part of their OT rotation. Hmmm ...

6 DB's in two draft years?

That's about a DB every 3rd pick.

Classic!

Exactly...But it's actually worse than that...

There are 4 Starters at DB on every NFL Team which is exactly 18.18% of Starters...

Since Ol' Dead Dick has come to town The Buffalo Bills have Picked 34 times in 4 Years...With those 34 Picks they have drafted 10 DB's...That's almost 30% of their Draft Picks at DB...They have Drafted a DB in the 1st Round two out of those four Drafts...In Rounds 1-4 The Bills have Drafted 6 DB's over the last 4 Drafts...Keep that in mind when you remember they had a street Free Agent Starting at SS in 08...

And so on, and so on...

Now if this was a Team that was constantly getting beat by the Pass because their DB's can't cover it would be one thing...But this is a Team on Defense that has continuously been beat in the trenches, not in the Secondary (with the possible exception of 2007 when Injuries in the Defensive Backfield were just crazy)...The Bills get almost no pressure on opposing QB and while it's nice that they took Maybin, why not take a chance on one more guy who has Pass Rush capablities at the expense of a DB on Day 2? Just for the heck of it...

More than anything the need to Draft 3 more DB's in 09 proves beyond a shadow of a doubt The Bills have done a piss poor job of Drafting DB's in the previous 3 years...It's a lot of wasted Picks...And if you think these late Round Picks can't pan out well along the interior lines check out the Bills Depth Chart at O-Line in 09...Especially on the Right Side where they are expecting a 5th Round Pick to Start at RG and a 7th Round Pick to Start at RT...One of their Starting DT's is a 5th Round Pick...A Starting LB is a 6th round Pick...It is possible...When you're not obsessed with Drafting DB's that is...:thumbsup:

When you take a chance on a qb, there is a HUGE reward, even in terms of trade value if he has even one very good game (see Rob Johnson). It is always a good idea to draft one and cross your fingers instead of ending (and usually starting) every draft with defensive backs, wouldn't you say?

No

And yet, the Bills apparently expect a seventh-rounder to be an important part of their OT rotation. Hmmm ...

It's the same song & dance they've trotted out with some of their other late round OL "gems" - Sullivan, McFarland, Allotey, Merz, Pennington, Sobieski, Pucillo, Spriggs, etc...

How did they work out?

There are 4 Starters at DB on every NFL Team which is exactly 18.18% of Starters...

Since Ol' Dead Dick has come to town The Buffalo Bills have Picked 34 times in 4 Years...With those 34 Picks they have drafted 10 DB's...That's almost 30% of their Draft Picks at DB...They have Drafted a DB in the 1st Round two out of those four Drafts...In Rounds 1-4 The Bills have Drafted 6 DB's over the last 4 Drafts...Keep that in mind when you remember they had a street Free Agent Starting at SS in 08...

And so on, and so on...

Now if this was a Team that was constantly getting beat by the Pass because their DB's can't cover it would be one thing...But this is a Team on Defense that has continuously been beat in the trenches, not in the Secondary (with the possible exception of 2007 when Injuries in the Defensive Backfield were just crazy)...The Bills get almost no pressure on opposing QB and while it's nice that they took Maybin, why not take a chance on one more guy who has Pass Rush capablities at the expense of a DB on Day 2? Just for the heck of it...

More than anything the need to Draft 3 more DB's in 09 proves beyond a shadow of a doubt The Bills have done a piss poor job of Drafting DB's in the previous 3 years...It's a lot of wasted Picks...And if you think these late Round Picks can't pan out well along the interior lines check out the Bills Depth Chart at O-Line in 09...Especially on the Right Side where they are expecting a 5th Round Pick to Start at RG and a 7th Round Pick to Start at RT...One of their Starting DT's is a 5th Round Pick...A Starting LB is a 6th round Pick...It is possible...When you're not obsessed with Drafting DB's that is...B-)

:thumbsup:<_<:worthy:

It's the same song & dance they've trotted out with some of their other late round OL "gems" - Sullivan, McFarland, Allotey, Merz, Pennington, Sobieski, Pucillo, Spriggs, etc...

How did they work out?

Oh, jeez. Don't get my friend Bill started on Pucillo ...

Oh, jeez. Don't get my friend Bill started on Pucillo ...

Or Ostroski, Corey Hulsey, Joe Panos, etc. :thumbsup:

Honestly, the one I was the most revolted by was Spriggs. He didn't care what the opposing team did to the qb, be it a late hit....anything. He wouldn't even help the qb up, let alone retaliate.

Pucillo and Loucheiy were good comedy shows. Loucheiy would take the field as if he was going to kill somebody. He sure did look like a RT, so it took me a bit longer to realize that he was completely awful.

A friend of ours knew someone close to him and said that he hated football. He wanted to teach school. Were you there when he said that?

And so on, and so on...

More than anything the need to Draft 3 more DB's in 09 proves beyond a shadow of a doubt The Bills have done a piss poor job of Drafting DB's in the previous 3 years...It's a lot of wasted Picks...And if you think these late Round Picks can't pan out well along the interior lines check out the Bills Depth Chart at O-Line in 09...Especially on the Right Side where they are expecting a 5th Round Pick to Start at RG and a 7th Round Pick to Start at RT...One of their Starting DT's is a 5th Round Pick...A Starting LB is a 6th round Pick...It is possible...When you're not obsessed with Drafting DB's that is...:thumbsup:

Thanks for working the actual numbers, KOK.

Drafting 6-7 DBs in the past 2 drafts is nothing but a self-indictment of this group's very first draft where they spent 3 of their top 4 picks on the defensive backfield. The 4th pick of that group, McCargo, has shown nothing but an outright bust. So much for laying the foundation of your team with your honeymoon year.

It seems a little surreal that the Bills seem to not worry about going 0-1 players deep at most positions, but pack their 80-man roster with DBs for depth.