Larry English

Is it just me or do the negatives outweigh the positives? I am interested in all of your opinions

as per NFL.com

Analysis

Positives: Solid linebacker build, with more than adequate upper-body strength and legs for the position. Good motor, hustles down or across the field until the play is completed, even if initially blocked. Changes direction in space well. Secure wrap-up tackler when man is in his area. Can use his arms to keep linemen and fullbacks off him when standing up. Stays balanced and upright most times on stretch plays. At times he can bounce off a block using his punch. Has quick, violent hands to stay free. Stays at home on option plays until last possible moment. Able to drop back off the line in zone blitzes and stay with tight ends. Strong week of practice at the Senior Bowl eliminated many of the concerns regarding English's level of competition.

Negatives: Lacks the bulk to play with his hand down in the NFL, which he did in college. Gets engulfed by better left tackles on inside pass rush moves, lacks the strength to bull rush and doesn't quite have the speed to get the corner consistently (but has good closing speed when standing up). Fails to hold his ground when directly out of his stance and can't get off the block quickly enough to get to the ball. Will need to prove he can handle coverage duties against better tight ends and that he has zone awareness. Needs to get lower in his backpedal, as he stands a bit tall.

Compares To: ANTHONY SPENCER, Dallas -- Some draft experts claim Larry English is the next Shawne Merriman, but that's a stretch at this point. As a pass rusher, he shows great tenacity, but that seems to be the only consistent aspect of his game. There are too many contests where he got lost in too much trash talk and isn't much of a factor. As an athlete, you have to be impressed with his power, but one look at his clocked speed makes you be concerned that he won't be able to drop back and handle speedy slot receivers outside the short area.

Injury Report

2003: Only played in seven games as a high school senior due to an early-season ankle sprain.

2004: Missed the final 11 games after suffering a shoulder injury vs. Maryland.

2007: Suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his knee vs. Texas Christian in the Poinsettia Bowl (12/19), undergoing surgery in early January 2008.

2008: Missed most of spring camp with a torn pectoral muscle...Played most of the season with pins inserted in his thumb after breaking his hand in fall camp.

No thanks on English. Too injury prone.

But it should be pointed out the negatives are a lack of bulk and strength, yet in the "compares to" section, it says, "you have to be impressed with his power." :lol:

No thanks on English. Too injury prone.

But it should be pointed out the negatives are a lack of bulk and strength, yet in the "compares to" section, it says, "you have to be impressed with his power." :lol:

Unless I'm mistaken, I thought he only missed 2 games in his whole college career?

I love English, 23 sacks and 35 TFLs combined in his Junior/Senior seasons? I'll take it.

Russ Lande of The Sporting News just loves this guy and has mocked him as high as 9 to Green Bay! The latest version had him going to Washington at 13 however. He also has mocked him to the Bills at 11, so some scouts see the potential in him, others have reservations, especially with his hand in the dirt. I feel that a years weight training in an NFL city will alleviate ALL the fears! To me, he's a football player and a good one to boot.

Unless I'm mistaken, I thought he only missed 2 games in his whole college career?

I love English, 23 sacks and 35 TFLs combined in his Junior/Senior seasons? I'll take it.

Torn ACL a year ago. Torn pec muscle last spring. Broken hand last season. He's tough enough -- playing through the pain and all, but the fact is he gets injured, which often indicates a player simply doesn't have the instincts to protect himself, IMHO.

Torn ACL a year ago. Torn pec muscle last spring. Broken hand last season. He's tough enough -- playing through the pain and all, but the fact is he gets injured, which often indicates a player simply doesn't have the instincts to protect himself, IMHO.

That certainly clears up my confusion, I knew he only missed 2 games to "knee soreness", but I didn't know about the torn pec.

Legitimate concern, I suppose. I just love the way he rushes the passer.