Buffalo's descent into mediocrity came when ...

... we drafted Willis McGahee in the first round of the 2003 draft.

We were coming off an 8-8 season, we had all the tools to be a prolific offense (the 2002 version was easily the best since the Kelly/No huddle days ... and Donahoe drafts a player who wouldn't help us at all in 2003.

When you're poised to take the next big step, from average team to playoff and Super Bowl contender, you don't take players who can't help you immediately. The window of opportunity in today's NFL is open far shorter than it was 10 years ago, or before free agency. If you're in the no-mans land of the NFL (7-9 through 9-7), you simply cannot be using your first-round picks on the future.

We absolutely blew it with that pick.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We were coming off an 8-8 season, we had all the tools to be a prolific offense (the 2002 version was easily the best since the Kelly/No huddle days ... and Donahoe drafts a player who wouldn't help us at all in 2003.

When you're poised to take the next big step, from average team to playoff and Super Bowl contender, you don't take players who can't help you immediately. The window of opportunity in today's NFL is open far shorter than it was 10 years ago, or before free agency. If you're in the no-mans land of the NFL (7-9 through 9-7), you simply cannot be using your first-round picks on the future.

we could have had dallas clark with the mcgahee pick; henry was still only on like his 7th kid and a little pot (not 11 kids and blow like in 2008), bledsoe had a little left in the tank and we rid ourselves of peerless. i think with donahoe in place he wanted 'his guy' and 2003 was a lame duck year for gregg williams.

Actually, I think it started when Polian was fired. There was just a lot further to slide from at that point....

Agfree. We had residency established in Suckville by the time we draft Willis McGoofus.

That said, let's maintain some perspective. As frustrating as multiple 7-9 seasons can be, we never sank to the depths of the Detroit Lions or Oakland Raiders.

PTR

You could also say it was the year before, taking a RT with the 4th overall pick when you know you

have lots of other holes. Not one start in the bunch with first 4 rounds.

2002 - Buffalo Bills

Rd Sel # Player Position School

1 4 Mike Williams T Texas

2 36 Josh Reed WR Louisiana State

2 61 Ryan Denney DE Brigham Young

3 97 Coy Wire SS Stanford

Quite true. I think the problem with GM's like Donahoe is that they always want to try to show how clever they are.

Yes it was Donahoe fault that this team fell so far.Starting with the Bledsoe trade and not resigning Pat Williams and then giving all them picks to Dallas to draft losman,yea and drafting MaGahee was a huge gamble that did'nt pan out all that great. I think that is why this team is where they are right now and did I mention the head coaches he brang it aaaah! :lol: OH I ALMOST FORGOT THE MIKE WILLIAMS PICK how awful was that ?

RJ over Flutie

As much as I hate the fact Ralph fired the best GM in the game, the move that totally drained the team of its winning attitude was taking the team from Flutie and giving it to Johnson. We immediately suffered one of the franchise's worst losses ever and have yet to sniff the playoffs since.

Of course, I feel strongly that if Polian were still our GM, we'd have won the division last season.

I actually think the start of mediocrity came when Wilson caught Polian porking his daughter in the press box back in the fall of 92'. In alot of ways, that was the beginning of the end of winning bills football.

I actually think the start of mediocrity came when Wilson caught Polian porking his daughter in the press box back in the fall of 92'. In alot of ways, that was the beginning of the end of winning bills football.

Some people try to be funny...others fail miserably.