After an offseason of research, I've decided on our ideal #1 pick

I get amped up every year for the draft. It's Christmas in April for me. Last year I posted photos of the 4' X 8' board that I created to list the prospects. In other words, it's a big deal for me and my friends.

So after three months of studying all of the scouting sources available to us, I've finally narrowed my choice down. Usually I will pick a few positions of need and then my top player (for the Bills, at least). Last year, my choices were DT Sedrick Ellis. DE Derrick Harvy, and CB Leodis McKelvin.

This year, I have selected one player: DE Brian Orakpo (thank you, Todd McShay, for stealing my thunder in your latest mock :rolleyes:)

I use a lot of variable to determine the best fit for the Bills, and obviously the guy that I think will be productive in the NFL. I look back over past year's scouting reports, and find common weaknesses and busts and common strengths in positives. Obviously, it's not a perfect science, but it is certainly interesting.

Without going into excessive detail, here are a few things I like about Orakpo:

- Incredible athlete

- Good college production in a big conference (about 22 sacks over three seasons, despite missing a few games his junior year)

- Great character

- Perfect size

- Excellent workouts

If Vernon Gholston never existed, we would not be leery of Orakpo as a pro prospect. I don't necessarily think it's fair to compare them to one another just because Orakpo is an athletic freak.

Trust me on this one: If Orakpo falls to us at 11 (which I'm believing he will not, but I'm hopeful nonetheless), he needs to be the guy.

I get amped up every year for the draft. It's Christmas in April for me. Last year I posted photos of the 4' X 8' board that I created to list the prospects. In other words, it's a big deal for me and my friends.

So after three months of studying all of the scouting sources available to us, I've finally narrowed my choice down. Usually I will pick a few positions of need and then my top player (for the Bills, at least). Last year, my choices were DT Sedrick Ellis. DE Derrick Harvy, and CB Leodis McKelvin.

This year, I have selected one player: DE Brian Orakpo (thank you, Todd McShay, for stealing my thunder in your latest mock :rolleyes:)

I use a lot of variable to determine the best fit for the Bills, and obviously the guy that I think will be productive in the NFL. I look back over past year's scouting reports, and find common weaknesses and busts and common strengths in positives. Obviously, it's not a perfect science, but it is certainly interesting.

Without going into excessive detail, here are a few things I like about Orakpo:

- Incredible athlete

- Good college production in a big conference (about 22 sacks over three seasons, despite missing a few games his junior year)

- Great character

- Perfect size

- Excellent workouts

If Vernon Gholston never existed, we would not be leery of Orakpo as a pro prospect. I don't necessarily think it's fair to compare them to one another just because Orakpo is an athletic freak.

Trust me on this one: If Orakpo falls to us at 11 (which I'm believing he will not, but I'm hopeful nonetheless), he needs to be the guy.

I don't think he falls. But I already promised if he does - and we pass on him - I'll do a lap around my house naked. Or give up my house. I can't remember.

Is anyone concerned about the history of UT players failing in the pros?

Does Orakpo seem "coddled" to you?

Vince Young was always going to bust. Rickey Williams didn't bust, but he didn't live up to #5 expectations. He was "different," though. Roy Williams didn't bust. Leonard Davis made the pro bowl.

Orakpo seems motivated and as a DE won't get booed. Take him if he's available.

Does Orakpo seem "coddled" to you?

Vince Young was always going to bust. Rickey Williams didn't bust, but he didn't live up to #5 expectations. He was "different," though. Roy Williams didn't bust. Leonard Davis made the pro bowl.

Orakpo seems motivated and as a DE won't get booed. Take him if he's available.

Check out his knee health before drafting him.

I don't think he falls. But I already promised if he does - and we pass on him - I'll do a lap around my house naked. Or give up my house. I can't remember.

Yikes.

Leo, please tell me that you don't live in Amherst.

Honestly though, I still think--for some reason--he's going to fall past #10, and that Buffalo will pass on him.

I'm sticking to my guns that the top 10 players picked will be:

M. Stafford

J. Smith

E. Monroe

M. Sanchez

A. Curry

A. Smith

J. Maclin

M. Crabtree

B. Raji

M. Oher

I've also heard from multiple sources (which include both Mike Lombardi of NFL.com and Mike Mayock of NFL Network) that the Raiders will take either Jeremy Maclin or...in somewhat of a surprise...Darrius Heyward-Bey. So I'm getting pretty comfortable saying that there will likely be a mini DE run starting with Buffalo, in which you'll see E. Brown, T. Jackson, and B. Orakpo all go in the next 3 picks to Buffalo, Denver, and Washington (respectively).

Although I think they're a collosal waste of time, I'm currently working on a 1-round projection, which I hope to post some time prior to Wednesday night for some fun-filled discussion.

So I'm getting pretty comfortable saying that there will likely be a mini DE run starting with Buffalo, in which you'll see E. Brown, T. Jackson, and B. Orakpo all go in the next 3 picks to Buffalo, Denver, and Washington (respectively).

According to several reports, Tyson Jackson has vaulted into the Top 5 selections. So that should bump another person back to us to choose from.

According to several reports, Tyson Jackson has vaulted into the Top 5 selections. So that should bump another person back to us to choose from.

I'm not disputing that this could happen, but that would aboslutely floor me.

Not because I don't like him, I think Jackson is a solid bet to become a good NFL player. I just think top 5 is a little bit high for a 5-technique DL.

I'm not disputing that this could happen, but that would aboslutely floor me.

Not because I don't like him, I think Jackson is a solid bet to become a good NFL player. I just think top 5 is a little bit high for a 5-technique DL.

at least some people think he could be he could be a LE in a 4-3 and kick inside on passing downs

at least some people think he could be he could be a LE in a 4-3 and kick inside on passing downs

True enough, but what team in the top 5 would be taking him to play that role?

- I doubt he'll go #1 to Detroit (or anyone else for that matter)

- St. Louis will likely take an OT or Aaron Curry

- Kansas City is shifting to a 3-4, with Tank Tyler moving to NT and Dorsey and Turk McBride set to start at DE

- Seattle plays a 4-3, but they currently have Patrick Kerney, Darryl Tapp, and Lawrence Jackson under contract for 2 more years

- Cleveland plays a 3-4

Just wondering who you think will make the move...

You have KC and Cleveland in the top 5 and they both play a 3-4. I think that Jackson will be just as good at the DE position in that defense as Richard Seymour. I could see one of them taking Jackson.

So I'm getting pretty comfortable saying that there will likely be a mini DE run starting with Buffalo, in which you'll see E. Brown, T. Jackson, and B. Orakpo all go in the next 3 picks to Buffalo, Denver, and Washington (respectively).

Modrak has already 'dissed' past FSU DE's from other drafts that have not cut it in the NFL. I don't think Everette Brown is even on the Bills' radar. Orakpo is a more logical pick, though knowing these guys, they probably have a bone for any PSU linebacker/DE. I'd think Maybe before Brown in their eyes.

I'd rather take Curry. Thanks. JK

Okay, Hardhat, what side would you have Orakpo play? LE or RE?

He is a RE, but we would have to plug him in at LE. He isn't the best against the run, but he tries. We can't switch Schobel over to LE, because he is strictly a RE. I really wouldn't want to draft a guy at 11 who would be a situational pass rusher.

Another concern with Orakpo is that he is a one trick pony who has limited pass rush moves. Granted, he could learn some new ones, but he'll never be an Everette Brown in terms of pass rush moves. Scott Wright says he is "Inconsistent", and his, "Motor runs hot and cold". That sounds a bit like Gholston if you ask me.

Most of the scouts believed his combine was good, but some characterized it as "Brutal". Ehh, I don't know, that sort of scares me.

Bottom line: Despite all the concerns about him, I would be happy with the pick. He is an impressive specimen who looks the part of a DE. He has good speed, and we all know he is a

. What will make him not become a bust like Gholston is the fact he would play DE for us rather than an OLB. Orakpo has a ton of upside, who can become a consistent 10 sack guy.

I'd rather take Curry. Thanks. JK

Okay, Hardhat, what side would you have Orakpo play? LE or RE?

He is a RE, but we would have to plug him in at LE. He isn't the best against the run, but he tries. We can't switch Schobel over to LE, because he is strictly a RE. I really wouldn't want to draft a guy at 11 who would be a situational pass rusher.

Another concern with Orakpo is that he is a one trick pony who has limited pass rush moves. Granted, he could learn some new ones, but he'll never be an Everette Brown in terms of pass rush moves. Scott Wright says he is "Inconsistent", and his, "Motor runs hot and cold". That sounds a bit like Gholston if you ask me.

Most of the scouts believed his combine was good, but some characterized it as "Brutal". Ehh, I don't know, that sort of scares me.

Bottom line: Despite all the concerns about him, I would be happy with the pick. He is an impressive specimen who looks the part of a DE. He has good speed, and we all know he is a

. What will make him not become a bust like Gholston is the fact he would play DE for us rather than an OLB. Orakpo has a ton of upside, who can become a consistent 10 sack guy.

As for moving him from RE to LE, it's not like moving a guy from safety to linebacker. There will certainly be some changes, but nothing extraordinary. And where did you hear he was "brutal" at the combine? His measurables were great. Are you sure you're not confused with Andre Smith or something?

I respect your opinion, but I think there are more red flags associated with Brown than Orakpo.

As for moving him from RE to LE, it's not like moving a guy from safety to linebacker. There will certainly be some changes, but nothing extraordinary. And where did you hear he was "brutal" at the combine? His measurables were great. Are you sure you're not confused with Andre Smith or something?

I respect your opinion, but I think there are more red flags associated with Brown than Orakpo.

Oh no, I'm not confused. Here is the report from PFT. That sort of concerns me a little bit.

If Orakpo is at 11 you take him, it is nothing like Vernon Gholsten. Gholsten got drafted and was moved to another position in a different scheme. If we draft Orakpo it is to play DE in a 4-3 just like he did in college. Just like Patrick Willis a few years ago everyone was worried about the Bills taking him if he was available because of percieved issues with giving his all, all the time and his smarts- he wasnt available and we all wish now he had been. A guy being dedicated to the wieght room is a good thing, Bruce Smith was. Texas has had plenty of guys become good NFL players, anytime a school sends that many people to the NFL they are going to have a share of busts its just the law of averages(except Penn State they bust way to often). Orakpo was good in their Bowl game, and he played injured all year and got I believe atleast 9 sacks, while missing three games. I think many people are over thinking this as they get on Ayers for not enough sacks, and Everette Brown for being to small and lining up way outside and getting alot of his that way. You cant have your cake and eat it too-Orakpo put up better numbers then Ayers, he is better built then Brown and lined up at a normal 4-3 postion across from the tackle. The reason he had problems with his combine postion drills was because some want him as a 3-4 OLB if you wanted to do that then compare him to Gholsten and be worried, but if you are going to play him at 4-3 end, he is as good as any that has come out the last few years.

I get amped up every year for the draft. It's Christmas in April for me. Last year I posted photos of the 4' X 8' board that I created to list the prospects. In other words, it's a big deal for me and my friends. So after three months of studying all of the scouting sources available to us, I've finally narrowed my choice down....DE Brian Orakpo

Orakpo would be a great pick. In my opinion, so would any of the other best DE's, or any of the top 5 or 6 OT's, at the #11 pick.