I think that we might have a real shot of getting Pettigrew at #28.

I admit I am pretty ignorant about the draft but I do not understand this statement and others like it. I mean, if you need a TE and he is available at 11, why do you care if he is taken at 11 or 20? I do not understand why it matters if, of course, your choice for the team's first pick is a TE.

Can someone explain this to me?

Because more than any other position in football, you absolutely DO NOT need a great TE to be successful. It's just icing on the cake to have one, and since the Bills cake still looks like raw eggs and flour, really can't afford to be trying to ice it just yet. You don't pick a TE at 11 because it is not an important position. Tackle is however.

ok Im really not getting the man love for Pettigrew at all...everything that I read and hear about the guy is that hes best suited as a blocking TE and doesn't have any real speed to stretch the field at all..most say hes a short yardage TE at best...so why the man love?...are we really looking for another Royal to be added when for the last 4 years at-least everybodies been screaming for a receiving threat TE?...Personaly I'd rather grab a TE like Coffman...If the Bills FO feels Fine can be the answer at TE then I'd prefer they wait till they grab the posiotions they really need before looking at Pettigrew..but thats just my opinion

Recieving and stretching the field are two different things. They aren't one and the same. Pettigrew is not a stretch-the-field guy. But he IS a recieving TE. And a guy who can catch short and medium range passes well, along with blocking extremely well, would be sensational for the Bills.

Royal was never a recieving TE, and could basically catch only when completely uncovered. You may have also noticed that his hands may have been a degree or two less dependable than, say, Fred Biletnikoff. Not true with Pettigrew, who has terrific hands.

Do you want a guy who can do both halves of what a TE can do, blocking and recieving, like Pettigrew, without stretching the field? Or do you want a recieving-only TE like Coffman? The guy can't block, so teams know what he's in the game for, and they know that he either comes out in running situations - telling the defense it's a run for sure - or proves useless on running plays. The only thing defenses don't know about Coffman is how deep is the route he will be running. Coffman can go deep, you have to give that to him. But a guy who can recieve but can't block is less a TE than a WR.

It's that simple. But you already knew that, didn't you?

It's that simple.

I like Chase Coffman allot, but after losing Jason Peters, Pettigrew would probably be the wiser choice.

It doesn't matter though, we always find a way to not address the TE position properly, I'm sure this year will be no exception. :rolleyes:

Are we going to make Pettigrew a tackle?

The teams that would be in the running for someone like Pettigrew are the Eagles (#21), Falcons (#24) and possibly the Dolphins (#25). I can't imagine Philly going after Pettigrew, especially if they trade for Anquan Boldin. Even if they don't trade for Q then I believe that they'll address their DL. There is some serious rumblings going on that the Falcons are still trying to work out a trade for TE Tony Gonzalez. That would increase Buffalo's chances tremendously if this trade goes thru. I say the Dolphins but that's just because Parcels likes jumbo OL and rugged guys at the TE position but other than that I truly feel that it's really just down to the Eagles and Falcons. Now, if only if the Falcons could secure that trade for Gonzo.

I was just getting ready to post this! We get Pettigrew at #28! This is a great call, you even put in the part about Gonzo to the Falcons. That fact is what made me believe we can get him at #28.

I was just getting ready to post this! We get Pettigrew at #28! This is a great call, you even put in the part about Gonzo to the Falcons. That fact is what made me believe we can get him at #28.

Hey thanks, I appreciate that but I forgot about the Ravens. They could use Pettigrew also and Ozzie sticks to his draftboard pretty good by taking best player available. If it's not one thing it's another.

I think everyone's assuming only Philly and Atlanta need a TE. The fact is, almost any team between our picks could take the guy. He's close to a can't miss pick, it's just not something everyone will pass on. Is 11 too high? Maybe. But I'd bet $50 any day of the week he doesn't last till 28.

EDIT: Just reading this from Peter King's article today:

Now for my five things of Thursday:

1. I think there are four players teams want to trade up for: Mark Sanchez, Tyson Jackson, Michael Oher, Brandon Pettigrew.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...raft/index.html

I think everyone's assuming only Philly and Atlanta need a TE. The fact is, almost any team between our picks could take the guy. He's close to a can't miss pick, it's just not something everyone will pass on. Is 11 too high? Maybe. But I'd bet $50 any day of the week he doesn't last till 28.

i do not bet with you..... i think you will win the 50 Dollars.... its also possible the Patriots take him...they are also looking for a TE.

Look, he's a TE and teams will only draft that position just so high. In the last few years I think that this position only averaged 1 1/2 TE in the 1st rd. While Pettigrew is the best at his position this year, and I'm sure that there is several teams who have a strong interest in him, I think that he won't go before the #17 slot which is the Jets. Start there and try to figure out who would draft him. I don't believe the Jets, Buccaneers, Eagles, Falcons, Patriots and the Colts are in the mix. I know some of the teams that I mentioned are believed to be interested but I don't believe it that they will use their 1st rd pick for a TE. I think that the Broncos, Lions, Vikings, Dolphins and Ravens are viable threats and some of them more than the others. Barring someone trading up (Cardinals?) I think that the Ravens would be the most serious suitor for Pettigrew.