I have a Man-crush on Pettigrew

Maddog69

I have heard that argument over and over and it ignores one thing. Do you remember the teams we played early last season. The league's dregs. We looked OK against horrible competition. That's not a ringing endorsement.

Bell might indeed make an acceptable second-stringer this year. And by 2010 or 2011, who knows. But this year it's not happening. We absolutely need a good LT, and we don't have on right now.

Here is an article with a realistic look at the new situation at LT. It's an interview with a Scouts Inc. analyst. He's got it right. Walker is too stiff to be a good against speed rushers. Bell is inexperienced and it's just too early for him.

We need an LT in the draft. Early.

I think you can find someone, either on our team (Walker, Chambers, Bell, Scott), or in the 2nd or 3rd round, that could play LT and give up less than 11.5 sacks, while actually pushing in the running game. I don't think it needs to be at 11 only.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

ans

I think you are misunderstanding here.....

It isnt that you dont think he is good enough to be drafted at 11....it is managing the draft to still get the player you want AND have that extra pick later on to either get another player or even package to move up if you see a player you want that is dropping.

For instance....if there was a team at 12 that needed a TE? I wouldn't even be entertaining a trade down.....but I dont think that is the case this year.

Didn't you both say you wouldn't draft him at 11 though?

Ah, not the brightest bulb in the sign, are we? Maybe next year, in seventh grade, they will cover metaphors and poetic license. Come back then.

funny how you didn't actually answer my question, do YOU even know what your trying to say? all you have to do is state your opinion not reference unrelated things because you think it gives some weight to your argument.

Permit me to play devil's advocate- His production was decent but not anything to get excited about.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=158483

C YDS avg lg TD

2005 11 128 11.6 21 1 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0

2006 24 310 12.9 31 4 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0

2007 35 540 15.4 54 4 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0

2008 42 472 11.2 38 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0

What am I missing about Pettigrew?

I'll tell you what you are missing.

He missed 4 games his senior, if you would prorate the numbers he would of had 63 catches for 700 yards. I tell you what else you are missing, he played for Oklahoma state. FYI OK. state has had more yards rushing than passing in each of the last 3 years. I tell you what else you are missing, Mike Gundy Ok states coach has said it on numerous occasions that Pettigrew wasn't used as much as they would of liked on passing formations because of their dominance of the ground game.

Other than that, you didn't miss too much.

Mike Mayock thinks he has more upside than ANY Defensive player in the Draft & may become the BEST Defensive player Drafted.

If you want to draft a player with the 11th overall pick in the first round, that has produced nothing in college, because you think he has "upside"... then go right ahead.

1st round picks are supposed to be the guys you KNOW are going to be good. The projects go later. I'd never take a guy with my first round pick based on "upside" alone. I think that is outrageous.

I have heard that argument over and over and it ignores one thing. Do you remember the teams we played early last season. The league's dregs. We looked OK against horrible competition. That's not a ringing endorsement.

Bell might indeed make an acceptable second-stringer this year. And by 2010 or 2011, who knows. But this year it's not happening. We absolutely need a good LT, and we don't have on right now.

Here is an article with a realistic look at the new situation at LT. It's an interview with a Scouts Inc. analyst. He's got it right. Walker is too stiff to be a good against speed rushers. Bell is inexperienced and it's just too early for him.

We need an LT in the draft. Early.

Thurman we dont know if the 3rd or 4th best rookie tackle in this draft would be any better........

Honestly I would be much more comfortable with a veteran guy AND a TE known for his blocking skills

Permit me to play devil's advocate- His production was decent but not anything to get excited about.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=158483

C YDS avg lg TD

2005 11 128 11.6 21 1 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0

2006 24 310 12.9 31 4 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0

2007 35 540 15.4 54 4 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0

2008 42 472 11.2 38 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0

What am I missing about Pettigrew?

That he`s REALLY SLOW and Overrated. But he can block.

We have NO ONE close to filling it? Really?

Walker played better than Peters at LT last year. Chambers played better than Peters last year. The only way we wouldn't be better this year is if our new LT surrendered 12 sacks or more.

Anything will be better than Peters was last year. Walker played good there, Chambers played good at RT, and Bell seems to be highly rated by the Bills staff. There is no reason we are obligated to take an OT 11th overall.

Walker and Chambers played better than Peters last year? You remember in Cosby's "Noah" routine when the Lord talked to Noah.

Lord: It's the Lord, Noah.

Noah: Right.

Lord: I want you to build an ark.

Noah: Right. What's an ark.

Lord: When you get that done, go out into the world, collect all the animals in the world by twos, male and female, and put them into the ark.

Noah: Right. Who is this really?

That's the kind of "RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT" that that statement deserves.

You: "Walker played better than Peters at LT last year. Chambers played better than Peters last year."

Me: long pause. RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!

Didn't you both say you wouldn't draft him at 11 though?

but not because I dont think he isn't worth it......but because we could still have him AND more if we played the draft correctly.......

Imagine you trade down a few spots and pick up an additional 3rd....then there is some talent that for whatever reason is dropping either in the 2nd or 3rd......you could package and move up to get that guy or even stand pat and use the pick you got from the trade down

It isn't about not liking him at 11.....I do.

Walker and Chambers played better than Peters last year? You remember in Cosby's "Noah" routine when the Lord talked to Noah.

Lord: When you get that done, go out into the world, collect all the animals in the world by twos, male and female, and put them into the ark.

You: "Walker played better than Peters at LT last year. Chambers played better than Peters last year."

again with the long drawn out examples that don't strengthen your argument and make you look like an idiot!

1.) In the words of Lawrence Taylor, "Don't.... Smoke..... Crack!" It isn't very good for you, despite how good it obviously makes you feel.

2.) When you come down from cloud nine, can you explain how Walker didn't play better than Peters and his 11.5 sacks allowed last year?

Thurman we dont know if the 3rd or 4th best rookie tackle in this draft would be any better........

Honestly I would be much more comfortable with a veteran guy AND a TE known for his blocking skills

You're right, there's no way to know about any of this. Mr. Irrelevant might turn out to be a better player than the first draft choice. But that's not the way to bet.

If you get somebody higher in the draft, the odds are much better that they will succeed. And LT is an absolute crying need. It just became the number one need on this team, with no close #2. If you want Trent to have a chance to stay healthy, never mind succeed and become an NFL standard QB, you absolutely must have a good LT. Right now, we don't.

Our #1 need used to be either OLB or DE, whichever would increase our pass rush the most. Now, it's LT.

Hey, I'd love a veteran guy, too, but there's no good veteran LT on the market right now. We're stuck with the need to improve at LT through the draft.

Noah: Right. Who is this really?You didn`t watch the games last year or you are really,really _ _ _ _ . Quit talking now kid , because you are really showing your knowledge of the game.

1.) In the words of Lawrence Taylor, "Don't.... Smoke..... Crack!" It isn't very good for you, despite how good it obviously makes you feel.

2.) When you come down from cloud nine, can you explain how Walker didn't play better than Peters and his 11.5 sacks allowed last year?

You are the one who's smoking crack if you believe that 11.5 number. The website that came up with that number had no idea who was supposed to be blocking who on what plays, counted the plays where the QB held onto the ball for more than 4 seconds before the sack against the LT and otherwise made their figures about half a step up from throwing a dart at a board. It had no validity.

On a recent thread, a poster, wish it was me, but it wasn't, put up footage of every sack with discussion. It was very clear that about 5 sacks were Peters's fault, and that most of those were early in the season. That 11.5 was nonsense. So, yeah, I can explain it, as can any observer with a half a lick of sense. What defenses did we play when Walker was LT again? Oh, yeah, some of the worst in the league.

If you want to compare numbers, compare Peters's numbers the last time he actually went to camp. One year and one-half of one sack. Philly is going to get Peters into camp.

And that is how we just got much much worse.

Right on. Walker was CONSISTENTLY better than Peters overall last year.

Mike Mayock thinks he has more upside than ANY Defensive player in the Draft & may become the BEST Defensive player Drafted.

And Mike Mayock was just deified by the pope. Turned out he has never been wrong. Mayock is good, but not perfect. And Mayock is probably assuming that he will be drafted by a team which has a defense which he would fit. Our defense primarily needs sacks from the front four. That's the reason we're even talking about DE, because we need one who gets us a lot of sacks. Ayers is excellent against the run but only decent at rushing the passer.