Peters reaches terms

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This offseason is shaping up to be reminiscent of 2007 personnel-wise. That year, the Bills traded McGahee and Spikes while letting Clements and Fletcher go in UFA. They signed Dockery and Walker as opposed to drafting OL and perhaps waiting. Lynch and Posluszny needed to be immediate starters, and Edwards had to play when JPL got hurt. After the season, people began talking playoffs in 08.

Now we're back at the same point: making wholesale changes and hoping rookies will play at a decent level. We've been down this road, and banking on rookies isn't a good plan when you consider the team knows it must make the playoffs.

Then again, maybe it's never been about making the playoffs.

I get the feeling that the marketing strategy, tied in with personnel with Russ, is about changing things every so often to provide a "new and improved" product. People always love something new, even if a previous version was better. Thing is, they won't know it until the "new and improved" version has run its course.

This offseason is shaping up to be reminiscent of 2007 personnel-wise. That year, the Bills traded McGahee and Spikes while letting Clements and Fletcher go in UFA. They signed Dockery and Walker as opposed to drafting OL and perhaps waiting. Lynch and Posluszny needed to be immediate starters, and Edwards had to play when JPL got hurt. After the season, people began talking playoffs in 08.

Now we're back at the same point: making wholesale changes and hoping rookies will play at a decent level. We've been down this road, and banking on rookies isn't a good plan when you consider the team knows it must make the playoffs.

Then again, maybe it's never been about making the playoffs.

I get the feeling that the marketing strategy, tied in with personnel with Russ, is about changing things every so often to provide a "new and improved" product. People always love something new, even if a previous version was better. Thing is, they won't know it until the "new and improved" version has run its course.

you need to understand history to understand the present and future

go and google the history of the Florida Marlins to find the roadmap for the Bills under Russ Brandon

While with the Marlins, Brandon learned from the masters at keeping the payroll at a minimum while getting rid of all players good enough to deserve good pay.

The Marlins did win 2 World Series using this approach - but they had Larry Beinfest to find the young talent to stock the shelves and good to great coaching to turn that talent into a winner

Unfortunately, the big differences in Buffalo are

1. Modrak and Guy are incapable of finding quality talent

2. the GM in Buffalo has been taken to the cleaners on trades

3. the coaching is less than laughable.

now you know the game plan -so don;t be surprised by the Parrish & Kelsey salary dumps to follow the exodus of Peters

go and google the history of the Florida Marlins to find the roadmap for the Bills under Russ Brandon

While with the Marlins, Brandon learned from the masters at keeping the payroll at a minimum while getting rid of all players good enough to deserve good pay.

The Marlins did win 2 World Series using this approach - but they had Larry Beinfest to find the young talent to stock the shelves and good to great coaching to turn that talent into a winner

... and Brandon has taken up some of this post-Levy as well.
... and Brandon, with Ralph and Overdorf, has a major role in the hydra-GMship of the current Bills.

now you know the game plan -so don;t be surprised by the Parrish & Kelsey salary dumps to follow the exodus of Peters

Well, it's all about the QB anyway. :devil:

Some here are acting the way someone acts after a breakup...completely trashing their ex, accusing them of disloyalty, etc. To them I say "grow the fuc# up!" I just wish people thought a little more about what they are saying before they post...it would make for a better read, IMO.

You know what, you got a lot of nerve for saying this. THE GUY SIGNED A CONTRACT! He gave his word when he did that. Where is the honor? I never signed a contract but I don't need to. When I give someone my word I keep it. No ifs, ands or buts about it. I'm not a fan because I'm compensated, I'm a fan because this team means something to me. I'm not a fan of this team because of the good times and I don't run away when decisions are made that I don't agree with.

I'm not bitter because he wanted more money or was unhappy. I have anger when he drew a line in the sand and was unwavering about the terms. He was unrelenting when he wanted to change the terms that he agreed to! He didn't give a sh-- about you, me, this franchise or this community that was behind him not once but twice!

The Bills were the ones who employed him when nobody else did. It was the Bills who re-signed him when nobody else did. It was the Bills who converted him to another position and developed him, and paid him millions of dollars while they did it. Most importantly it was us, the fans, who gave him the most important reward, our hearts. It was thousands of blue collar people who break their @$$ in supporting him and others on this team with loyalty, dedication and commitment. We the fans asked nothing of him but to be one of us and maybe give back just a fraction of what we gave him.

"Grow the fuc# up!" ??!!! You got some balls for saying that! I'd tell you that maybe you should get your priorities straight but it doesn't appear that you have any. I didn't have to "think" about this before I posted it or to make "a better read", I'm posting it because I'm a Bills' fan and it's coming straight from the heart. Maybe you should take some of your own advice.

Florida spent heavily in 97 on UFA's like Kevin Brown, Gary Sheffield, Al Leiter, and others to get a winner. After the title, they dismantled the entire bunch, but not before Russell came north to work for the Bills.

Russ wasn't on board when the exodus began of Florida's purchased talent. He's been able to sell tickets like no other, and I think it's for this reason that he's well-regarded in RW's eyes. Well, at least in putting a face on the team as opposed to a 90 year old man who is a PR nightmare. RB also can't fire coaches.

The only way for most fans to see through the smokescreen going on is for Buffalo to fail during the season, which I think they will. I don't hope they do, but a 10th season without the playoffs will make even the diehards think twice about their support of this team. And maybe that's the plan.