OK...here goes

- Is it everything that I wanted? No I wanted the earlier of the 1st round picks and a 3rd. But did everybody stop and think that this was the BEST the bills could get and they knew they weren't going to be able to sign Peters? What do you do? You take the best deal you can get and obviously this was it.

- There is something that has been bothering me about Peters for some time now. Peters knew that he was getting set for a big payday last year and yet he didn't do what needed to be done to have a great year....as a matter of fact he had the WORST year of any starting LT in the league. This just screams "warning" at me. A motivated player would want to dominate and ensure that paycheck. Peters REGRESSED. SOOOO what will people be saying if Peters either a. Goes out and bombs with the Eagles this year or b. Cant stay healthy like he has been unable to do the past two years? Will having an extra first round pick look more worth it then?

- The bills will probably go LT with that 11 pick.....but I actually dont think I need to. I am a big D. Bell fan. The kid has very athletic feet and a whole offseason conditioning program.

- Now that the bills know they wont be paying huge LT money......will they step up and bring in a couple more veteran free agent guys?

- I wanted closure....I got it.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

- Now that the bills know they wont be paying huge LT money......will they step up and bring in a couple more veteran free agent guys?

I'm desperately hoping this is the case. I'm waiting for the Bills to make a comment (probably cant until Peters passes a physical) and hopefully they'll talk about bringing in some vet O-Lineman to help out.

If not, and we are trusting it all to rookies...ugh. I'd like to see us bring in Runyan, sign him to a two year deal. At the very least, he gives us some leadership and can coach the rookies we bring in.

I agree, this is the best they could get and it's not a BAD deal. It's an okay deal. A good negotiation is one which leaves both parties little bit disappointed, and it seems like that's what this is.

Although, I'm not sure we take an LT at 11...I still see us trading to the teens or going DE at 11. Regardless, I know nothing and this will be an interesting draft day!

- There is something that has been bothering me about Peters for some time now. Peters knew that he was getting set for a big payday last year and yet he didn't do what needed to be done to have a great year....as a matter of fact he had the WORST year of any starting LT in the league.

But he was in the Pro Bowl (well not actually he was too injured to play but not so injured to be in training room during end of season) so he had to be the best player in the league for those 13 games he played in. Right?

I agree, this is the best they could get and it's not a BAD deal. It's an okay deal. A good negotiation is one which leaves both parties little bit disappointed, and it seems like that's what this is.

Although, I'm not sure we take an LT at 11...I still see us trading to the teens or going DE at 11. Regardless, I know nothing and this will be an interesting draft day!

agreed. I say good riddance....I don't think Peters would play to his full potential if we paid him whatever the hell it is he wanted. I hope Russ Brandon kicked him in his fat ass out the door.

- Is it everything that I wanted? No I wanted the earlier of the 1st round picks and a 3rd. But did everybody stop and think that this was the BEST the bills could get and they knew they weren't going to be able to sign Peters? What do you do? You take the best deal you can get and obviously this was it.

- There is something that has been bothering me about Peters for some time now. Peters knew that he was getting set for a big payday last year and yet he didn't do what needed to be done to have a great year....as a matter of fact he had the WORST year of any starting LT in the league. This just screams "warning" at me. A motivated player would want to dominate and ensure that paycheck. Peters REGRESSED. SOOOO what will people be saying if Peters either a. Goes out and bombs with the Eagles this year or b. Cant stay healthy like he has been unable to do the past two years? Will having an extra first round pick look more worth it then?

- The bills will probably go LT with that 11 pick.....but I actually dont think I need to. I am a big D. Bell fan. The kid has very athletic feet and a whole offseason conditioning program.

I coudlnt agree with you more. Was just having the exact converstion with a fellow Bills fan that if he wanted to get paid as a dominant LT he would have stayed in shape and came out and dominated putting an exclamation on his demand for more money. Yes he was voted to the Prow bowl this year but all the experts felt there was at least 4 guys better than him LAST SEASON.

My fear was that we would pay his amount then watch a MIKE WILLIAMS fiasco develope. This way we get three players over the next two years for him and hopefully some quailty ones at that. But for me we are getting 3 picks for an undrafted FA we are still on the winning side of this despite what others might think!

I agree - now we can move on - it's not like Peters was any good last year. I thought for sure he'd come in and just kick ass, but he was terrible -- 11.5 sacks in 13 games - that's miserable! Just think of the low bar set for his replacement(s) -- if they give up 14 or fewer sacks in 16 games they're BETTER than Peters was last year. Maybe he'll get it together for Philly - maybe not but he wasn't doing it with Buffalo.

Good post John. I am thinking the same way. We don't have to take a rookie LT or even RT with pick 1. The coaches are as happy about Bell as they were about Peters. His feet are as good, and his brain is better.

I had a similar response in another post. I want to think they had an alternative in mind when the pulled the trigger.

Good post except for the Bell comment, let the player do something beyond the practice squad before we pencil him in as a starter-potential sure but nothings proven-meaning he didnt even play that great in college

I'm somewhat lukewarm. On one hand, when peters plays up to his potenetial he can be flat out dominant. If you can lock up a dominant LT for the prime of his career, it is definitely worth it to pay him, no question about it. However, the Ross Tucker article talking about how some guys stop working as hard once they get a ton of guaranteed money comes to mind (the one where he talks about Mike Williams without naming him.) The way peters had been acting lately, I don't know if I fully trust that he stays hungry after he gets his big pay day, and say at best case it is a risk. It's crazy how in a matter of a couple years the general perception of peters went from the underdog undrafted FA who worked his butt off, did all the right things and made himself into an all pro LT to a spoiled selfish me first baby. The reality is somewhere in between, and I can see the merits of both the argument to pay him and the argument to trade him. However, there's no question that giving him a huge contract would've been a very significant risk given the way he acted and played last year. Here's to hoping that the 28 pick ends up being a future hall of famer and we can all laugh about this in a couple years.

By the way.....now that he is no longer OUR player and not a bill

I have never seen such a fat, lazy, piece of @hit on a professional team in my entire life.

- An UNDRAFTED player that the bills took a chance on and cultivated his talent. Do you know how many talented players never make it in the NFL just because they dont have the "high draft pick" pedigree? There is a HUGE list of names. Those guys would give their left nut to be a pro franchises starting player at a position.

- But NOOOOOO JP not only had his contract reworked some time ago but as soon as he found out he might be good started crying about a contract which accumulated in him screwing the team last year by not showing up to camp. Then allowed the whole thing to be a distraction when he SHOULD have been a leader on this team.

I thank the Eagles for taking JP off of our hands.......

Peters had an off year this year. I question whether he will ever be the pro bowler he was a few years ago. I think we should have gotten more in the trade, and I question trading him because of our lack of good linemen on the O-Line, but in the long haul we are probably going to come out ahead in this deal.

he was dominating on many plays, but the oline is not the dline. consistency and crafty play beats awesome performances with fck ups inbetween.

i remember the sack where joey porter just whipped jason peters and got trent in a blink of an eye for a safety in miami. wtf was that sht? his ball washers were saying it was because he was out of shape, like that's a good thing for a pro athlete who wants mega bucks?

By the way.....now that he is no longer OUR player and not a bill

I have never seen such a fat, lazy, piece of @hit on a professional team in my entire life.

- An UNDRAFTED player that the bills took a chance on and cultivated his talent. Do you know how many talented players never make it in the NFL just because they dont have the "high draft pick" pedigree? There is a HUGE list of names. Those guys would give their left nut to be a pro franchises starting player at a position.

- But NOOOOOO JP not only had his contract reworked some time ago but as soon as he found out he might be good started crying about a contract which accumulated in him screwing the team last year by not showing up to camp. Then allowed the whole thing to be a distraction when he SHOULD have been a leader on this team.

I thank the Eagles for taking JP off of our hands.......

I couldn't agree more. Jason Peters is the definition of "Selfish" and "Ego-maniac" Thank you Philadelphia, you deal with him. I live in the area and I can't wait for the Philly fans to eat him alive.