Jests complain about schedule for religious reasons

Beerball

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I comprehend the situation just fine, thanks, and I still don't agree with you. Jewish people (not "Jews," by the way) in New York City are no more or less important than Jewish people anywhere else. Your very special city can deal with it this year, and next year it will be someone else's turn. It isn't fair to Jewish people in other cities if they get stuck with games on High Holidays because New York refuses them. Repeating the number of Jewish people in New York won't make it fair, either.

It's actually Jews or Jewish people, either are acceptable.

I never said they were more important, I clearly said that the religion is very influential here. I've done event planning in marketing and non-profit for 8 years, and you learn early on in NYC you don't schedule events on Jewish holidays due to (I'll say it again) the more than 2 million Jews in NYC including the largest contingency of Orthodox Jews in the country. As Bills Daily said, this city is basically Israel North America.

Again, I'm not saying that the games should be rescheduled, I just understand the criticism the Jets are getting from their fans.

I'm not Jewish , but I don't see why changing the start time of a game a few hours would be that big a deal. They aren't asking for different game days . They already flex games for the sake of the almighty dollar why not for the "Almighty"?

Nuff said!!!

Enjoy the holidays watching football like the rest of the nation.

<_<

Read the thread -- or better yet, do a little research on the religion -- and you'll learn why that's not an option.

I'm not Jewish , but I don't see why changing the start time of a game a few hours would be that big a deal. They aren't asking for different game days . They already flex games for the sake of the almighty dollar why not for the "Almighty"?

Nuff said!!!

That looks like the most reasonable solution for the one 4:05 game -- that early in the season, a 1:00 start should give most people a chance to get home before sundown. (The ones with longer commutes would still be hosed, though.) The only problem there lies with the rules about the Giants and Jets playing at the same time. Either let that go just this once, or flip the Giants' road game into the 4:00 slot.

The other one, there's no getting around.

If the NFL is to follow the Jewish calendar, than the Jets need to reschedule the following games:

September 20th: Rosh Hashanah, when Jews are not permitted to drive or watch TV

September 27th: Yom Kippur, when Jews are not permitted to drive or watch TV.

October 4th: Succos, when Jews are not permitted to drive or watch TV.

The Giants will need to reschedule these games:

September 20th: Rosh Hashanah, when Jews are not permitted to drive or watch TV

September 27th: Yom Kippur, when Jews are not permitted to drive or watch TV.

October 4th: Succos, when Jews are not permitted to drive or watch TV.

October 11th: Simchas Torah, when Jews are not permitted to drive or watch TV

Also, it should be noted that neither the Jets nor the Giants are permitted by Jewish law to have games on Saturday due to Shabbos, so in the playoffs they will only be permitted the Sunday time slots.

Now, let's also make sure that the Yankees, Mets, Rangers, Devils, Islanders, Knicks and Nets are not scheduling any games in conflict with the Jewish calendar out of religious respect.

Seriously, I am Jewish, observe all the holidays, miss games when I'm not permitted to attend or watch, and have somehow managed to live through it without being offended. I hate to see these issues publicized because it only makes Jews look demanding, and then fans the flames of Judeophobia. Schedule the games where they may fall and Jewish people will work around it just fine. We know how to use DVR's, we understand Tivo, we are capable of selling our tickets to others who can use them, and don't need the unwanted attention that comes with making a stink for sports to follow our rules and laws.

Now, let's also make sure that the Yankees, Mets, Rangers, Devils, Islanders, Knicks and Nets are not scheduling any games in conflict with the Jewish calendar out of religious respect.

Seriously, I am Jewish, observe all the holidays, miss games when I'm not permitted to attend or watch, and have somehow managed to live through it without being offended. I hate to see these issues publicized because it only makes Jews look demanding, and then fans the flames of Judeophobia. Schedule the games where they may fall and Jewish people will work around it just fine. We know how to use DVR's, we understand Tivo, we are capable of selling our tickets to others who can use them, and don't need the unwanted attention that comes with making a stink for sports to follow our rules and laws.

Exactly...I am certainly not viewing Jews as demanding or have any amount of "Judeophobia"...this whole "issue" is just silly...Thank you for your insightful reply! <_<

Agreed, ~NG~. Endzone, that's the post of the thread.

Now if you want to discuss "Jetsfanophobia," on the other hand ... let's just say I'm not disappointed that they're the ones headed to Toronto this year.

100% agree with you, that's what my friends here will be doing. I just get why the Jets have an issue on their hands because obviously enough fans are unhappy about the schedule, and we're talking about a simple 3 hour change and this would have been a non issue.

Updated, per Tim Graham's blog: http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-7-86/...ewish-fans.html

The NFL has switched the kickoff of the Sept. 27 game between the Tennessee Titans and New York Jets at the Meadowlands to 1 p.m. ET.

The game originally was scheduled to start at 4:15 p.m. ET, but Jewish fans took umbrage with the decision because Yom Kippur, the Jewish day of atonement, begins at sundown.

"By changing the time of the Tennessee game from 4:15 p.m. to 1 p.m., the NFL has provided the best compromise to resolve our scheduling conflict," Jets owner Woody Johnson said in a statement. "I want to thank commissioner [Roger] Goodell and [NFL schedule-maker] Howard Katz for quickly responding to our request to accommodate our fans of Jewish faith."

A sensible decision.

Sure is. The NFL changes game times, for less important reasons. I assume the other game will remain where it is.

Other than changing the date, there's no way around that one, and they apparently can't do that because of construction/parking issues at the Meadowswamp.

Other than changing the date, there's no way around that one, and they apparently can't do that because of construction/parking issues at the Meadowswamp.

I also think that would be a bit of an overreaction, and might send the wrong message, to some.

New York Jests need be more proactive next year with their requests scheduling construction or something else to prevent this from occurring.

Maybe some group will hold a protest outside the stadium exits preventing drivers from getting out. :thumbsup:

Someone did something similar in DC area clogging exit traffic for hours!