Everette Brown

Rockinon

In Pro Football Weekly today:

DE Everette Brown, Florida State (Jr.)

Questions still remain among the NFL scouting community about whether Brown is an elite talent. Some believe he is too stiff to be projected to rush linebacker and could not be more than an open-side end in the NFL, where his stock could be adversely affected because many fronts do not feature the position. However, much like Wimbley, no one is questioning his character, as Brown receives high marks for his work ethic, maturity and citizenship. His intelligence and approach in the classroom were given such high marks that he is viewed as being more intelligent than football-smart. Brown goes the extra mile to make a difference and can be expected to be a pillar of the community for the team that drafts him. Hailing from an unruly program known for its share of run-ins with the law, Brown stands out for his exceptionally strong character, warranting several votes for having the most rare character in this draft class.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Questions still remain among the NFL scouting community about whether Brown is an elite talent. Some believe he is too stiff to be projected to rush linebacker and could not be more than an open-side end in the NFL, where his stock could be adversely affected because many fronts do not feature the position. However, much like Wimbley, no one is questioning his character, as Brown receives high marks for his work ethic, maturity and citizenship. His intelligence and approach in the classroom were given such high marks that he is viewed as being more intelligent than football-smart. Brown goes the extra mile to make a difference and can be expected to be a pillar of the community for the team that drafts him. Hailing from an unruly program known for its share of run-ins with the law, Brown stands out for his exceptionally strong character, warranting several votes for having the most rare character in this draft class.

HEY RAMIUS AND MAGOX, HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM APPLES?

Just to refresh your memories.

"wrote this before about FSU DE's, they have zero responibilities, they line up at 9-11 technique over the most open man and and get upfield. "

Too Stiff??? This is not written by someone who knows what they are talking about. He has about the best moves I've seen by a DE in a while. He may have some flaws, but stiff is not one of them.

"wrote this before about FSU DE's, they have zero responibilities, they line up at 9-11 technique over the most open man and and get upfield. "

<_<

That review made you feel good didn't it?

Now you feel vindicated. Problem is, that you jumped the gun. haha

now you look foolish shanahan

Let's review what it said shall we:

Some believe he is too stiff to be projected to rush linebacker and could not be more than an open-side end in the NFL, where his stock could be adversely affected because many fronts do not feature the position.

Last I remember, we weren't planning on using a 3-4 rush LB sort of defense. They are referring to the 3-4 you knew that right? Hmmmm

Open-side end. Let's see here. hmmm I guess you forgot that is what we are looking for An open-side end hahahahaha

woops

jumped the gun

HOW DO YOU LIKE DEM APPLES? :devil:

I posted the article and don't see how it any way reflects poorly on the role Brown would play with the 4-3 front Bills.

I'm a big fan of Everette Brown and believe he is the most complete pass rusher in this draft.

The comments about his excellent character are a bonus at a time when I think the Bills might not pay so much lip service to character...... considering recent events.

I posted the article and don't see how it any way reflects poorly on the role Brown would play with the 4-3 front Bills.

I'm a big fan of Everette Brown and believe he is the most complete pass rusher in this draft.

The comments about his excellent character are a bonus at a time when I think the Bills might not pay so much lip service to character...... considering recent events.

Thats because it doesn't reflect poorly on Brown in a 4-3 front like the Bills play. Shanahan was so quick to jump the gun to try to prove his point, that he didn't thoroughly comprehend what he read.

Thats because it doesn't reflect poorly on Brown in a 4-3 front like the Bills play. Shanahan was so quick to jump the gun to try to prove his point, that he didn't thoroughly comprehend what he read.

Why don't you read what I quoted and the context of the quote.

Another word for an open sided end is one dimensional.

Another quote taken out of context by you Maggy. I would have thought you would have been a little better at reading seeing that you post 17 times a day.

As I live down here, and both of my nieces did time at FSU, I was forced to watch many Seminole games the past few years. I'm no fan of FSU guys either, as a rule, but I can't see how Brown = Flowers. Doesn't seem like him at all, from what I can see.

I'm not campaigning for Brown, but from what I have seen, he's a decent baller.

Strong Character, Sign him up!!

Why don't you read what I quoted and the context of the quote.

Another word for an open sided end is one dimensional.

Another quote taken out of context by you Maggy. I would have thought you would have been a little better at reading seeing that you post 17 times a day.

wrong again. open side end means 4-3 DE that plays opposite side of the TE. shannon, just quit while you're way behind ok?

From another thread:

After hearing this on NFL network "path to the draft", I'd think his stock is falling fast.

#4)Everette Brown JR 6'4'' 250-On path to the draft Carlie Casserly called Evertte Brown a one trick pony and wouldn't even take the guy, doesn't play well against the run, doesn't shed well. Wouldn't project the guy as an OLB,as he is to stiff.Also, he played in a rotation at FSU and only played two out of every three series, and a one year starter

Charles Davis says he can be a DE and rush the passer "if" he gets the proper coaching.

From another thread:

After hearing this on NFL network "path to the draft", I'd think his stock is falling fast.

#4)Everette Brown JR 6'4'' 250-On path to the draft Carlie Casserly called Evertte Brown a one trick pony and wouldn't even take the guy, doesn't play well against the run, doesn't shed well. Wouldn't project the guy as an OLB,as he is to stiff.Also, he played in a rotation at FSU and only played two out of every three series, and a one year starter

Charles Davis says he can be a DE and rush the passer "if" he gets the proper coaching.

It's hard to take that serious considering they state that he is a one year starter. I would say that he didn't do his homework. If he didn't even know that he started more than 1 year, then I find it hard to believe that he can really come to that conclusion or any conclusion for that matter. You would think they would get that right before they would say anything.

Let me give you the correct data on that.

The two-year starter emerged as one of the elite pass rushers in the collegiate ranks as a junior. With National Football League teams putting much more emphasis on speedy edge rushers, Brown felt it was the right time to forgo his senior season and applied for the 2009 NFL Draft. With his athletic ability and quickness off the snap, the only question NFL teams have about Brown is where to play him.

In 25 starting assignments, the right defensive end registered 23 sacks, tying for fifth on the school career record list. Most of those totals came during his 2008 campaign, as his 13.5 sacks and 21.5 stops for loss both rank third on the school single-season record list.

Brown started eight games at left defensive end and one more on the right side in 2006. He led the Seminoles with 6.5 sacks and placed second on the squad with 11.5 tackles behind the line of scrimmage. He also made 37 tackles (24 solos) while deflecting three passes.

In 2008, Brown was stationed at right defensive end, where he led the Atlantic Coast Conference and finished third in the nation with 13.5 sacks, tying for third on the school single-season record list. The All-American second-team pick and ACC Player of the Year runner-up was also a finalist for the Ted Hendricks Award, given to the nation's premier defensive end. His 21.5 stops for loss ranked fourth nationally and also ranked third on FSU's annual record chart. He caused four fumbles and totaled 36 hits (30 solos) in 13 starts.

Here's another view of Brown

Body Structure: Brown has a well-built, muscular frame with a tight waist and hips, long arms, thick thighs and room on his frame for additional growth, if he is to stay at defensive end.

Athletic Ability: Brown has the sudden burst and straight-line speed to be an impact edge rusher at the next level, but seems to have hip stiffness, looking sluggish when having to change direction and work down the line (see 20-yard shuttle/three cone times), which could make a move to linebacker difficult, as he will need to drop back in pass coverage often and does not seem to have the ability to do so. He runs easily into the backfield and is quick to accelerate when he sees a chance to get to the quarterback. He is an explosive athlete who has all tools you look for in an edge rusher (excellent speed, sudden burst). He generates an explosive first step and is very active using his hands to defeat the bigger blockers with good cross over action. He lacks fluid hip flexibility and movement coming off the snap, but has good strength and knee bend. He does tend to get a bit high in his stance when on the move. He is effective extending his long arms to keep blockers off his chest. GRADE: 7.5

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/558835

Here's another view:

From Scott Wright from nfldraftcountdown.com

Excellent athleticism...Great speed and quickness...Explosive with a burst...Possesses a terrific first step...Agile with good change of direction and balance...

Has big hands and uses them well...Has a varied repertoire of pass rush moves...Can be effective off the edge or inside...Good strength...

Has a great motor...Does a nice job in pursuit and closes in a hurry...Offers some positional versatility...Strong work ethic...A team leader...

Very productive...Still has considerable upside.

Here's another view:

http://www.tomahawknation.com/2009/1/8/713...iew-everette-br

Explosion: Brown has incredible burst off the edge

Balance: nobody in the college game stays lower throughout their stance on the way to the QB. He has an uncanny knack for ducking under long-armed tackles. (Think Dwight Freeney)

Pure Speed (watch the Maryland clips in the highlight video)

Work Ethic. The FSU coaches constantly praise this guy for his constant motor and work ethic.

Durability. Brown has never missed a game due to injury.

Dedication. Playing on the health idea, Brown takes excellent care of his body.

Not a pure speed guy. Brown has a great variety of moves and is surprisingly advanced for an early-entry pass rusher.

Funny how this view of him says he is able to defeat bigger blockers with his active long arms, which sort of contradicts Casserly's view.

You make it seem like Charles Davis was skeptical of Brown where in reality he was adamant that he is a top notch prospect.

Opinions opinions, they are sort of like azzholes, every one's got one.

Sidbury shot up the draft boards because of his combine. I believe he was the fastest Lineman that attended, and he ran the 40 in 4.57. So he's athletic.

Regarding Oher, I think coaches like him because he has been playing at a consistant high level. He was All American last season, and has a huge frame. He's more of a road grader than anything else. I think he's gonna be solid.

Unlike Bandit, I don't think Orapko or Raji will be there at #11. High Quality DE's and DT's are always at a premium, and these two are the highest or one of the highest this year has to offer.

Barwin is intriguing in my view. He showed a lot of promise for having 1 year as a DE considering his production, couple that with his athleticism, I think this guy has tremendous upside. If his work ethic can match his athleticism, I think this could be a project that can pay off in a big way. Tough to say how he will be used, my guess is that he will be picked up as a 3-4 rushing LB.

Magox pretty much summed a lot of it up...

Sidbury's case is the whole thing about workouts confirming what you see on tape. you see his burst off the line and closing speed in game play, then you confirm it with his workout numbers.

Oher has unbelievable potential, and with good coaching could be a top 5 tackle in the league, so he's probably worth a top 10 pick.

In the event that Oher, Raji, and Orakpo were available, I think Buffalo would go with Oher, and I'd be thrilled with that assuming Peters is out. Between theh other two, I think the Bills take Orakpo, but I'd prefer Raji, I just think he's a better overall player and is more consistent.

Beatty is attractive because he's a good pass protector, but he doesn't really jump out at you as a run blocker. That's kind of why I think that, if a team gets desperate for a LT at the end of round 1, they might take a chance on him. I personally think that'd be too high, but I thought the same thing about Duane Brown last year and he was great for Houston.

Whether or not Barwin's a reach is, in my opinion, an issue of what team selects him. If it's a team that knows how to use a guy in situations that accentuate is abilities (Pittsburgh, NYG, New England, etc.), he'll be effective early on. Anybody else that takes a chance on him may have to wait a year or two to see some real impact from him, since I think he'll make the full-time move to defense.

Just my 1 cent.

Hell, Chris Kelsay is a DE who has great character. Too bad it doesn't mean jack on the field where he is useless and grossly overpaid.

Hell, Chris Kelsay is a DE who has great character. Too bad it doesn't mean jack on the field where he is useless and grossly overpaid.

There is at least one difference though.

Kelsay had 13 sacks in 4 years (43 games), where Brown had 23 in 2 years. Oh and Kelsay made 2nd team All Big 12 where as Brown was All-American second-team pick and ACC Player of the Year runner-up was also a finalist for the Ted Hendricks Award, given to the nation's premier defensive end.

I would say there is a slight difference. The only things these two have in common is they are both "high character" guys, but that's as far as that goes.

Schoebel has been injured. He may bounce back with 8-10 sacks this year. With Brown and a healthy Schoebel.....our Defense would make Brady wet his pants.

Schobel is in his 30's been banged up for the better part of two years. I hope you are right, but I am betting on 3-5. Also outside of Stroud the front seven is terrible. I do like Mitchell and have hope for Poz, but in reality it wouldnt take an all pro to upgrade those positions. Kyle Williams and Ryan Denney would be descent players to rotate in and out of a rotation but niether should be starters. This teams front seven could be the worst front seven I have seen the Bills use since I started watching them in 1980. Back in the 2-14 years we atleast had Smerlas, and Ben Williams up front. I have very little optimism for this unti, but I hope I am wrong.