OT- 1 in 10 18-22 year olds

theesir

Guest Guest_Coach_Tuesday
I'll respectfully disagree with your assessment of this generation.  While I certainly agree that there is perhaps 20% of this generation that falls into your assessment, more than half of them are totally clueless... other than presidential candidates, they couldn't tell you who Tom Daschle, Ted Kennedy, Rick Santorum, or John McCain is.  Ask them to show you where Iowa is on a US map, or ask them to show you whre Iraq is on a globe... no way. This generation is more interested in getting the correct tatoo, piercings, MTV, what designer clothes to get, what car or things makes me look better than everyone else... or at least as good, and taping the next episode of road rules than anything else.  And the thing that toasts me even more is that it's my generation of people that produced and parented most of them.

98995[/snapback]

I see. So you have no problem selling them stuff, sending them off to fight, or taxing the hell out of them to pay for your retirement - but they're too "clueless" to partake in the democratic process. I for one know busloads of young people who are activists, who traveled to Ohio to help oversee elections, who help registered new voters, etc. I know people who work for MTV's "Rock the Vote" campaign. I also know a ton of young people who are disillusioned with politics, and for good reason. They were ready to vote for Howard Dean, who WENT OUT OF THE WAY TO COURT THEIR VOTES, but the Dems decided to nominate someone else.

Also, ironically, their knowledge of "instant messaging" and video games is gonna pay for your generation to retire. Count on that. The economy is becoming "e-centric," and it's our young people who have the advantage in that area.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest I voted for the lesser of 2 evils in Bush.  My main concern are my taxes , if I were to lose the tax breaks I received last year I could not afford to feed my kids!!

Although Kerry claimed all the tax breaks were for the wealthy he was wrong. I am by no means wealthy and Bush's tax cuts helped me survive.

In another note my NC state taxes are higher than they ever were in NY..Whats that tell you..Edwards..

98954[/snapback]

well said, there is a tremendous difference between the dems definition of wealthy and mine. Also, your point on NC taxes is dead on. Prior to Pataki's ill advised tax increase in '03, NC taxes were higher than NY, now they are about the same. NY's property taxes are still much higher, of course. But the point is, Bush put money in all of our pockets, whether they want to admit it or not.

As for the thread topic, that is a pathetic result if the stats are accurate. No vote, no right to complain IMO.

while some of you are bashing children...

my eight year old daughter sat and watch about a half an hour of the coverage with me last night.

She had a vote at school yesterday and 2 out of the 18 kids in her class voted for Kerry.

She was one of them. She told me that people were making fun of her because she voted for Kerry and that she was a traitor and she didn't know what she was talking about.

I asked her what she said in response and she replied "I didn't bother daddy because they were just following the crowd."

My wife and I often have discussions about politics around the house and it obviously caught up with my daughter how important this election was in our eyes. She asked me twice yesterday what year she would be able to vote.

So from my experience, if bring it around your children they will tend to see the importance of it. If you don't talk to them or around them they will only see the world through the eyes of the TV.

99041[/snapback]

My six year old was also very interested and also asked how many elections until he is allowed to vote. I tried hard not to tell him which candidate was better, but have really tried to impress upon him how important it is to get as much information as possible and make up your own mind. (Not follow the crowd)

My six year old was also very interested and also asked how many elections until he is allowed to vote. I tried hard not to tell him which candidate was better, but have really tried to impress upon him how important it is to get as much information as possible and make up your own mind. (Not follow the crowd)

----------------

Yes. You've gotta preach making up your own mind.

I grew up in a split household. Dem & Rep.

In 1996 I voted for Clinton, 2000 for Bush, 2004 for Kerry.

So from my experience, if bring it around your children they will tend to see the importance of it. If you don't talk to them or around them they will only see the world through the eyes of the TV.

Absolutely, positively 100% full-goose bozo accurate. Great post.

My 18 year old son voted in his first election yesterday. We didn't nag or harp on him, just handed him his ballot when it arrived (vote by mail is a great thing), and reminded him that unless you participate in the process, you lose your right to criticize.....

It really is perplexing. You would think these are some of the most motivated individuals, but I guess that stereotype of the politically-motivated college kid is just way outdated.

Nevertheless, while I can see the apathy that arises from both of these uninspiring candidates, there are still issues to be concerned with. While the average college kid may not have much to say about health care, the economy, taxes, or the like, you would think there still has to be something to motivate them to vote. The environment? The makeup of the Supreme Court? Views on abortion? It's hard to imagine that they would have so little interest on saying something, anything, about some of these issues.

Ay carumba.

you would think there still has to be something to motivate them to vote. The environment? The makeup of the Supreme Court? Views on abortion? It's hard to imagine that they would have so little interest on saying something, anything, about some of these issues.

Ay carumba.

99399[/snapback]

This hits it right on the head. These are the issues that touch our everyday life and the people who didn't vote seem to have no clue about how this effects them. All I've seen is an excuse inthis thread that basically says "both candidates sucked, so I didn't vote". At least 3 Supreme Court appointments could come in the next 4 years, that one issue alone should be enough for a person (young or old) to determine which candidate best represents your views and vote that way.

I repeat what I said earlier.... its sad!

I'm embarassed to say it, but my sister, 21, was one of the kids who didn't bother to vote. :)  My parents tried to change her mind, but she said, "I don't care who wins, they both suck."  Then get out there and vote for a third party candidate, sheesh...

Sad, sad, sad... ;)

CW

98901[/snapback]

My 21 year old son was among the non-voters for exactly the same reason. I told him, "You may not be in love with any of them, but you pick the guy whose views are closest to yours, and maybe if he's elected it'll make things a little better. Vote third party if you really can't stomach Kerry or Bush." It didn't motivate him. His political views, BTW, are different from mine.

The 18-24 age bracket doesn't vote for several reasons. The canidates don't really bother to discuss the stuff that is important to them, they don't have kids so they aren't interested in the issues regarding children, they're not home owners, so they aren't really concerned about taxes, etc etc.

There are a lot of reasons that age bracket doesn't vote.

It doesn't help that neither Bush nor Kerry made any effort to discuss things that may be a little more important to the younger voters.

while some of you are bashing children...

my eight year old daughter sat and watch about a half an hour of the coverage with me last night.

She had a vote at school yesterday and 2 out of the 18 kids in her class voted for Kerry.

She was one of them. She told me that people were making fun of her because she voted for Kerry and that she was a traitor and she didn't know what she was talking about.

I asked her what she said in response and she replied "I didn't bother daddy because they were just following the crowd."

My wife and I often have discussions about politics around the house and it obviously caught up with my daughter how important this election was in our eyes. She asked me twice yesterday what year she would be able to vote.

99041[/snapback]

My opinions of Bush and Kerry notwithstanding, it's nice to read she stuck to her guns and "voted" her convictions. Kudos to her, you must be a proud papa. :)

My opinions of Bush and Kerry notwithstanding, it's nice to read she stuck to her guns and "voted" her convictions.  Kudos to her, you must be a proud papa. :)

99692[/snapback]

Yeah, I have been on the reverse end of the crowd mentality growing up in a very liberal town and going the other way...

I am 22, voted and I really don't care what the numbers were for the rest of my generation. If you don't want to vote, fine. I am not going to force you to do something that is good for you. Besides I don't have full faith in the judgement of people who don't care enough to vote. If P Diddy motivates them to vote, that is pretty lame.

It's no one's duty to vote. That's like saying it's someone's duty to take advantage of their freedom of speech. Is spending a half hour to express your opinions the new definition of contributing to society? That's sad. Since I turned 18 I have voted as much as possible. Not just presidential elections, but school board, local, state, primaries, etc.. No one had to motivate me. I took pride in that expressed my opinion, not that fulfilled my civic duty.. geez.

People complain about the candidates that the parties throw out there, well, fine, next time try to promote candidates in the primaries that you prefer....

Really, stop talking and start walking. Don't like the system? Do what you can to change it, don't just sit there and complain.

"1 in 10 18-22 year olds, even BOTHERED to vote!!!"

That is just totally unacceptable!! I can't believe how very far the youth in this country has fallen.

I am tired of just sitting by and not doing anything about. I personally want all the young 18-22 year old females to line up and I will personally give them a nice lil' spanking to teach them a lesson!!

Just doing my civic duty!!

My 20 year old set out to vote for the 1st time with a friend. They stood in line for about an hour and then lost interest. He was supporting Bush and decided that since we live in Texas, his vote wouldn't count anyway. He wasn't at all interested in any of the other races.

This is the same son that is joining the army because he wants to go to Iraq.

The irony of it all. :P

My puzzle is this: If a child is considered mature enough to vote and die for his country, why can he not buy a beer?

I'm embarassed to say it, but my sister, 21, was one of the kids who didn't bother to vote. :P  My parents tried to change her mind, but she said, "I don't care who wins, they both suck."  Then get out there and vote for a third party candidate, sheesh...

Sad, sad, sad... :blink:

CW

98901[/snapback]

What many people (and seemingly many younger voters) fail to see is that when you have 2 main candidates (apologies to the third party folks who have no realistic shot) neither person is going to embody all of your positions - it's impossible. In a representitive democracy you have to pick the person who best represents you, not one who completely represents you. I disagree with the stance of my candidate on a number of points but I voted for him because I disagreed with more of the positions of the other guy.

In the immortal lyrics of Rush - "If you chose not to decide you still have made a choice".