Scheffler wants out

Fingon

Earlier this week, when asked about his thoughts on Jay Cutler officially being on the trading block, Denver Broncos tight end Tony Scheffler told the Denver Post, "I'm not happy about it." When asked to respond yesterday to the news that one of his best friends on the team had been traded to the Chicago Bears, Scheffler told the Post, "Good for Jay. We'll see how it turns out."

Strangely enough, Scheffler may get a closer look at "how it turns out" than he realizes. Among the teams rumored to be on the hunt for a pass-catching tight end this offseason are the Buffalo Bills. While it would be over a 500-mile journey from Orchard Park, NY to Chicago, he'd be closer than if he stayed in Denver. A report by Pro Football Weekly from last week indicated that the Broncos were entertaining offers for Scheffler and although he wasn't officially on the trading block, he was a player that another team could acquire if the price was right.

The Bills are amongst the teams that hosted Oklahoma State's Brandon Pettigrew for a visit earlier this month, a player who is expected to land somewhere in the first round of the draft. But the Bills have arguably a greater need for a pass-rusher, and it might make more sense to try to swing a trade for Scheffler and take a defensive end like Aaron Maybin or Everette Brown at No. 11.

rest of the article at this link http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would love to have scheffler. if it works out that we can trade down in the first round and pick up some extra picks, then i am all for it. but i think we need to shore up our oline with our mid round picks rather than spend it on a te. dont get me wrong, te has been a huge need for the last 10+ years, but if we neglect to add depth to our o-line, its going to be a long season

I'd maybe do it for a 3rd. No way a 2nd.

I don't get this train of thought. If the Bills are willing to use a 1st on a young NFL ready tight end (Pettigrew), why not give up a 2nd for a proven, young, NFL ready tight end?

Other than a 1st rounder, or multiple picks, I don't really care what the price tage is as long as we upgrade.

I don't get this train of thought. If the Bills are willing to use a 1st on a young NFL ready tight end (Pettigrew), why not give up a 2nd for a proven, young, NFL ready tight end?

Other than a 1st rounder, or multiple picks, I don't really care what the price tage is as long as we upgrade.

ummm, because Pettigrew's upside is much much larger than Scheffler's. That's why.

I like Scheffler btw, but I'm wondering what has he done that everyone on this thread wants to trade away their left nut to get him.

He's good, he can stretch the field. Something that we have been lacking, I get that. But he is not known as a blocker, which is why he is on the outs in New England. He is injured a good deal of the time, and that has to be taken into consideration.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see the Bills trade for him. But a second is WAY to high! I feel as if even a third is too high, but if we get him for a third I won't be complaining. I think a 4th considering his production, lack of blocking skills and proness to injury sounds about right.

My logic is that, if the Bills wanted Pettigrew, they would likely trade down and end up with another 3rd rounder. To get Scheffler, offer a 3rd Rounder and a compensatory clause if he makes Pro Bowl.

He plays in Denver not New England.

He's on the outs in Denver because McDaniels prefers blocking TEs and they have Daniel Graham, who is probably the best blocking TE in the NFL and just resigned the massive Jeb Putzier.

That's what I meant to say, I was thinking McDaniels and N.E

but you get my jist

He plays in Denver not New England.

He's on the outs in Denver because McDaniels prefers blocking TEs and they have Daniel Graham, who is probably the best blocking TE in the NFL and just resigned the massive Jeb Putzier.

He's also P.O.'d about the Cutler trade.

My logic is that, if the Bills wanted Pettigrew, they would likely trade down and end up with another 3rd rounder. To get Scheffler, offer a 3rd Rounder and a compensatory clause if he makes Pro Bowl.

(In my best Butthead) That'd be cool heh, heh, heh.

I was going to post something about this the other day. I was just thinking about how I had read that Cutler and Scheffler were close friends and that if and when Cutler was dealt Scheffler to Bills talks would heat up. So if their good friends I guess this means a lot of beer and women in Buffalo again.

I dont know, I just dont see this trade happening. I feel like the Bills could have pulled the trigger on this a month ago but instead are probably going to wait until after the draft before they do anything.

I personally hate the waiting game. No TE the Bills could draft in the 3rd is as good as Scheffler is now.