Hostage situation in Binghamton

DPR4444

...........I asked already if Olean would be considered Upstate NY, but you didn't answer. What exactly is Upstate NY, if it's not what I think it is?

I consider Olean to be Southern Tier. Anything along Route 17/I-86 from Binghamton west to the PA border in my mind is Southern Tier.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked already if Olean would be considered Upstate NY, but you didn't answer.

I didn't answer? Can you read? I did, indeed, answer.

I wouldn't call it either.

My point is "Upstate" and "Downstate" have very little geographic meaning, when it comes to NYS.

If Olean is Upstate, and Watertown is also Upstate, what good is Upstate, as a designator?

I would NOT call Olean upstate. I think I made that very clear. I wouldn't call 90% of the state (geographically) "Upstate" and 10% of it "Downstate". If I was forced to call some ares of NYS "Upstate" I would cite Plattsburgh, Watertown, Potsdam, etc. But, if they objected, I would understand.

"Upstate" is only useful as an subjective indicator, dependent on where you are at the time. If you are in Syracuse, Postdam is "upstate" from where you are. People in NYC refer to the entire remainder of the state (for the most part) as Upstate. I understand that, at times, because it is upstate relative to where they are from. "I'm going to my place, upstate, for the weekend."...that is perfectly acceptable, if not very informative.

Yes, many people use this term...therefore it must be "correct"? Sorry, that's an argument I can't have, as it is too stupid. What most people think, is irrelevant, to the conversation...or is it? The problem is, most people would call Olean "Upstate", but would have absolutely no idea where it is located, within the state. That it isn't in the NYC vicinity, is all they need to know, apparently, as if it isn't in NYC, it doesn't matter.

NYC gets more descriptors than NY State, for most people. If this situation had taken place on 7th Ave and 51st St in NYC, would news reports be calling it "Downstate" NY? It would be called "Midtown Manhattan". If it happened on 7th and 92nd, they would likely call it "the Upper West Side", or maybe even something more descriptive, to help you pinpoint where the event took place. But, let it happen in Binghamton, Buffalo, Olean, Potsdamn, etc, and it is "Upstate".

Don't like the NYC comparatives? Fine, the next time you hear a reference to somewhere on Long Island, for example, take note if they refer to it as "Downstate" New York. I guarantee it will be placed on "Long Island".

You seem to accept the Upstate designator pretty well. How often do you hear of locations in NYS referred to as "Downstate"? If it happens in the NYC area, you better believe they will be more specific than that.

Yeah, I see what you're saying and you make a good point. From a TV perspective and as a descriptor of where something actually is, it's pretty poor.........You're right - no way would they ever describe anything as being in Downstate NY!

I do think it is fine in terms of politics, economy, etc. - I think it's almost like we have two different states - Upstate and Downstate. And, I'd be even more fine if they broke up.

Yeah, I see what you're saying and you make a good point. From a TV perspective and as a descriptor of where something actually is, it's pretty poor.........You're right - no way would they ever describe anything as being in Downstate NY!

I do think it is fine in terms of politics, economy, etc. - I think it's almost like we have two different states - Upstate and Downstate. And, I'd be even more fine if they broke up.

Yes, their is a definite difference in priorities, and needs, between the NYC area, and the rest of the state (which isn't all that unusual in large states with one populous area). Upstate/Downstate can be a quick shorthand to refer to the sides. Even there, though, I think it minimizes the real differences between the various regions of the state outside of NYC. But, since NYC is really the big Magilla, with regard to population, and economy, it tends to be the focus of the arguments/analysis.

First of all, my thoughts and prayers goes out to everyone involved, but I would like to get something off my chest.

It's kind of funny. Whenever a muslim commits a heinous crime all's I hear is, "he's a muslim this and he's muslim that", whenever some one of another faith goes postal there's not even a single mention about the perpetrator religion and if there is, it isn't magnified at the same rate as if he was indeed a muslim. Instead, I hear things like this...

What is it about April? Oklahoma City, Columbine, Virginia Tech, Binghamton...

This one is my favorite. Yeah, April did it.

That's horrible.....unfortunately I think we will be seeing more of these types of things happening in the future, with the way the economy is. People are stressed to the limit. Prayers to all involved.

Yup, every muslim is paid like P. Diddy. Money has nothing to do with it.

We have enough crazies in America, we certianly don't need any imports. Sucks for the good immigrants, a lot of them probably thought they were escaping this type of sh--.

There are no crazy muslims, they all did it because "Allah" told them to.

If you feel that when, then the crazed gunmen have won.

There goes that word again...

Why the double standard? Why isn't this man called a terrorist? Was that not terror?

It's kind of funny. Whenever a muslim commits a heinous crime all's I hear is, "he's a muslim this and he's muslim that",
Ok..I'll play your silly little game...Usually..just usually when a "muslim" does it he/she blows something and/or themselves and something up. Maybe we non-muslims can't afford explosives?

In all seriousness... A terrorist does what he does to achieve a political aim. Not just to say I hate it here and I lost my job. A terrorist kills 100 people thinking he will get to meet Allah and spreading the Koran.

Ok..I'll play your silly little game...Usually..just usually when a "muslim" does it he/she blows something and/or themselves and something up. Maybe we non-muslims can't afford explosives?

In all seriousness... A terrorist does what he does to achieve a political aim. Not just to say I hate it here and I lost my job. A terrorist kills 100 people thinking he will get to meet Allah and spreading the Koran.

So that said terrorist isn't poor? Uneducated? Frustrated? Angry? Desperate? Crazy?

Yes, they do it for political reasons and also do it to see "Allah" and to get their 72 virgins (which by the way ISN'T true), but the real reason they do what they do and are so easily recruited to be Terrorists is because they have nothing to live for. Poor, angry and no civil rights or regular freedoms they we all enjoy here in America. Trust me, if those people had nice lives they wouldn't even consider doing what they do.

First of all, my thoughts and prayers goes out to everyone involved, but I would like to get something off my chest.

It's kind of funny. Whenever a muslim commits a heinous crime all's I hear is, "he's a muslim this and he's muslim that", whenever some one of another faith goes postal there's not even a single mention about the perpetrator religion and if there is, it isn't magnified at the same rate as if he was indeed a muslim. Instead, I hear things like this...

This one is my favorite. Yeah, April did it.

Yup, every muslim is paid like P. Diddy. Money has nothing to do with it.

There are no crazy muslims, they all did it because "Allah" told them to.

There goes that word again...

Why the double standard? Why isn't this man called a terrorist? Was that not terror?

WTF are you talking about. You wanna vent, start your own thread. :thumbsup:

Trust me, if those people had nice lives they wouldn't even consider doing what they do.
I agree. I've been to the middle east several times and its truly a case of the haves or have nots. Religion plays a key role in who has what. Sunni or Shiite depending on what region or country determines who controls what.