Cutler Officially Available

Rimjack

I didn't guess that Quinn would be better than Cutler. I said I wouldn't be surprised if Quinn turns out being more successful than Cutler.

I think Cutler throws the ball at a Pro Bowl level. Given that, and that he was the centerpiece of Shanny's high-powered offense, I believe he is seen as Pro Bowl material. I think Cutler on the Bills, the past three years, turns out like JP.

Now, Cutler hasn't been with the Bills, and has been properly groomed...that's a good thing. He still is a mental nitwit, at times, on the field. But, I think Cutler is a QB that will put up big stats, in the NFL. But, not all big stat QBs have been that successful...or should I say, QBs with more modest stats have often been more successful than those with bigger arms, and bigger numbers. Right now, Cutler has been no more successful in the NFL than Edwards, or JP, as none of them even has a playoff appearance to their credit. Cutler was on the FAR better offense, and team, in that period.

If the Bills had a coach, and an offense, like Shanny and the Broncos, I might like a Cutler deal better. If Edwards isn't the guy, I'd like to see the Bills get a big, smart, tough QB who isn't afraid to go long, but doesn't need to be the center of attention and have huge stats (I think Cutler will always want that, to be happy).

I think you are grasping at straws on this one. I understand that you have a problem with Cutler's attitude, but lots of players have egos and can be babies. I am very familiar with your posts here and respect your opinion. Unfortunately you have aligned yourself with the anti Cutler crowd. Now, I'm not saying the guy is destined for Canton but you just compared him to JP. You are smarter than this and are being petty. At the same time you have stated Cutler hasn't accomplished anything more than Edwards. By that rationale Peters hasn't accomplished anything more than Demetrius Bell and considerably less than Mike Gandy. Bad argument and you know it. The Broncos have some nice weapons but some of you guys make them out to be world beaters. Scheffler and Royal? Wow, terrifying! Mike Shanahan is a great offensive mind and puts players in great positions but even he can't do it without the players. Look at his offenses since Elway. Better yet check out what he has to say about Cutler. The Bills would be lucky to have a probowl caliber Qb again. They haven't sniffed that type of production in a long time. A probowl Qb fits into any offense in the world. Sorry I don't buy the argument he wouldn't handle Buffalo. The guy got his azz kicked for four years at Vandy and never had a problem.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I CAN STILL SEE SAM ADAMS RETURNING THAT INTERCEPTION FOR A TOUCHDOWN IN MY HEAD!

That was easily one of the most hilarious/awesome moments of Buffalo Bills footage in the last decade. Thanks for reminding me of that!

He looked like he was ready to collapse when he got into the end zone.

I think you are grasping at straws on this one. I understand that you have a problem with Cutler's attitude, but lots of players have egos and can be babies. I am very familiar with your posts here and respect your opinion. Unfortunately you have aligned yourself with the anti Cutler crowd. Now, I'm not saying the guy is destined for Canton but you just compared him to JP. You are smarter than this and are being petty. At the same time you have stated Cutler hasn't accomplished anything more than Edwards. By that rationale Peters hasn't accomplished anything more than Demetrius Bell and considerably less than Mike Gandy. Bad argument and you know it. The Broncos have some nice weapons but some of you guys make them out to be world beaters. Scheffler and Royal? Wow, terrifying! Mike Shanahan is a great offensive mind and puts players in great positions but even he can't do it without the players. Look at his offenses since Elway. Better yet check out what he has to say about Cutler. The Bills would be lucky to have a probowl caliber Qb, again. They haven't sniffed that type of production in a long time. A probowl Qb fits into any offense in the world. Sorry I don't buy the argument he wouldn't handle Buffalo. The guy got his azz kicked for four years at Vandy and never had a problem.

Regarding your comment about aligning with the anti Cutler Crowd, it seems as if you have aligned yourself with the antiEdwards crowd. There are reasonable arguments, that we have hashed over and over that are supporting and nonsupporting reasons in why Cutler could be a good QB.

The second comparison regarding Edwards and Cutler to Peters and Bell is a vast exaggeration. On one hand you have a comparison of similar W L records and qb rating and on the other hand you have a player who hasn't even played one professional play with a 2 time probowler. So, even you know, that is a bad argument and You know it!!

The third point you made about Shanahan, you have to know that he does make a big difference.

The next argument you made, you happened to only mention Scheffler and Royal. Did you conveniently forget to mention Brandon Marshall? :thumbsup:

Regarding not sniffing a probowl qb. Don't you think it is a little premature to say that about Edwards? shouldn't he get the benefit of the doubt, for at least one more year?

Regarding your comment about aligning with the anti Cutler Crowd, it seems as if you have aligned yourself with the antiEdwards crowd. There are reasonable arguments, that we have hashed over and over that are supporting and nonsupporting reasons in why Cutler could be a good QB.

The second comparison regarding Edwards and Cutler to Peters and Bell is a vast exaggeration. On one hand you have a comparison of similar W L records and qb rating and on the other hand you have a player who hasn't even played one professional play with a 2 time probowler. So, even you know, that is a bad argument and You know it!!

The third point you made about Shanahan, you have to know that he does make a big difference.

The next argument you made, you happened to only mention Scheffler and Royal. Did you conveniently forget to mention Brandon Marshall? :thumbsup:

Regarding not sniffing a probowl qb. Don't you think it is a little premature to say that about Edwards? shouldn't he get the benefit of the doubt, for at least one more year?

Yes, I don't think Edwards is going to be a great QB. I think he will be a serviceable starter that can win, if his teammates pick him up. Sorry if this is blasphemy to some of you and I hope I'm wrong. I am just calling it like i see it, he is very underwhelming. I made the reference to Peters and Bell because saying Cutler hasn't accomplished anything more than Edwards is laughable. One guy is playing for his job this year and the other is being chased by more than half the league. Your third point about Shanahan is correct. He does make a difference and without a QB like Cutler or Elway his hands are tied. Again, look into what Shanny has to say on the subject. Edwards does deserve another year and I hope he figures it out. I still feel very comfortable saying that he hasn't sniffed probowl selection yet.

I didn't mention Brandon Marshall because I do see him as an elite talent. Your other examples are average players and rookies.

Yes, I don't think Edwards is going to be a great QB. I think he will be a serviceable starter that can win, if his teammates pick him up. Sorry if this is blasphemy to some of you and I hope I'm wrong. I am just calling it like i see it, he is very underwhelming. I made the reference to Peters and Bell because saying Cutler hasn't accomplished anything more than Edwards is laughable. One guy is playing for his job this year and the other is being chased by more than half the league. Your third point about Shanahan is correct. He does make a difference and without a QB like Cutler or Elway his hands are tied. Again, look into what Shanny has to say on the subject. Edwards does deserve another year and I hope he figures it out. I still feel very comfortable saying that he hasn't sniffed probowl selection yet.

people have opinions and they are entitled to them. I am on the other side of the spectrum, where I believe he will be a probowler. I may be wrong, I may be right and time will tell.

I just had to point out some of the criticisms that you had for Dean, where your comparisons were way out there as well, even more so.

Many of us on this board know where we stand with many of the players and their situations. But the one thing we have in common is our passion for the Bills or else we wouldn't be on this message board. I for one am optimistic. I am very excited to see what our Bills can do this year. I just hope that we get the players we need signed and ready to go and that we avoid the injury bug this year. If we do this, I think we are going to do a lot better than what many people on this board think.

I didn't mention Brandon Marshall because I do see him as an elite talent. Your other examples are average players and rookies.

Your wasting your time with Magox (no offense Magox, but its true)...his only response to any stats, rationale, or valid points about Cutler is that "you dont like Edwards"...

If you are blatantly honest about Edwards on field performance last year, that means you hate him...

If you show how Cutler is way better in the clutch then you hate Edwards...

If you show Cutler is on pace to finish only 8 4th quarter come back wins shy of Elways total (who is Mr. Comeback) then you hate Edwards...

If you show Cutler is the second highest rated passer in the 4th quarter in his 2 years as a starter (and higher than Edwards over two years) then you hate Edwards...

If you point out that Cutler lost his #1 target for two games, and lost his TE for a chunk of the season, and had a midget #2 rookie WR and yet still put up 4500+ yards and 25 TD's, then you hate edwards...

If you point out that the reason Den missed the playoffs is becauase of the D, then you hate Edwards...

If you point out that Cutler is 12-1 when his Defense gives up 22 points or less (a reasonable request for a defense), then you hate Edwards...

If you show that Edwards turns the ball over 48% more often than Cutler, then you hate Edwards...

If point out that Cutler had 3 4th qtr comebacks in a 5 game stretch last year, then you hate Edwards...

If you point out Edwards is the worst rated passer in the first half in 2008, then you hate Edwards...

So, if you are sane and think Cutler has shown more on the field than Edwards, no matter what you say, he will just say you hate Edwards...its a lost cause...none of the above says anything about whether one thinks Edwards can improve or not, its just factual evidence of comparing what the two have done on the field thus far...but like I said, unless you delusionally think Edwards played better than he has, he will just say you "hate Edwards"...

No offense Magox, but you know this is true...I have a $1 that he follows up this post with a claim I am on a crusade against Edwards...watch...

people have opinions and they are entitled to them. I am on the other side of the spectrum, where I believe he will be a probowler. I may be wrong, I may be right and time will tell.

I just had to point out some of the criticisms that you had for Dean, where your comparisons were way out there as well, even more so.

Many of us on this board know where we stand with many of the players and their situations. But the one thing we have in common is our passion for the Bills or else we wouldn't be on this message board. I for one am optimistic. I am very excited to see what our Bills can do this year. I just hope that we get the players we need signed and ready to go and that we avoid the injury bug this year. If we do this, I think we are going to do a lot better than what many people on this board think.

I share your optimism about the team. I haven't given up on this coaching staff (very unpopular stance), I don't believe we've seen the best from our offense, and I have high hopes for the upcoming draft. We are one really good draft away from competing, IMO. I just don't believe Edwards can be a gamechanging QB. I hope I'm wrong. A team can win with mediocre QB play, as long as he stays within his ability and doesn't turn the ball over. This is how i feel Edwards needs to play in order to compete. I don't think he will ever play in a probowl but that doesn't mean he can't be a winner. The team needs to get alot better in order to win consistently with an average QB.

For the record, I am with ya on this...I am excited to see what we can do too, even Trent...I am just not as sold on Trent stepping up as you is all. I think he has potential, but I need to see him start living up to it. I hope he does so I dont have to buy another Jersey...

My Jerseys I still have are: Bledsoe, McGahee, and now Trent. I use Bledsoe and McGahee to play paintball in, I hope Trent doesnt make it into my paintball gear too...lmao...

Your wasting your time with Magox (no offense Magox, but its true)...his only response to any stats, rationale, or valid points about Cutler is that "you dont like Edwards"...

If you are blatantly honest about Edwards on field performance last year, that means you hate him...

If you show Cutler is on pace to finish only 8 4th quarter come back wins shy of Elways total (who is Mr. Comeback) then you hate Edwards...

If you show Cutler is the second highest rated passer in the 4th quarter in his 2 years as a starter (and higher than Edwards over two years) then you hate Edwards...

If you point out that Cutler lost his #1 target for two games, and lost his TE for a chunk of the season, and had a midget #2 rookie WR and yet still put up 4500+ yards and 25 TD's, then you hate edwards...

If you point out that the reason Den missed the playoffs is becauase of the D, then you hate Edwards...

If you point out that Cutler is 12-1 when his Defense gives up 22 points or less (a reasonable request for a defense), then you hate Edwards...

If you show that Edwards turns the ball over 48% more often than Cutler, then you hate Edwards...

If point out that Cutler had 3 4th qtr comebacks in a 5 game stretch last year, then you hate Edwards...

If you point out Edwards is the worst rated passer in the first half in 2008, then you hate Edwards...

So, if you are sane and think Cutler has shown more on the field than Edwards, no matter what you say, he will just say you hate Edwards...its a lost cause...none of the above says anything about whether one thinks Edwards can improve or not, its just factual evidence of comparing what the two have done on the field thus far...but like I said, unless you delusionally think Edwards played better than he has, he will just say you "hate Edwards"...

No offense Magox, but you know this is true...I have a $1 that he follows up this post with a claim I am on a crusade against Edwards...watch...

It really isn't even close, I don't know why I get suckered in. I don't think half the posters who argue against Cutler believe it either. It's a message board and arguing is continuous, I guess.

It really isn't even close, I don't know why I get suckered in. I don't think half the posters who argue against Cutler believe it either. It's a message board and arguing is continuos, I guess.

:thumbsup:

Best post ever! Count me into the guilty of getting sucked in...thats why I get labeled as hating Trent, because I get sucked in by crazy posts about how he is better than so and so, or had a great year...etc, etc. Do you know, someone actually argued that he was better than Drew Brees and that he would take Edwards over Brees? I about lost my lunch...its all good though, everyone is entitled to their opinnion, no matter how skewed or biased it is :wallbash:

I like the kid, I am just a realist about what he's been thus far...

Did you happen to read what I wrote? I addressed his comments one by one. Go back and read it again Alpha.

Also, Alpha, just as much as you feel you are wasting your time with me, I and many others are equally wasting our time's with you. (no offense, but it's true)

This board is evenly divided. You just happen to have a passionate dislike for Edwards and I happen to really like him.

Did you happen to read what I wrote? I addressed his comments one by one. Go back and read it again Alpha.

Also, Alpha, just as much as you feel you are wasting your time with me, I and many others are equally wasting our time's with you. (no offense, but it's true)

This board is evenly divided. You just happen to have a passionate dislike for Edwards and I happen to really like him.

LMAO...its all good...you will never believe me, but I like him and hope he comes out and has a great season.

LMAO...its all good...you will never believe me, but I like him and hope he comes out and has a great season.

You know, I saw your post on the LETS GET RID OF SKOOBY thread. Which I though was stupid btw.

Dude, not to make sound like any sort of a bromance or anything, I think you're an informed fan, and it's fun to argue out our points, but on most things, believe or not, I agree with you.

So it's all good, I don't mind that your view's on Edwards and Peters are wrong. :thumbsup:

j/k

You know, I saw your post on the LETS GET RID OF SKOOBY thread. Which I though was stupid btw.

Dude, not to make sound like any sort of a bromance or anything, I think you're an informed fan, and it's fun to argue out our points, but on most things, believe or not, I agree with you.

So it's all good, I don't mind that your view's on Edwards and Peters are wrong. <_<

j/k

LMAO...its all good, I knew you had a man crush on me :thumbsup: j/k

Its all in good fun, I enjoy the debate...bottom line is we all just want the Bills to win, even if your way for them to win is stupid...hahahahaha, kidding... :wallbash:

Man, some of the stuff you post Fingon is just out there...

Flacco? Really? Schaub? You have to be kidding? Ryan? Come on now...

The only one on that list that has any case to be in Cutlers class today is Rodgers. Ryan would be a close second, but he's not there yet (although I think Ryan gets there shortly, maybe even this year, and will be a really good QB).

I can assure you that NO GM in the entire league would take Flacco or Schaub over Cutler straight up. A couple may take Rodgers or Ryan, but the majority still take Cutler. And the only one that would take Cassel over Cutler is Denver because he is the coaches pet project from NE.

I hope you dont desire a career in scouting or football operations, if so, you better delete this post as it will end those chances...

You are joking right? There are a lot of people around the league that think Cutler is Jeff George 2.0. Cutler is an average QB who has the highest bad decision % of an QB in the NFL, throws the ball a ridiculous amount of times, and his YPA isn't even is good as Matt Ryan. I've talked to quite a few people that believe Cutler makes too many bad decisions and is far too immature to develop into a franchise QB. In fact, almost all the of people I've talked to about this have said Cutler's production level is not in line with the talent that surrounds him.

Matt Schaub has a YPA of 8

Matt Ryan has a YPA of 8

Aaron Rodgers has a YPA of 7.5

Cutler has a YPA of 7.35

The only player i would consider taking off the list is Joe Flacco, but as it stands now most of those QBs have been better than Cutler has. The only reason people here are in love with Cutler is because he had 4500+ yards, but that's not even impressive. He threw the ball almost 40 times a game, which is good for 9th in the HISTORY of the NFL. Cutler has a great arm, but he forces the ball where he shouldn't and the talent around him far exceeds the efficiency he has played at.

ESPN sums it up pretty well.

Jay Cutler should be careful what he wishes for.

Wherever he ends up, Cutler might find it hard to match the offensive weapons he had with the Broncos. If he ends up in Washington, for example, he won't have the offensive line protection he had last season. If he goes to Chicago, he won't have the caliber of receivers he had last year.

Take a look at what Cutler will miss when he leaves Denver.

Offensive line: The Broncos had one of the best lines in the league last season. Cutler was sacked just 11 times, the second-lowest total for a starting quarterback in the NFL. His backup, Patrick Ramsey, was sacked once. The Broncos have one of the league's best young left tackles in Ryan Clady, who protects the quarterback's blindside.

Receivers: Denver has a nice complement of receivers in Brandon Marshall, Eddie Royal and Brandon Stokley, along with tight end Tony Scheffler. That group helped Cutler amass more than 4,500 passing yards in 2008, a Denver team record.

The running game: Denver routinely has a deep backfield and one of the best running attacks in the NFL. The running game always set up the pass in Denver under Mike Shanahan. New Denver coach Josh McDaniels will use some of what Denver used to do and some of what he learned in New England. Still, Denver's running attack should continue to be solid.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-189...-in-Denver.html

Per KC Joyner, his bad decision percentage has been over 5.0% the last three years. That is by far the worst in the NFL.

Brady has had a .7% bad decision metric before.

You are joking right? There are a lot of people around the league that think Cutler is Jeff George 2.0. Cutler is an average QB who has the highest bad decision % of an QB in the NFL, throws the ball a ridiculous amount of times, and his YPA isn't even is good as Matt Ryan. I've talked to quite a few people that believe Cutler makes too many bad decisions and is far too immature to develop into a franchise QB. In fact, almost all the of people I've talked to about this have said Cutler's production level is not in line with the talent that surrounds him.

Matt Schaub has a YPA of 8

Matt Ryan has a YPA of 8

Aaron Rodgers has a YPA of 7.5

Cutler has a YPA of 7.35

The only player i would consider taking off the list is Joe Flacco, but as it stands now most of those QBs have been better than Cutler has. The only reason people here are in love with Cutler is because he had 4500+ yards, but that's not even impressive. He threw the ball almost 40 times a game, which is good for 9th in the HISTORY of the NFL. Cutler has a great arm, but he forces the ball where he shouldn't and the talent around him far exceeds the efficiency he has played at.

ESPN sums it up pretty well.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-189...-in-Denver.html

1. Link? I'd like to see who in the NFL is coming out and saying he is Jeff George 2.0

2. I'd like to see what goes into forming a bad decision percentage. It's got to be tough, with all the possible variables involved with any given play.

3. I'm glad you have talked to all sorts of people who agree with you. Solid Evidence! :lol: Let all the GMs who are working overtime right now, know that you have confirmed with friends, Cutler sucks.

4. ESPN is generating as much interest in the Cutler situation as possible. Watch the 24 hour ESPN Cutler watch and you will find all sorts of opinions.

1. Link? I'd like to see who in the NFL is coming out and saying he is Jeff George 2.0

2. I'd like to see what goes into forming a bad decision percentage. It's got to be tough, with all the possible variables involved with any given play.

3. I'm glad you have talked to all sorts of people who agree with you. Solid Evidence! :lol: Let all the GMs who are working overtime right now, know that you have confirmed with friends, Cutler sucks.

4. ESPN is generating as much interest in the Cutler situation as possible. Watch the 24 hour ESPN Cutler watch and you will find all sorts of opinions.

1. Jake Plummer: http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_11586720 and the denver post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11945847

2. bad decision % is summed up well right here http://forums.signonsandiego.com/showthread.php?t=50525

3. I never said Cutler sucks, and a lot of the interest that is being shown is because of his great physical skills, and he has a better shot than a 1st rounder to develop into a very good QB.

The point I'm trying to make is that he isn't a great QB. He is slightly above average.

Seriously, show me one stat that points to him being well above average.

1. Jake Plummer: http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_11586720 and the denver post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11945847

2. bad decision % is summed up well right here http://forums.signonsandiego.com/showthread.php?t=50525

3. I never said Cutler sucks, and a lot of the interest that is being shown is because of his great physical skills, and he has a better shot than a 1st rounder to develop into a very good QB.

The point I'm trying to make is that he isn't a great QB. He is slightly above average.

Seriously, show me one stat that points to him being well above average.

1. LMAO! Your idea of alot of people in the league are Jake Plummer and a Denver Post columnist? If you read the article Plummer is calling Cutler a "helluva player". He was talking skill set and the idea of a Qb in his prime swtiching teams. The article also sounds like sour grapes against Shanahan. Jake has never had a problem throwing somebody under the bus. The Denver article is just comparing the Cutler/Denver situation to when George got traded. You can twist it into Cutler = Jeff George 2.0 if you want.

2. I find it hard to believe KC Joyner has any idea what happens on every passing play in every game. For example what if the reciever runs the wrong route, what if your defense has given up 40 something points and you are playing catch up in the fourth quarter, what if Cutler has been given instruction to take a shot on a certain play, and what if KC just doesn't know every teams playbook? Worthless stat.

3. I agree he has a good chance into developing into a very good QB. I don't think at this point you can call him great but I can't think of many three year QBs you can. He has been good enough to be selected into the probowl by his peers, coachs, and fans. To me that is worth more than stats. Besides when I point at his gaudy production numbers, you'll just say they don't count.

1. LMAO! Your idea of alot of people in the league are Jake Plummer and a Denver Post columnist? If you read the article Plummer is calling Cutler a "helluva player". He was talking skill set and the idea of a Qb in his prime swtiching teams. The article also sounds like sour grapes against Shanahan. Jake has never had a problem throwing somebody under the bus. The Denver article is just comparing the Cutler/Denver situation to when George got traded. You can twist it into Cutler = Jeff George 2.0 if you want.

2. I find it hard to believe KC Joyner has any idea what happens on every passing play in every game. For example what if the reciever runs the wrong route, what if your defense has given up 40 something points and you are playing catch up in the fourth quarter, what if Cutler has been given instruction to take a shot on a certain play, and what if KC just doesn't know every teams playbook? Worthless stat.

3. I agree he has a good chance into developing into a very good QB. I don't think at this point you can call him great but I can't think of many three year QBs you can. He has been good enough to be selected into the probowl by his peers, coachs, and fans. To me that is worth more than stats. Besides when I point at his gaudy production numbers, you'll just say they don't count.

1. Mel Kiper is another person who compares the two.

2. He watches every single pass play in the entire NFL to create his metrics, and it is NO coincidence that Cutler has been at the top 3 years running.

3. His production numbers aren't gaudy. They are Jon Kitna-like.