Lou Saban 1921-2009

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not old enough to remember Lou Saban during his first go-around coaching the Bills, but I do remember his return.

Not only did he turn the team around, he saved OJ's career. Does anyone else remember "OJ left, OJ right, OJ up the middle"?

Ralph, put him on the wall! And announce it during your hall of fame induction speech.

Ralph doesn't speak publicly about his dislike for people. He has a difficult relationship with both Saban and Gilchrist although in fairness both of those individuals could be difficult to deal with.

This about sums it up on Ralph and Lou. A fine article by D&C columnist Bob Matthews:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/articl...317/1007/SPORTS

Regarding Cookie, there's a series of events over decades which have galvanized their inability to cooperate with each other. Ralph cut Cookie once before Jack Kemp interceded. William C. Rhoden, the highly-respected sports columnist for the New York Times wrote a story of how Cookie contacted Ralph before the 1994 Super Bowl and volunteered to give the team a pre-game pep talk. Ralph refused his request.

Cookie feels Ralph needs to extend him an olive branch and show some love for the greatness that he helped the Bills attain. Basically they've never been able to see eye to eye. I just found Rhoden's article.

http://www.cookiegilchrist.com/Article5.html

You must read this...Cookie was a more polarizing figure than Jim Brown. He was the leader and emotional toughness on the team. See the incident in New Orleans and Paul Maguire's comments about the 1964 AFL Championship game.

Actually, Saban put Gilchrist on waivers after Gilchrist -- mad that the Bills were trying to pass instead of giving him the ball -- refused to re-enter a game against the Patriots. Some of the players didn't want him back, but they knew they needed him to win the 1964 AFL Championship. Although Kemp agreed with Saban's move, saying, "There has to be some responsibility for your actions," he played peacemaker by going to Gilchrist's house and talking him into apologizing to Saban and his teammates.

From Jeff Miller's excellent book, Rockin' the Rockpile:

Said Saban, "Some of the players came up to me and said, 'Wait a minute, we know he's contributed a great deal to this team. Let's give him another chance.' I sad, 'Do you want to take him because he can help you win, or do you really want to do something for Cookie personally?' We had guys like Shaw and so forth, and he said, 'Coach, we just feel we can help him.' I said, 'Okay, I'll bring him back.'"

And I haven't looked at the cookiegilchrist.com site lately, but at one point he called Wilson a "slave owner," so their reconciliation probably isn't near.

As for Saban, Wilson allegedly never forgave him for walking out on the team the Friday before a game against the Colts in 1976. And yes, I have heard that one vote on the Wall committee counts for more than the rest. You can guess who that vote belongs to.

But to whoever mentioned Polian, those circumstances were different. I fully expect to see his name on the Wall someday.

I don't want to sound cold or anything, but i'm not too sure how some people can call this "sad" or "tragic"

Maybe it's because I work in the medical field and I see things that are TRULY tragic and sad.

But a man who lives 87 good years, doing what he loved at the highest level possible, and being healthy enough to do it into his 80's?

That my friends, is called "winning the life lottery".

Obviously condolences for those who loved him, but trust me: There's no reason to feel sad for Lou Saban.

I'd take his life in a heartbeat. all 87 amazing years.

Cheers to you Lou.

I don't want to sound cold or anything, but i'm not too sure how some people can call this "sad" or "tragic"

Maybe it's because I work in the medical field and I see things that are TRULY tragic and sad.

But a man who lives 87 good years, doing what he loved at the highest level possible, and being healthy enough to do it into his 80's?

That my friends, is called "winning the life lottery".

Obviously condolences for those who loved him, but trust me: There's no reason to feel sad for Lou Saban.

I'd take his life in a heartbeat. all 87 amazing years.

Cheers to you Lou.

True!

But to whoever mentioned Polian, those circumstances were different. I fully expect to see his name on the Wall someday.

Lori, As you know I brought Polian's name into the discussion.

IMO the main difference is that Polian is still, and will continue to be working long after Ralph passes. So yes, Polian will probably be on the Wall...if the team is still in Buffalo. Conveniently Ralph doesn't really have to deal with this issue. Ralph won't be around to personally blackball Polian.

As far as who is right or wrong in the impasse between Ralph and his former employees, none of us really knows. There's lots of anecdotal evidence on both sides as to who is more to blame. Ralph holds grudges as we know and we know he also attempts to be faithful to valued employees like Harvey Johnson and Stew Barber.

Personally I would hope the older man is also the wiser man.

Personally I would hope that the man who was the boss of the other two and holds the position of power (Wall of Fame) would be the bigger man. No he's not a slave owner...Cookie and Saban surely received a few hundred thousand of Ralph's millions. Hopefully in the long run that money was commensurate with their contributions.

I would hope that Ralph would be the one to extend an earnest and sincere olive branch. But I don't think Ralph is that big of a man, IMO.

And thank goodness that Gilchrist was reinstated. Without him we wouldn't have won that 1964 Championship. It should be about winning/excelling and not about egos.

That's what professionalism is and as with any organization it starts at the top.

For full disclosure, when the Ralph rumors were flying around a few days ago I didn't weigh in. It would be sad of course but I've gone to plenty of funerals in my life and we're all gonna die someday. As people have been saying about Saban, he's had a rich and good life (his first wife's suicide notwithstanding).

My short take on Ralph:

He was good for the AFL and the NFL. However his chief accomplishment as Bills owner was deciding not to move them elsewhere. Other than that, he was a poor owner. And the Bills record as a team proves this last point without argument.

Polian isn't a player, so he doesn't need to retire to become eligible. In fact, I'd say it's between him and Bennett for the next spot, in 2010. Straight from someone on the committee, several years ago: "(Ralph) would never let their personal differences keep Bill off the wall."

But this is the wrong thread to jack with that discussion ...

The official statement from the Bills:

“Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson, Jr. and the entire Bills organization is deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Lou Saban. Coach Saban’s knowledge of the game and unique personality were the perfect fit for the early years of the American Football League. Talented, enthusiastic and colorful, Coach Saban’s style of coaching left an indelible mark on the AFL and professional football. As our organization prepares to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the American Football League and our franchise, we are sad today that Lou Saban will not be here to share it with us. But his spirit will be remembered long after the celebration is over.

"Mr. Wilson and the Bills organization pass along their deepest sympathies to Coach Saban’s wife Joyce and their entire family during this difficult time.”