Houston Texans RB detained while Mother-in Law dies

KG4ZDX

And they were close enough that if they really needed to provide proof of insurance as he claimed they could have gone to the house, OR (as I have done when in HS) called the insurance company on site for proof.

I'm sad that this guy is putting a pall on the overall good nature of most cops. Anytime I'm in a diner in the area here in Pittsburgh I try to pay for an officer's meal, because the good ones are putting their lives on the line. But this dude, he needs to lose his job yesterday.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't need a badge to get away with something. Have a little more faith in your fellow man.

Not to drag this out much further, as in my opinion both sides have argued their points as far as they can go. However, I agree you don't need to have a gun and a badge to get away with something, but it certainly helps. The only thing better may be to be a child of a public official or a multimillionaire.

Frankly, I know a lot of cops both here in FL where I live now, as well as in Rochester and Queens. I was friendly with a lot of cops in Queens due to the fact that a couple of my friends' whole families seemed to be in law enforcement, ranging from street cops to detectives. I would be invited to many a family get-together with them and learned to outgrow my teen impression of cops. Spending time with these members of law enforcement gave me the utmost respect for what they do and the risks encounter in their profession. On the other hand, I also saw and heard first hand how not only cops, but their extended families would be afforded latitude in situations where anyone else, short of a senator's son, would be ticketed, arrested, or go to jail. In fact, at the risk of sounding like a hypocrite, as a result of my association with those families, I was let out of two traffic infractions myself. I was just stating what I've seen to be true.

The comment about having more faith in my common man is a tough one for me right now. I teach at a university here and on Friday one of my lab instructors had a student pull out $500 cash and tried to bribe the instructor to give him a 100% on a hands-on practical exam. This resulted in me wasting a half of an afternoon interviewing everyone involved, documenting it, meeting with university officials, etc. Of course this will just be the tip of the iceberg, as there will be disciplinary hearings, appeal hearings, etc. So you'll have to forgive me just now if I'm a little cynical.

I'll start having more faith in my fellow man when they start giving me reason to do so. Until then, I'll go with the premise that there are good people and bad people but the only person I can have ultimate faith in is myself.

Not to drag this out much further, as in my opinion both sides have argued their points as far as they can go. However, I agree you don't need to have a gun and a badge to get away with something, but it certainly helps. The only thing better may be to be a child of a public official or a multimillionaire.

Frankly, I know a lot of cops both here in FL where I live now, as well as in Rochester and Queens. I was friendly with a lot of cops in Queens due to the fact that a couple of my friends' whole families seemed to be in law enforcement, ranging from street cops to detectives. I would be invited to many a family get-together with them and learned to outgrow my teen impression of cops. Spending time with these members of law enforcement gave me the utmost respect for what they do and the risks encounter in their profession. On the other hand, I also saw and heard first hand how not only cops, but their extended families would be afforded latitude in situations where anyone else, short of a senator's son, would be ticketed, arrested, or go to jail. In fact, at the risk of sounding like a hypocrite, as a result of my association with those families, I was let out of two traffic infractions myself. I was just stating what I've seen to be true.

The comment about having more faith in my common man is a tough one for me right now. I teach at a university here and on Friday one of my lab instructors had a student pull out $500 cash and tried to bribe the instructor to give him a 100% on a hands-on practical exam. This resulted in me wasting a half of an afternoon interviewing everyone involved, documenting it, meeting with university officials, etc. Of course this will just be the tip of the iceberg, as there will be disciplinary hearings, appeal hearings, etc. So you'll have to forgive me just now if I'm a little cynical.

I'll start having more faith in my fellow man when they start giving me reason to do so. Until then, I'll go with the premise that there are good people and bad people but the only person I can have ultimate faith in is myself.

I am usually a cynical person myself. I made the comment in response to those who believe cops can get away with anything. In today's day and age , cops are under a microscope like no other profession. The days of vigilante justice without consequence are virtually over. How much time does it take to whip out a cellphone and video record something? How long does it take until that image or video is plastered everywhere? How long until Buffalo Bills message boards are 7 pages deep analyzing it? You have a better chance of getting away with something if you weren't wearing a uniform and driving a police car, IMO.

As far as the traffic stuff goes, I'm okay with it. As long as guys aren't letting eacthother go on crimes that are more severe than a routine traffic violation, who cares? I've been let go on traffic stops myself (military ID). Every profession has it's perks I suppose. Anyway, good luck with that student and instructor. It sounds like a really bad situation.

calm down, people will hear you yelling in the trailer park that you live in. what a redneck, you probably voted for bush twice as well, didn't you

to me your attack is over the top as well, you just didn't have badge and gun.

He is simply taking the other side of this story. I have to agree with the post, the police have to be extremely cautious because there are so many lunatics out there. I also agree that the cop was over the top and many of them think they can do what they want because of a badge and gun.