Peppers to New England? Deal is OFF

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/17/...ts-wont-happen/

In his weekly appearance on WEEI in Boston, Adam Schefter of NFL Network said that the Panthers won’t be trading defensive end Julius Peppers to the Patriots.

“That trade is not gonna happen,” Schefter told Dennis & Callahan of WEEI.

Schefter cited the financial investment that Peppers would require and the looming class of Patriots free agents (including Vince Wilfork and Richard Seymour), who will be on the market in 2010.

Schefter’s opinion conflicts sharply with a Monday report from Vic Carucci of NFL.com, who seemed to suggest that a trade would happen at some point between the upcoming league meetings (which open on March 22) and the 2009 draft.

“I’m telling you, they’re not gonna do it,” Schefter said later in the segment. “. . . . I don’t believe for a second there’s any truth to it.”

In his weekly appearance on WEEI in Boston, Adam Schefter of NFL Network said that the Panthers won’t be trading defensive end Julius Peppers to the Patriots.

Schefter cited the financial investment that Peppers would require and the looming class of Patriots free agents (including Vince Wilfork and Richard Seymour), who will be on the market in 2010.

Schefter’s opinion conflicts sharply with a Monday report from Vic Carucci of NFL.com, who seemed to suggest that a trade would happen at some point between the upcoming league meetings (which open on March 22) and the 2009 draft.

“I’m telling you, they’re not gonna do it,” Schefter said later in the segment. “. . . . I don’t believe for a second there’s any truth to it.”

Best news I've heard all day. Adam Schefter - now he is a reliable source.

If so, the AFC East just dodged a bullet. Schefter is usually spot on with these reports and I take his word over someone, like say, Chris Mortensen.

Yeah, cuz Mort's, like, a total DOUCHE! He hates the Bills and thus can't report accurately.

It is a violation of NFL rules for the Panthers to be discussing trade with any team at this point, not until Peppers signs his tender. However once he does sign his tender he can be traded for lesser compensation ala Jared Allen last year. With that i say the Pats are still in the hunt with the draft picks they have at their disposal i believe if they really want Peppers, and it appears Peppers wants them. They have the picks to get it done. So at this point its all speculation, but thanks for your input Schefter.

Schefter is usually right when reporting something that has already happened and has been forwarded to league offices where he gets first dibs on the info. LIke trades and cuts that have already gone down.

When Schefter is left to speculate on how things will go down he's no more right than anyone else. See his speculation that Scott Pioli was destined to end up Browns GM as recent proof.

Interesting ... NE has been smart about not overpaying FA's. Have to gie them kudos for this.

Interesting ... NE has been smart about not overpaying FA's. Have to gie them kudos for this.

It has less to do with NE and more to do with the Panthers getting fair compensation. When I first heard the report by Carucci that it was for the 34th overall pick, I thought that the Panthers had lost their minds.