Patriots Primed to Make a Run at Peppers

H2o

I cant see them just giving Peppers away to the best team in the East (a team they likely face if Car makes the SB) for a 2nd rd pick because Car doesnt want to pay a high first round draft pick...

I mean, any team in the bottom half of the first can give them a better draft pick and keep him away from the best team in football...

Them giving him away to NE makes no logical sense, especially since so many other teams want him and give a better deal...

I cant see them just giving Peppers away to the best team in the East (a team they likely face if Car makes the SB) for a 2nd rd pick because Car doesnt want to pay a high first round draft pick...

I mean, any team in the bottom half of the first can give them a better draft pick and keep him away from the best team in football...

Them giving him away to NE makes no logical sense, especially since so many other teams want him and give a better deal...

They may have no choice but to give him away to NE.

For starters, Carolina is facing the prospects of tying up $17M of cap on a player who doesn't even want to be there. Further, having so much cap $ tied up in just one player severely cripples what the team can do in free agency. Heck, they can't participate in free agency right now because they are carrying that albatross of a contract on their books. At this point in time I'm sure Carolina just wishes that Peppers would be gone and they could start with their offseason and add, or even just attempt to keep, some of their needed players.

Further complicating matters for Carolina is that Peppers has stated that he'll only negotiate a long term deal with 4 teams (the Pats, the Cowboys, the Skins and Phily). So this forces Carolina to deal only with these 4 teams (and two of them, Cowboys and Skins don't have cap room left) or to find a team that is willing to trade a pick for Peppers AND also assume his full $17M franchise contract (because Peppers won't negotiate it down). Not many teams have the cap room to absorb all of the $17M and also better the pick that the Pats apparently have offered.

Personally, I think the Panthers jump all over the 34th pick in the draft for Peppers.

The Patriots approach each season looking to do whatever it takes to win a championship.

Correction: The Pats have players lining up at their door because players feels it's their best chance for a ring. That's why they get whoever they want for next to nothing. To think the Bills can do the same is crazy. No one wants to play in Buffalo for the Bills. The city's and the teams rep is crap. Anyone who thinks the NFL is a level playing field is high on something.

PTR

Correction: The Pats have players lining up at their door because players feels it's their best chance for a ring. That's why they get whoever they want for next to nothing. To think the Bills can do the same is crazy. No one wants to play in Buffalo for the Bills. The city's and the teams rep is crap. Anyone who thinks the NFL is a level playing field is high on something.

PTR

Money levels the playing field. We would have to hope that Ralph will loosen up the purse strings.

Money levels the playing field. We would have to hope that Ralph will loosen up the purse strings.

Oh you think so? Maybe if we pay everyone $10M a year, but you'd eat up your cap pretty quick. Even then, some players want the ring more than an extra couple million. Where would you sign?

PTR

.. Even then, some players want the ring more than an extra couple million. Where would you sign?

PTR

Excellent question, PTR! Worthy of thought.

If I'm a very good player in the NFL with about 7 years experience and 1 or 2 Pro bowls entering my 'big payday' op, what do I want most? Logic would dictate to go with the best op for Bling, to cement my treasured privilege. That unequivocally discounts the Bills of this millenium. Thankfully enough for us, waaay too many players have pizzed away million$$ already at this stage and this represents their last chance to solidfy a nice future for themselves. These are likely the only ones who'd consider notoriously bad teams if 'the money's right'. If they've been smart, this doesn't apply and we're not in the discussion.

Grim..