The NFL Draft in NYC

mrags

I was there last year. You stand in line, get wrist bands, then have to line up again an hour or two later (for a ticket to get in). Might want to bring some Jack Daniels or something, it can be a long wait.

What time did you show up? Did you go the night before? or did you just show up really early the day of?

Any idea if you have to stay until the end of day 2 to recieve your voucher for the next year? or do they hand them out early? My flight leaves at like 7pm on Sunday, and just trying to see if I should even bother to go for day 2.

Thanks

What time did you show up? Did you go the night before? or did you just show up really early the day of?

Any idea if you have to stay until the end of day 2 to recieve your voucher for the next year? or do they hand them out early? My flight leaves at like 7pm on Sunday, and just trying to see if I should even bother to go for day 2.

Thanks

i showed up at 9 am (and still got in) but it was pretty dicey as people behind me did not get wristbands.

You have to stay until the end of day 2 to get your tickets for next year.

Here at the specials at McFadden's on Day 1 of the draft, just confirmed with the bar:

Draft Party Drink Specials from 1-8pm on Saturday:

$35 - All the draft beer you can drink and wings you can eat.

$25 - All the Bud/Bud Lite draft you can drink and wings you can eat.

$20 - All the pop you can drink and wings you can eat.

$1 off all mixed drinks.

Bar will be packed with Bills fans.

Last year was my first year of draft attendance. I went to McFadden's for Day 1 (and it was as good as advertised), and attended the draft on Day 2, so I can really only help you with Day 2 related stuff. Day 2 starts at 10am, and is no trouble to get into. I think I got there around 9am, but that was plenty early. If I recall correctly, they didn't let anyone in until around 9:30am, and the place didn't come close to filling up, so don't worry about being last in line. If you want a good seat on Day 2, you'll have to get there a few hours early, but otherwise, just make sure you get there before 10am. That's key, because here's how you get your free no-waiting ticket for next year's Day 1:

1.) When you enter Radio City Music Hall, there are a bunch of people handing out forms and yelling about "Day 2 Diehards." Make sure you get one of these forms. These people close up shop as soon as Day 2 starts, so make sure you're not late.

2.) Fill out the form (basic name, address, etc. stuff).

3.) For heaven's sake, don't lose the form! You can only get the form before the first pick of Day 2.

4.) After the last pick of the draft, there will be a bunch of people collecting the forms on your way out. Give them your form.

5.) Wait patiently for your Day 1 ticket to arrive. Mine still hasn't arrived, so it'll be a while.

Once you get inside, I think you'll enjoy it quite a bit. I'm assuming you're pretty into the draft, and if so, it's really cool to walk into Radio City Music Hall and see the familiar podium, with both of the broadcast crews right there. The NFL also handles it really well. There are several giant screens with both ESPN's and NFL Network's broadcasts playing. They give you a mini AM radio, which you can use to tune in to either broadcast, so you don't really miss anything that the viewers at home get. And they give you a goodie bag with the aforementioned radio, a basic-but-not-horrible draft guide/scorecard (and a pen so you can write down who gets drafted when), and some assorted junk.

If you go on Day 2, I advise you to bring some stuff to keep you occupied, as it can really drag. I think last year ended around 7pm or so, so you're looking at something like 9 hours of being there. Lots of people brought backpacks, which I recommend. I saw a bunch of people with their laptops out, so I'm guessing that there's wifi in Radio City. I'd also recommend bringing your own food to Day 2, as the options inside Radio City are less than optimal.

All in all, I had a blast last year, and I'm psyched about hitting up Day 1 this year.

One thing I haven't read here that I heard elsewhere is that there's a possibility that the draft will be moved back one hour to 4 p.m. EST. The reason is that it would (more or less) push west coast coverage into prime time. I don't know if the final decision has been made yet.

Also I know someone on the board here who goes every year. I'm going to send him a message to check in on this thread and add whatever he thinks is missing or needs to be re-stated.