Wonderlic Test?

San-O

Which person listed scored in single digits on Wonderlic test?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Care to guess...

• Marv Levy
    • Dick Jauron
    • Me
    • Jason Peters
    • Skooby

Such a huge difference between test-taking smarts and football smarts...Wonderlic is essentially meaningless in my opinion, unless the score is shockingly high or devastatingly low.

Also, from what I understand, Wonderlic scores are never made public. These may, or may not, be the actual scores (leaked by a team, or an agent), or they may be a mixture of actual scores and guesses (most likely).

With that said, the word on Peters is that he is a phenomenal natural athlete, a good guy, a hard worker...but smart is not a word used to describe him. I'm thinking Forest Gump, here.

Such a huge difference between test-taking smarts and football smarts...Wonderlic is essentially meaningless in my opinion, unless the score is shockingly high or devastatingly low.

Do yourself a favor and find the last 10 or so QBs to win a Super Bowl and then the QBs who were busts. You will find that although high Wonderlics are no guarantee of success (its is more attributed to there only being 1 SB winning QB every year) low scores are an almost certain guarantee of no success. So although a high Wonderlic QB is no guarantee you'll win a Super Bowl, a low Wonderlic is a guarantee you won't. I looked it up a while back and lost the file, but the info is out there.

I think the test is more critical to positions on the field where high level decision-making is critical and less critical for say RB who run more on instinct than smarts.

As for JP, the story is that he had 2 scores, one around 15 or 16 and the other as noted here. He was coached after the first to get his score up. Happens often.

Discounting the Wonderlic is laughable. If the test is so meaningless, why are the kids from real academic institutions the ones that typically score highest and the ones from places like say Miami, the ones scoring lowest?

If it was a meaningless examine, they'd stop using it.

More fuel for discussion.

Dan Marino scored a 14 on the Wunderlich.

I'm not sure if they had the Wonderlic then, but what do you think Terry Bradshaw would have scored.

Putting any real value in the Wonderlic is absurd. As a long-time research professional, I can tell you, tests like this are directional (at best*), and are to be used as one small part of a total evaluation. A good interview, with a smart football professional, an examination of film on the player and a few conversations with a players former coaches and teammates can tell you FAR more about the player's football intellect, than a standardized test like the Wonderic.

* that's assuming the player is a decent test taker, got a good night's sleep, was feeling well that day, took the test seriously (actually tried), etc.

to answer my own question according to wiki.

"Kevin Curtis, a wide receiver of the Philadelphia Eagles, currently has the highest score of any current NFL player, with a score of 48 out of 50 points.

Only one NFL player has ever scored higher than that, with Pat McInnally, a wide receiver for the Cincinnati Bengals who scored a perfect 50 in 1976."

what was the higest score posted by any player?

According to the article linked by the OP:

Only one player, former Bengals punter and Harvard graduate Pat McInally, is known to have scored a perfect 50, in 1975. Utah State WR Kevin Curtis came close a year ago when he scored a 48. This year's top score was produced by Iowa DT Jared Clauss with a 45. Two former Duke transfers, Delaware DE Shawn Johnson (42) and Georgia TE Ben Watson (41), were not far behind.

Didn't fitzpatrick have a perfect score?

According to his Wikipedia entry:

Fitzpatrick took the Wonderlic Test. Highly divergent reports about his performance have appeared in the media. A draft commentary on the NFL's official website reported that he made a perfect score, while setting a speed record by completing the exam in nine minutes.[1] According to a The Wall Street Journal report that appeared in the September 30, 2005 edition, Fitzpatrick scored a 48 on the exam, not a 50; this would still be considered an exceptionally high score, and the claim that he completed the test in nine minutes is accurate. While his actual score is unknown, he certainly did not record a perfect score, as he has been quoted admitting he left at least one question blank.[2] As the Wonderlic score is the number of correct answers to 50 questions, the best he could have scored would be a 49.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Fitzpatrick

Of course, as is noted in the quote above, Wonderlic scores are not made public. So believe whatever you choose to believe

JP and the Wonderlic score remind me of South Park Episode 805 You Got F'd in the A

Chef: Oh Lord have mercy. [turns off the boombox] Children, children! No no, you've got it all wrong. Don't you see, children? You have the heart, but you don't have the soul. Nono, wait. You have the soul, but you don't have the heart. [scratches his head] Nono, scratch that. You have the heart and the soul, but you don't have the talent.