We didn't try and sign the FAs we brought in?

I dunno how many of you watched the video on bb.com, but DJ says they brought in those FA LBs to get to know them and lay a foundation in case they tried to sign them later. Can someone explain to me why the heck would you bring them in if your intention wasn't to sign them in the first place? There is no guarantee they will even be around by the time the Bills decided to grace them with an offer.

I dunno how many of you watched the video on bb.com, but DJ says they brought in those FA LBs to get to know them and lay a foundation in case they tried to sign them later. Can someone explain to me why the heck would you bring them in if your intention wasn't to sign them in the first place? There is no guarantee they will even be around by the time the Bills decided to grace them with an offer.

It could be foreshadowing of what their draft strategy is. We could be targeting a LB in the draft to fill Crowell's vacated spot on the roster. They could be after Cushing, Sintim, Matthews, Freeman, or some one else for all we know. They also could have faith in Bowen. I don't know. I just think that maybe they don't see June or Keiaho as upgrades over Ellison. I think that we're going to draft a OLB, or possibly a MLB, in the first 3 rounds of the draft.

I think they've hedged their bets that those players like June and Keiaho will receive little further interest (being T2 LB's) and the front office can get them for less by making them wait. Frankly, they're gambling on so much this offseason. The LB and LG positions are wide open, with no one starting quality on the roster. If they think they'll get some bargain or start a mid round player, it's not the solution.

With needs at DE, TE, interior OL, OLB, and LB depth, that's a lot heading into the wilderness of FA and the draft.

You're right, there is no guarantee. But the teams have more leverage than the players right now.

Given the pace of free agency and the market, the great majority of teams are moving slowly. Few teams are in a rush and it seems like that has emboldened some teams to play a waiting game to drive prices down. The Bills are part of a league-wide trend in that regard. Look how long it took Jabari Greer to sign. The same for highly regarded players like Ron Bartell, Leigh Bodden, Sean Jones, Jermaine Phillips and Heath Evans. While none of these guys are superstars, they are all quality starters who were on the market for a long time.

Guys like Derrick Brooks and Leonard Weaver are still unsigned as are a bunch of players.

As for the reasons for a visit and no signing? IMO for one a player has to actually see a facility and a city in many cases before they decide whether that team is a good fit. They can talk contract parameters on the phone but visits need to be made to gauge mutual interest and sometimes visits bear no fruit. Quite simply I think that the teams are playing the waiting game as the slow market causes free agents to panic and agree to a cheap deal.

The other reason is that there is a slew of players who will be cut this month due to roster bonuses that teams are unwilling to pay. Just today, a good offensive lineman Kevin Shaffer was cut. Torry Holt is expected to be cut. Teams are saving money in case someone, like Terrell Owens is another example, unexpectedly hit the market.

That's just DJ's polite way of saying, "No way, man. Not interested."

That's not what Jauron is saying IMO. The obvious subtext is that the Bills are interested but Cato June and Freddi Keiaho think they can get more elsewhere. That remains to be seen.

I think they've hedged their bets that those players like June and Keiaho will receive little further interest (being T2 LB's) and the front office can get them for less by making them wait. Frankly, they're gambling on so much this offseason. The LB and LG positions are wide open, with no one starting quality on the roster. If they think they'll get some bargain or start a mid round player, it's not the solution.

With needs at DE, TE, interior OL, OLB, and LB depth, that's a lot heading into the wilderness of FA and the draft.

excellent point!

The LB's you named most likely are not receiving too much love in FA, and every day that passes, the lower their value becomes. As far as interior lineman are concerned, I'm hoping that they are working on a deal with KC regarding Waters.

There is a time between now and the draft and OTA's and finally training camp,why over pay for someone who isn't worth their current going rate. Players get a whole lot cheaper once it gets closer to training camp. For certain it makes sense to see how the draft unfolds to get a better picture of what positions still need help.

You guys gotta understand that if a player is really good that their team will find a way to lock them up.The market is full of over priced players that have lost some edge or they wouldn't even be on the market.

Nobody should be in a rush to try to sign Cato June, or Freddy Keiaho. Neither are an upgrade (better then Crowell), and LB is an easy position to fill. No need to overpay someone elses undersized scrubs to play, when we could fill the lb voids via the draft and depth with 3rd tier free agents.

Nobody should be in a rush to try to sign Cato June, or Freddy Keiaho. Neither are an upgrade (better then Crowell), and LB is an easy position to fill. No need to overpay someone elses undersized scrubs to play, when we could fill the lb voids via the draft and depth with 3rd tier free agents.

I would disagree, I think at least Cato June would be an upgrade. Freddy K. would be about an even swap, minus the bridges that Crowell burned last year with his last minute surgery choice.