Edwards Arm Strength

How can you say he was AVERAGE when he only beat 2 other NOBODYS? I wouldn't call that AVERAGE more like BELOW AVERAGE. People that think 2 or 3 MPH does not mean anything are CRAZY, we are talking about a football here NOT a car.

Ok... Lets split hairs...

Trent throws 55 mph

Your want is someone who can throw 60

a 30 yard pass at 55 mph from release to completion would take 1.115 seconds

a 30 yard pass at 60 mph from release to completion would take 1.0227 seconds

Fact is TE is ok in my mind...

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But in the important measures, Edwards has proven little.

1) How far can he throw? Well, he's shown he can throw about 45 yards, which isn't bad, but with a speed merchant like Lee Evans, this distance basically means he has to throw before Lee get more than about 15 yards down the field. Which means he often has to decide whether to throw before Lee has passed the defender. This is a handicap. Trent hasn't showed the ability or anyway the willingness to make decisions on a long ball that early. Which is why he has completed so few of them.

You make it sound like 45+ yard attempts (not to mention completions) happen several times a game for other QBs. They don't. The 45+ "weakness" is stupid. Almost no QB in the NFL attampts passes beyond 45 yards so your point is meaningless.

To back this up, the top-rated QB in the league last year was Rivers. He attempted 10 passes of 40+ yards ALL SEASON. Amazingly, he completed 4 of them--so he's a stud.

Next rated: Pennington with 4 attempts. (Completed 2!)

Next rated Warner--he must attempt a lot of long balls with the best WR duo in football right? 7 attempts all season.

A few other notable names. How about Manning? Huge arm. Great downfield WRs. 2 attempts of 40+. 2. 0 completions.

McNabb: 11 attempts. 2 completions.

Edwards: 1 for 1. 1 more completion than Manning--1 less attempt. (In Losman's best year 2006, he was 2 for 10).

So passing deep is overrated. For the true longball guys, you get maybe 1 attempt every other game. BFD.

2) Can he throw through the winds at the Ralph? JP proved he could. Trent simply hasn't proved anything here, just the opposite. He could still learn it and become good. But to this point, he hasn't.

Are you talking about JP Losman? Really?

Edwards has a lot to prove to become a legitimate starter in the NFL but your post doesn't point out his weaknesses. People like you point to arm strength and miss the point. Others point to his inability to react to blitzes, which is also completely off--he reads blitzes very well. His biggest weakness by far is against 7-8 in coverage. He sucks/blows chunks against lots of guys in coverage. He absolutely can't throw well when there are lots of guys in coverage.

You make it sound like 45+ yard attempts (not to mention completions) happen several times a game for other QBs. They don't. The 45+ "weakness" is stupid. Almost no QB in the NFL attampts passes beyond 45 yards so your point is meaningless.

This topic is pretty played out, but I will chime in one last time here...as I have several disagreements with that statement above...

1. If a players max is around 45 yards, you likely wont see him throwing very often past 35 yards because trying to max out on a throw hampers your accuracy which is something you dont want to lose on your deep throws because of the higher risk of INT’s.

2. This same guy is going to have more air time in the throws over 40 yards and less velocity giving precious time to the safety and CB to adjust and make a play. And yes, fractions of a second matter and can be the difference in how a play turns out.

3. How many attempts of the long ball is not as important as the threat of the long ball. From a defensive stand point, it makes it easier to game plan for an offense if they don't have a lot of big play threat because the QB can’t make the throw or just doesn't throw it. You can play much more aggressive underneath and make life harder there because you dont have to worry about the deep throw.

Doesn’t mean the offense still can’t be effective underneath, just means, it’s one less thing the D has to worry about and can allow them to be more aggressive if they dont have much fear of being beat over the top.

That being said, not having a "big" arm doesnt mean you cant still be an effective or even great QB. Hell Montanna didnt have a "big" arm and is one of the greatest to play the game. However, that QB needs to make up for it by excelling in 2 key areas...Ability to make QUICK decisions and to ability read defenses and see the field. So, how IMPORTANT a QB's arm strength is varies based on that QB's other abilities.

This topic is pretty played out, but I will chime in one last time here...as I have several disagreements with that statement above...

1. If a players max is around 45 yards, you likely wont see him throwing very often past 35 yards because trying to max out on a throw hampers your accuracy which is something you dont want to lose on your deep throws because of the higher risk of INT’s.

2. This same guy is going to have more air time in the throws over 40 yards and less velocity giving precious time to the safety and CB to adjust and make a play. And yes, fractions of a second matter and can be the difference in how a play turns out.

3. How many attempts of the long ball is not as important as the threat of the long ball. From a defensive stand point, it makes it easier to game plan for an offense if they don't have a lot of big play threat because the QB can’t make the throw or just doesn't throw it. You can play much more aggressive underneath and make life harder there because you dont have to worry about the deep throw.

Doesn’t mean the offense still can’t be effective underneath, just means, it’s one less thing the D has to worry about and can allow them to be more aggressive if they dont have much fear of being beat over the top.

That being said, not having a "big" arm doesnt mean you cant still be an effective or even great QB. Hell Montanna didnt have a "big" arm and is one of the greatest to play the game. However, that QB needs to make up for it by excelling in 2 key areas...Ability to make QUICK decisions and to ability read defenses and see the field. So, how IMPORTANT a QB's arm strength is varies based on that QB's other abilities.

very very well said.

Ok... Lets split hairs...

Trent throws 55 mph

Your want is someone who can throw 60

a 30 yard pass at 55 mph from release to completion would take 1.115 seconds

a 30 yard pass at 60 mph from release to completion would take 1.0227 seconds

Fact is TE is ok in my mind...

The point is the ball in a swirling wind, a couple MPH can make a difference between a tight spiral & a wounded duck. People that complain Trent can't play in the cold are wrong. It is not the temp. that affects Trent, it is the WIND & RAIN. In the rain, aside from the ball being harder to grip it is also HEAVIER thus requiring greater arm strength to throw it properly. If Trent were playing in Fla, Cal, Zona...or a DOME his arm strength would be fine. Where he runs into problems is playing in the NORTH EAST after Oct.

Trent can definitely throw the ball at least 50 yards. I can throw the ball 45-50 yards (50 is the max) and I am 5'9 185 and have small hands.

Trent can definitely throw the ball at least 50 yards. I can throw the ball 45-50 yards (50 is the max) and I am 5'9 185 and have small hands.

Right. All within 4 seconds with 300 lb guys trying to rip your head off at the same time, just like the pros do.

Just can't get this comedy at home.

GO BILLS!!!

Right. All within 4 seconds with 300 lb guys trying to rip your head off at the same time, just like the pros do.

Just can't get this comedy at home.

GO BILLS!!!

If he could step into throw he could out there 50 yards no problem.

...3. How many attempts of the long ball is not as important as the threat of the long ball. From a defensive stand point, it makes it easier to game plan for an offense if they don't have a lot of big play threat because the QB can’t make the throw or just doesn't throw it. You can play much more aggressive underneath and make life harder there because you dont have to worry about the deep throw...

Well then, the Bills certainly qualify for the "threat" of a long ball given the inordinate amount of man-over coverage Evans has seen since the Houston game in '06. DCs have made it a point to take that away as you know. The threat is there. So is the TOTAL lack of respect for any other weapons other than Lynch/Jackson to hurt you. As a former Pac-10 LB, you know what that means (thanks for answering my earlier post BTW).

Suffice to say that when the Bills have the personnel to force defences to commit resources to taking them away we'll be able to open it up and take more shots down field. How about a TE who COMMANDS attention because he can stretch a middle seam? Who's also versatile enough to split out to spread a D and create favorable matchups? How about having our gifted slot receivers actually run routes from the slot and not from out wide where they are not suited to play? I know I'm preaching to the choir here.

But this idea that Trent's arm strength isn't sufficient is pure BS. He can throw the long out from the far hash just fine. ON TIME. And as your former experience suggests you already know that's the throw the scouts HAVE to see when determining whether or not a QB is going to be able to "make all the throws" as they say.

GO BILLS!!!

If he could step into throw he could out there 50 yards no problem.

When you throw it 45-50 yards are you stepping into the throw or is it just a flick of the wrist for you? Seriously though, I picture you looking like a javelin thrower with a football when you try to heave it those 45-50 yards.

And the hits just keep on comin'!

GO BILLS!!!