Edwards Arm Strength

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Especially since the Bengal fans said that FITZY has a noodle arm and cant throw 5 yards in front of him, oops maybe they were referring to trent nope definately FITZ. :thumbsup:

I HATE that signing :( late in the year if Trent is injured we will have to depend on him to get get the ball to TO.

He only beat out 2 guys that are not even in the NFL according to the stats in the origional post. I would not call that average.

Do you have the numbers for all the starting QBs in the NFL? No? well i'll go by what the scouts say, then.

It means he throws a 3 Yd pass that the receiver runs with for another 6 Yds = 9 YPA That is the point. Nobody said Trent does not complete his checkdown passes, the point is he checks down TOO OFTEN.

If your scenario is true, 3yd pass with a 6yd run, as the average checkdown pass for Trent, how is that too much. Are those seven WR Screens the Patriots run every game to get eight or nine yards too many. You know, the ones where they throw it to Welker and he scoots out of bounds for eight or nine yards?

Moving the ball is moving the ball. I don't care if they check down and are the most boring offense on the planet, as long as it moves the chains and scores points. The latter part is the problem. Note our poor redzone conversion percentage last year. Lots of teams have flashy plays all the time, but they don't go anywhere either. The Bills need to take more chances down the field. No question, but can we please stop with the argument that he checks down too often. If you look down field, and the guy isn't open on when you make the read, you can't hold onto him forever. Better he get rid of the ball and make a positive play, than take a sack for a fumble that leads to the game winning TD for the other team like JP I-Can't-Get-A-Contract-With-Anyone-Losman.

Do you have the numbers for all the starting QBs in the NFL? No? well i'll go by what the scouts say, then.

If you wish to think Trent has an average arm, fine by me. I don't really care if it is average or below average as long as he gets the ball to TO & Evans this year for about 20 TD's :(

If you wish to think Trent has an average arm, fine by me. I don't really care if it is average or below average as long as he gets the ball to TO & Evans this year for about 20 TD's :(

The scouts seem to agree with me.

If your scenario is true, 3yd pass with a 6yd run, as the average checkdown pass for Trent, how is that too much. Are those seven WR Screens the Patriots run every game to get eight or nine yards too many. You know, the ones where they throw it to Welker and he scoots out of bounds for eight or nine yards?

Moving the ball is moving the ball. I don't care if they check down and are the most boring offense on the planet, as long as it moves the chains and scores points. The latter part is the problem. Note our poor redzone conversion percentage last year. Lots of teams have flashy plays all the time, but they don't go anywhere either. The Bills need to take more chances down the field. No question, but can we please stop with the argument that he checks down too often. If you look down field, and the guy isn't open on when you make the read, you can't hold onto him forever. Better he get rid of the ball and make a positive play, than take a sack for a fumble that leads to the game winning TD for the other team like JP I-Can't-Get-A-Contract-With-Anyone-Losman.

A WR Screen is a designed play ( I wish the Bills would use it, they RARELY do), the check down is not the same thing and not nearly as effective. I agree a checkdown is better than a sack or int. All I'm saying is Trent NEEDS to throw the ball up for TO & Lee to make a play on it & TRUST that they will rather than check down as often as he did last year.

A WR Screen is a designed play ( I wish the Bills would use it, they RARELY do), the check down is not the same thing and not nearly as effective. I agree a checkdown is better than a sack or int. All I'm saying is Trent NEEDS to throw the ball up for TO & Lee to make a play on it & TRUST that they will rather than check down as often as he did last year.

I agree that Trent should be throwing the ball downfield this year as he has a better receiver in the number two slot, and Reed and Parrish moving back to their natural positions in the slot. Should allow for them to have better numbers and better YPC. That being said, a checkdown is also a designed play, much like the WR screen (which is a play that I hate, but think would be very useful in the Bills arsental). The only difference is, on a WR screen, the screen is the first option (and usually the only one) whereas with a checkdown, you are throwing a designed route to a third or fourth option. Not really all that different. People complain about too many checkdowns, but the alternatives of not using them are mostly (but not completely) negative.

Steve in Atlanta has convinced me with the chart he posted. What else do you need to know? TE has a faster ball speed than Paul Thompson and James Pinkey?..who...?!? Yep, case closed and put to bed...lol

Look, Drew Brees has no cannon for an arm, but year after year seems to get the ball where it needs to be for his WRs. The same can be said for Chad Pennington. But it helps to have ball speed (as mentioned) in Orchard Park.

So where is TE based on what we have seen so far? Well, Trent has had some good games and some not so good games -- so the jury is still out and this thread lives on. To be honest, at times TE has looked like a younger Kelly Holcomb. Check the stats, they are about the same from when they have been in Buffalo. The only difference being experience and it does not mean that TE will become a career backup. That said, it hasn't been a slam dunk that he is the QB we have been looking for either.

per scouts inc

"He has good arm strength to make all the throws effectively, but is inconsistent to power the ball into tight windows."

yeah, average.

The scouts seem to agree with me.

Wow. Do you feel better now?

I couldnt find others stats however id like to see them also. I was basing this post on all those worried about TE getting the ball to TO and Evans.. Obviously Trent is on the low end but I think its just fine..

do you have the ball speed numbers of any QBs that actually play? From the looks of it, his arm strength is extremely weak. The only player on that list who has a chance to EVER play, throws the ball 6.5 mph faster then him. The rest of the guys are bums. All this shows is that he throws the ball on par with people who can't even make the league. gg

Arm strength is important but it is overrated. Edwards was a highly accurate passer for a few games and that is more important. Lets see him do it for a season before we call him highly accurate though.

Case and point, Jamarcus Russell has the strongest arm in the world and can hurl it 60 yards from his knees, but he isn't a good QB.

fixed

How many tds did he throw? you can't win when your kicking fgs and they are scoring tds.Big Ben got sack alot last year and they went to the superbowl.Kurt Warner fumbles alot .Maybe they should check down more .