How does T.O. signing change draft priorities?

It seems that with T.O. and Lee as the wideouts, and Marshawn and Fred as recieving threats out of the backfield, as well as running the ball, the new priority to take full advantage of this signing should be to put together the best O-line possible. With a fantastic O-line, two good backs and two great recievers, along with a budding quarterback, this offense could be great. Without that O-line, teams will surely look to stop the Offense at that point; sacks and stuffing the run.

It seems that with T.O. and Lee as the wideouts, and Marshawn and Fred as recieving threats out of the backfield, as well as running the ball, the new priority to take full advantage of this signing should be to put together the best O-line possible. With a fantastic O-line, two good backs and two great recievers, along with a budding quarterback, this offense could be great. Without that O-line, teams will surely look to stop the Offense at that point; sacks and stuffing the run.

While I agree that we need to get some players for the OL, I don't think that the OL is the number one priority. Our defense needs help, and as the old adage goes, defense wins championships. We need to take a DE in the first round, and an LB in either the second or the third. That would go a long way to helping the defense get back into the top ten. If Alex Mack is still available in the second round, we should take him. Other than that, the talent we need is at guard, and most of the good ones in this draft are third and fourth round talent. Top priority is the DE position and OLB. After those two are addressed, we can go for OL. Also, I think Buffalo is still going to sign another OL in FA and possibly an OLB, which would shift some of the priority focus for the early rounds in the draft.

While I agree that we need to get some players for the OL, I don't think that the OL is the number one priority. Our defense needs help, and as the old adage goes, defense wins championships. We need to take a DE in the first round, and an LB in either the second or the third. That would go a long way to helping the defense get back into the top ten. If Alex Mack is still available in the second round, we should take him. Other than that, the talent we need is at guard, and most of the good ones in this draft are third and fourth round talent. Top priority is the DE position and OLB. After those two are addressed, we can go for OL. Also, I think Buffalo is still going to sign another OL in FA and possibly an OLB, which would shift some of the priority focus for the early rounds in the draft.

If Hartenger(?) craps the bed as a center in camp or preseason, at this point, we will have no one to plug in there as a viable alternative. This dude has been a back-up that they let go. Remember Tutan Reyes? My mind is far from comforted with him as the best and only option at the most important position on the OL (and possibly, the most important on the whole offense, when you think about it). The Bills scouts (Linda Bogdan, Ralph's daughter is chief OL scout) need to determine who the best C in the draft/for our offense is and then, hell or high water, GET HIM as insurance and actually develop the OL rather than relying on signing BIG-$ guys in UFA. The ghost of Mike Williams just seems to haunt OBD in the worst way.

Everything I've seen and read tells me it's Mack. Dude is smart, huge, can handle the 3-4 NT, plays determined and could anchor this line for 10 years. For far too long, we've not drafted OL early when it matters and the Mangolds, etc. have flown by as we draft smurf WRs and DBs. If he's going to go in the late 1st/early 2nd I think we should either trade down from 11 or if we do pick at 11, trade up from the 2nd round b/c he won't last until our 2nd.

I could definitely deal with drafting an O-lineman on the first day, but I don't think it's going to be at 11. And if this TO thing is going to work, we need a LG who's ready to play this year, not a rookie to groom. I want to see at least one more FA signed before the draft, maybe two (unless they believe Demetrius Bell is ready to contribute).

Gotta be OL first. No doubt. If we want to spread the field, and we should with the weapons we have on paper, it all hinges on the 5 guys up front.

That said, I'm hoping we get a TE who can stretch the middle seams a bit. I'm not convinced he isn't already on our roster.

GO BILLS!!!

Defense. They need a serious upgrade at LB and D-line. That comes before o-line. You can get a serviceable guard in the second/third.

Agreed. I don't think TO changes the draft priorities at all. Rookie WRs don't help and there are some young guys there anyway. The #1 priority has been and remains fixing the front 7 and figuring out how to generate a pass rush.

You guys are on drugs. The T.O. signing doesn't change anything. Our pass rush is pathetic. Regardless of signing a WR in free agency - which we were going to do anyway - targeting a DE first and foremost is top priority. End of discussion.

EDIT: only some of you are on drugs

You guys are on drugs. The T.O. signing doesn't change anything. Our pass rush is pathetic. Regardless of signing a WR in free agency - which we were going to do anyway - targeting a DE first and foremost is top priority. End of discussion.

EDIT: only some of you are on drugs

Just to clarify. I'm not suggesting we go OLine with the first pick. Clearly that has to be either DE or LB. But we should grab some quality OLmen somewhere in the earlier rounds. My point was that if it DID change anything (and I doubt it) then IF IT DID change anything, the change should be to emphasize the OL because that's where it all begins FOR ANY OFFENSE.

GO BILLS!!!

Just to clarify. I'm not suggesting we go OLine with the first pick. Clearly that has to be either DE or LB. But we should grab some quality OLmen somewhere in the earlier rounds. My point was that if it DID change anything (and I doubt it) then IF IT DID change anything, the change should be to emphasize the OL because that's where it all begins FOR ANY OFFENSE.

GO BILLS!!!

So may of the posters here keep missing this one point: Unless you think the signing of TO was merely to sell tickets, then the one year deal means they are making a major push to make the playoffs THIS YEAR. Yes, defense wins championships and yes the Bills pass rush stunk last year but unless the Bills can pull off a minor miracle - finding a rookie who can make a difference right away - then the Bills have to make more moves to shore up the o-line and find Trent a pass-catching tight end to make their move to the playoffs THIS YEAR.

One option might be to play both Marshwn and Fred at the same time basically utilizing Jackson as a TE. But Trent will end up on his back if the offensive line is not shored up. It is possible to find rookie lineman (better chance than rookie defensive linemen making a difference) but my view is to continue doing things the Bills seldom do : trade draft picks for veterans.

Trade with Denver for Scheffler (TE)

Trade with Kansas City for Waters (Guard)

Talk with Carolina about Julius Peppers. CONSIDER trading away our first rounder for Peppers.

I'd also make the necessary offers to sign LB's Cato June or Freddie Keiaho