The Bills signed Terrell Owens because...

guru

Are the bills really at jacksonville for a 3rd consecutive season? Shouldn't they have to come up to buffalo every once in a while? I didn't read the rest of your post but I assume that's what you're mad about. And I for one completely agree, this is an outrage.

Just the way the schedule works, dogg. The Bills would have played at whichever AFC South team finished in the same place in their division in 2007 and 08; this year's trip to Jacksonville has been on the schedule for six years, reciprocating for their visit here in 2006.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious...Which winnable games to you disagree with?

Hou, Cle, Jax and KC wont be very good next year. Hou and KC have the best shot at being solid, but both D's are still big liabilities, and I think they are looking at 7 to 9 wins at best. Cle and Jax will be sub .500 teams...

Do you really see Miami as a real contender? With Brady back, they have 2 more losses right there IMO. THey got lucky in a couple games last year and remind me of that Bears team DJ took to 13-3...a team who over achieved. They still have a weak WR core too...

Jets are not going to be very consistent with Clemens at the helm, and they their WR core is weak now without Coles.

Do you see the Saints being much more than they were this year? THey are returning essentially the same team...the same team that couldnt stop anyone...

Tenn was no where near the same team without Haynesworth last year...Collins is a year older and that offense is not capable of carrying that team, so if the D doesnt remain Elite they will struggle to duplicate their success IMO.

Do you see TB being good with McCown at QB? I just dont see it...

ATL and Carloina...both good teams, but I think they are still winnable...

It's still way early in the offseason to say which team is going to be better or worse, but if the season started today I'd have a very hard time chalking up Atlanta, Carolina, TB, Tennessee, Miami and the Jets as wins. TB and the Jets are rebuilding with new coaches, so those are possible, but Carolina, Atlanta and Tennessee were playoff teams last year, we got swept by the Dolphins (and went 0-6 in the AFC East). Suddenly we're going to go 4-2 in the East, after adding a center and a no.2 WR?

At best I think we split with Miami and the Jets and get swept by NE. I think we lose on the road at Tennessee, Carolina and Atlanta. I think we can beat the Chiefs and Jags on the road, and lose to the Colts and possibly Bucs or Saints at home.

Here's how I break it down:

Home Games

NE - L

Miami - W

NY Jets - W

TB - Tossup

Indy - L

NO - Toss

Hou - Toss

Cle - W

Home record - at best 6-2, at worst maybe 3-5

Road

NE - L

Miami - L

NY Jets - Toss

Car - L

Jax - Toss

KC - W

Atl - L

Ten - L

Road record - at best 5-3, most likely 2-6 or 3-5.

My most optimistic guess - 9-7 and just on the outside of the playoffs, looking in. I think 12-13 wins is a pipe dream. The stars would have to align perfectly. I know everyone is giddy about TO but let's remember that we've been 7-9 forever and while I know you don't want to believe this, we still have a loser head coach, who alone is likely good for a half-dozen losses.

Home: Miami (W), New England (L), NY Jets (W), Houston (W), Indianapolis (L), Cleveland (W), New Orleans (L), Tampa Bay (W)-----5 wins

Away: Miami (W), New England (L), NY Jets (W), Jacksonville (W), Tennessee (L), Kansas City (W), Atlanta (W), Carolina (L)----5 wins

10-6 and playoffs, baby!

It's still way early in the offseason to say which team is going to be better or worse, but if the season started today I'd have a very hard time chalking up Atlanta, Carolina, TB, Tennessee, Miami and the Jets as wins. TB and the Jets are rebuilding with new coaches, so those are possible, but Carolina, Atlanta and Tennessee were playoff teams last year, we got swept by the Dolphins (and went 0-6 in the AFC East). Suddenly we're going to go 4-2 in the East, after adding a center and a no.2 WR?

At best I think we split with Miami and the Jets and get swept by NE. I think we lose on the road at Tennessee, Carolina and Atlanta. I think we can beat the Chiefs and Jags on the road, and lose to the Colts and possibly Bucs or Saints at home.

Where we disagree is you are putting more weight into teams 2008 performance and not looking at what they will look like after the off season next year.

For instance, sure Tenn was a playoff team, but they finished poor last year after Haynesworth went down. They are actually going to be a lesser team next year and will have a QB controversy brewing as Tenn is giving Young the chance to win his job back. They lost their best D player and best recieving weapon, have an aging QB who was ok, but not great last year or a mentally weak QB who has been terrible in the passing game both competing for starting gig.

Miami, to me, over achieved and comes back to reality this year.

Jets will also be worse this year...do you really think the offense is any good with no Coles and Clemens throwing passes?

TB has McCown as a QB now...do you see him making them a better team? I dont...

But to answer your question about if I think we will suddenly go 4-2 in the division after adding a WR and Center...YES, but not because of just that, because we SHOULD have gone 6-0 in the division last year, but QB play was atrocious in those games. My estimation of the division record being vastly improved is based on TRENT becoming much more effective this year, and those 2 signings directly impact Trent.

If Trent puts up a season like last year, then no, I dont think we win 10 games. But if he takes his game up a notch and becomes consistent, then we will go at least 4-2. I wont say we will beat the pats becuase NO ONE has beat the Pats with Brady at the helm in the regular season since they got TO and Welker, so until some one does, I will give them the benefit of the doubt...

1. They needed someone to "market" to their fans...

I just got an e-mail from the Bills:

"Pre-order your Terrell Owens jersey from The Bills Store"...ROTFLMFAO...too much!!!!!

I just got an e-mail from the Bills:

"Pre-order your Terrell Owens jersey from The Bills Store"...ROTFLMFAO...too much!!!!!

Whats your point? THe Bills would be stupid not to cash in on the marketing side of things...you do realize, its that kind of stuff that allow a football team to exist, so what the hell do you care if Buffalo is all of a sudden becoming relevant over night?

The publicity is a bonus, not why we signed him. I gurantee DJ could care less about the marketing, and he was the one who pushed for TO.

2...TO SELL TICKETS...because they were destined for a HUGE decline in ticket sales...

3...as they have no one on the roster who creates any hope or excitement that the 2009 season was going to be anything different than the last 8 seasons... :devil:

4...a desperation move to create the perception that this is the piece of the puzzle they need to lift them to the next level...ie. make the playoffs.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner

It is a bad fit because Dick Jauron...like Wade Phillips...is not a strong enough personality to keep Owens under control.

A few early season losses will soon create a sour taste in Owens' mouth and then...watch out!!!! :flirt:

The Bills have a very tough 2009 schedule...Owens alone is not enough to get the Bills into the playoffs.

Home: Miami, New England, NY Jets, Houston, Indianapolis, Cleveland, New Orleans, Tampa Bay

Away: Miami, New England, NY Jets, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Kansas City, Atlanta, Carolina

If you see the Bills winning 10 games against these opponents, which 10 are they??

If the Bills start out bad....what they won't make the playoffs?...Come on folks!!!

But to answer your question about if I think we will suddenly go 4-2 in the division after adding a WR and Center...YES, but not because of just that, because we SHOULD have gone 6-0 in the division last year, but QB play was atrocious in those games. My estimation of the division record being vastly improved is based on TRENT becoming much more effective this year, and those 2 signings directly impact Trent.

Don't discount poor defense and poor coaching in that 0-6 AFCE record. Those played as big a role (and in some cases, a bigger role) as inconsistent QB play.

2...TO SELL TICKETS...because they were destined for a HUGE decline in ticket sales...

3...as they have no one on the roster who creates any hope or excitement that the 2009 season was going to be anything different than the last 8 seasons... :devil:

4...a desperation move to create the perception that this is the piece of the puzzle they need to lift them to the next level...ie. make the playoffs.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner

It is a bad fit because Dick Jauron...like Wade Phillips...is not a strong enough personality to keep Owens under control.

A few early season losses will soon create a sour taste in Owens' mouth and then...watch out!!!! :flirt:

The Bills have a very tough 2009 schedule...Owens alone is not enough to get the Bills into the playoffs.

Home: Miami, New England, NY Jets, Houston, Indianapolis, Cleveland, New Orleans, Tampa Bay

Away: Miami, New England, NY Jets, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Kansas City, Atlanta, Carolina

If you see the Bills winning 10 games against these opponents, which 10 are they??

10 Wins:

Miami

NYJ (in NYC)

KC

Atl

TB

Cle

Houston

Jax

NO

Miami

Miami and NYJ are too up and down from year to year for me to think, going into pretty much every season, that we'll go any worse than 3-3 in the division (obviously, I'm comfortable being disappointed often). We also play every home game close, so there's even a chance for a win against Indy. We almost beat them DJ's first year in Indy (Lindell missed a field goal int he 4th and we lost 17-16). At the least they're all winnable games.

Anyone that thinks the addition of TO will help the Bills make the playoffs has obviously overdosed on the Kool-Aid.

Show me one Marketing genius run team that has won the Super Bowl.

This team will not be better off with TO. We will certainly get more attention but we will still be out of the playoffs, IMO.

As a season ticket holder I am outraged by this signing and this may be the final straw.

The signing is enough to get me to respond to this board, somehting I thought I would never do. Giving up my seats, just might be the second.

Our offense has been in the bottom half of the league for 9 years... He can't harm that any more than it has been in the past. Lee Evans will have his best or next to best yr statistically. Possibility of 2 receivers going over a thousand weather permitting? Adding the Toronto dome game will help this cause.

Anyone that thinks the addition of TO will help the Bills make the playoffs has obviously overdosed on the Kool-Aid.

Show me one Marketing genius run team that has won the Super Bowl.

This team will not be better off with TO. We will certainly get more attention but we will still be out of the playoffs, IMO.

As a season ticket holder I am outraged by this signing and this may be the final straw.

The signing is enough to get me to respond to this board, somehting I thought I would never do. Giving up my seats, just might be the second.

Would you rather have James Hardy starting over TO, guy who put up 8 catches and 2 TD's last year?

Would you rather have James Hardy starting over TO, guy who put up 8 catches and 2 TD's last year?

Yes I would. James Hardy will not destroy this team.

There are plenty of receivers out there we could have signed for a lot less than $6.5M

Yes I would. James Hardy will not destroy this team.

There are plenty of receivers out there we could have signed for a lot less than $6.5M

LMAO, please oh please name just one...nam one WR we could have signed for less than 6.5 that would be an UPGRADE to what we have.

I know, we were a playoff caliber team without him...

Lets be honest, we missed the playoffs last year because our QB play between Trent and JP became a liability during the second half of the season. Just getting Trent back on track and taking a step forward puts us in playoff talk. So assuming Trent steps up and makes important strides this year, we will be a playoff contender with or without TO. But with TO, we are now a VERY dangerous offense IF Trent can step into his own this year and elevate his progression...

Ok, we get it. You are trying not to say that if we don't make the playoffs it's because of Trent, now that we have TO and all.

Why not say we should go 14-2 if Trent can "elevate his progression"? Or 15-1?