ESPN.com: "Owens deal gets nation talking about Bills"

Lori

How about if he wrecks Trent Edwards once and for all, and we have to go QB-shopping once again next season? Now, you might say that if TE lets that happen he's no franchise QB anyway ... and I might agree. But it is a factor.

I see your point and take it seriously, but I love this signing nonetheless.

Lori, we were a team with a lackluster, small, play not to lose defense, complimented by an offense with no identity, and big holes at OC, TE and OG. This, with a 2nd year qb. They got rid of Dockery (a great move imo), added a blocker to replace him, and brought in a hall of fame receiver who is capable of transforming the entire offense. With a TE and another OG, this can be a top offense in the NFL. OUR BILLS, with a top NFL offense!!! B-)

Trent is very smart, and I don't think that he needs to be the center of attention. He is also pretty accurate all in all, and I am certain that he will be able to hit this big, open target. My biggest fear is that with TO they might try to rely less on the run, but I'm willing to take my chances.

In short, yes, this could fail, but the fall would be short indeed after 9 seasons/no playoffs. A few more pieces, and just maybe we will be hanging out in January.

Oh yeah, I am loving this move. :thumbsup:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The link that graham has to Jerry Sullivan's article is great... I could agree more with jerry when he says "What do we have to lose? Tranquility and calm in the locker room, among a bunch of nice guys who haven't won a damn thing?"

It'll be fun to have a player capable of chewing up and spitting Sully out before breakfast once again, al la Bruce...

You would agree. :thumbsup:

Of course it's a factor. There isn't anyone that believes this has no chance of blowing up in the Bills face, or believes that TO doesn't have serious issues and baggage.

AJ's post, the one I replied to, didn't see any down side. So that's why I posted a potential one. You know me, Lori the Contrarian.

I'd suggest that this is several players and coaches year to finally show some progress. And Trent falls squarely into that category as well. If he can't throw the ball down the field and into the endzone with Evans and TO on the field, I'd hope we go lookin for a new QB regardless.

Fair enough.

How about if he wrecks Trent Edwards once and for all, and we have to go QB-shopping once again next season? Now, you might say that if TE lets that happen he's no franchise QB anyway ... and I might agree. But it is a factor.

On the other hand, if we go into the season without any weapons, and Trent has to be "captain checkdown" again, the fans would run him out of town anyway... So maybe there isn't a downside afterall :thumbsup:

Anyone see SportsCenter last night? The anchor walked in from behind a giant Bills logo as their lead off. I'd say, YES, the Buffalo Bills definitely grabbed the national spotlight for a few days and they probably guaranteed themselves a couple Sunday or Monday nighters this coming season.

This is also a positive for T.O. in all the stuff I've heard from the talking heads they are concentrating more on T.O.'s positives like hard work, pushing teammates and his skill on the field that should help Evans. The bad things about T.O. are being mentioned but much less so, IMO.

we are really gonna see the kind of ability that evans has now.

if owens gives us 7 in the box and two guys who warrant a double team, then our two rbs are gonna run rough shot over the nfl.

one thing is we were able to run very effectively against the 3-4, but passed poorly. this could be just what we need!

Most likely they will double team T.O. but they can't leave Evans in single coverage so they're gonna have to slide a safety over to help when the ball is thrown Lee's way. This is going to open the field up for JR, SJ, JH and RP who will have LB's on them and if a play action is done well enough to fool the defense for a moment that could be disastrous for them. Also on first downs they are going to be forced to respect the pass and play off the line a little more so ML and FJ should see better runs.

If Trent can't handle T.O. he won't make it as the Bills QB. Trent isn't a rookie next year. He now has two great running backs, two great receivers, some other very good weapons at his disposal. He needs to step up and run this offense. That includes using T.O. as a part of the team. I hope that the Cowboy have done us a favor and taught TO a lesson that he will learn from and be motivated by. I don't think Jim Kelly would have let TO push him around! Why should Trent?

If Trent can't handle T.O. he won't make it as the Bills QB. Trent isn't a rookie next year. He now has two great running backs, two great receivers, some other very good weapons at his disposal. He needs to step up and run this offense. That includes using T.O. as a part of the team. I hope that the Cowboy have done us a favor and taught TO a lesson that he will learn from and be motivated by. I don't think Jim Kelly would have let TO push him around! Why should Trent?

Jeff Garcia, Don McNabb, and Tony Romo couldn't handle T.O., but seem to be doing OK otherwise ...

And yet all three can say their best year was with him.

Well then, let's hope that part -- but not the rest of the equation -- holds true for our Stanford man.

Kinda like the comment:

"I went from America's team to NORTH America's team."

What the eff is that supposed to mean TO? :flirt::devil:

Did TO just ellude to something? ;);)

:o

Let the games begin!

Someone may have already pointed this out...but the Cowboys have always been "South America's Team"

More lines in a Cowboys locker room than a baseball diamond...

This is also a positive for T.O. in all the stuff I've heard from the talking heads they are concentrating more on T.O.'s positives like hard work, pushing teammates and his skill on the field that should help Evans. The bad things about T.O. are being mentioned but much less so, IMO.

Most likely they will double team T.O. but they can't leave Evans in single coverage so they're gonna have to slide a safety over to help when the ball is thrown Lee's way. This is going to open the field up for JR, SJ, JH and RP who will have LB's on them and if a play action is done well enough to fool the defense for a moment that could be disastrous for them. Also on first downs they are going to be forced to respect the pass and play off the line a little more so ML and FJ should see better runs.

I'm fairly certain I don't know what this play action thing is you speak of. The Bills' offense hasn't used play action or slant passes for years. Perhaps TO will change all that, but until I see it on the field, I'll be reserved in my enthusiasm for this great new NFL-style offense we'll magically begin to run.

Well then, let's hope that part -- but not the rest of the equation -- holds true for our Stanford man.

There is no question that this can be a disaster. But to me, a lot of the media attention that is now going to descend upon Edwards and the Bills and the organization is nothing but good. The object of this game is to win the whole enchilada. We're not going to be truly happy as fans unless someday we win it all. And we're very likely going to have to have a good QB to do it. How Edwards handles Owens as well as how he handles the media pressure can go far in his advancement as an NFL player and quarterback and potential star player. You need to be able to do that. This has as much chance to help him as hurt him, and again, IMO, if he allows it to hurt him, he's not our guy. A rookie, maybe. But a third year player who has already been a starter for a year, he needs to start to step up as a leader.

There is no question that this can be a disaster. But to me, a lot of the media attention that is now going to descend upon Edwards and the Bills and the organization is nothing but good. The object of this game is to win the whole enchilada. We're not going to be truly happy as fans unless someday we win it all. And we're very likely going to have to have a good QB to do it. How Edwards handles Owens as well as how he handles the media pressure can go far in his advancement as an NFL player and quarterback and potential star player. You need to be able to do that. This has as much chance to help him as hurt him, and again, IMO, if he allows it to hurt him, he's not our guy. A rookie, maybe. But a third year player who has already been a starter for a year, he needs to start to step up as a leader.

I agree with every word of this. I will only add that imo, there is a possibility for Trent to have an easier time dealing with TO than did Romo.

I have always thought that after Parcells, Romo was as much of a marketing tool as he is a quarterback. The whole Jessica Simpson thing comes to mind. Is he in a way being portrayed as the Joe Namath of Texas? The difference is, Namath was 10x better than Romo before all the injuries.

I don't expect Trent to care if TO gets all the publicity. He seems like a level headed kid, and he is smart enough to know that if his game improves, he will soon be a multi-millionaire.

Finally, I too expect results from Trent, especially with another upgrade to the OG and TE positions. I will not spend years on end making excuses if Trent plays poorly. That out of the way, my guess is that he plays well. We can only hope. :flirt:

I don't see any possible way this could be a "disaster of Hindenburg proportions"... :flirt: We're a team that is mentioned every year as being a top candidate for relocation. We haven't made the playoffs in a decade. Aside from our fast start last season, we're pretty much irrelevant on the NFL stage. What's the worst T.O. could do? Drag our record from 7-9 down to 6-10? Screw the team by helping us earn our way to the 9th pick in the draft instead of the 11th?

I don't see any downside in signing the guy...

Great post. I feel the same way, we've got nothing to lose.

Where is the history of TO causing that sort of result with a QB? Garcia became a probowler...as did Romo...and McNabb went to a SB with him (and may have been a probowler, too...can't recall). So yeah, if the passing offense isn't more prolific with TO a part of it, then I'd be most likely to put the blame on TE's shoulders and want the guy out of here anyway.

Finally, I too expect results from Trent, especially with another upgrade to the OG and TE positions. I will not spend years on end making excuses if Trent plays poorly.

Amen to that, Bill. I'm as tired as anyone else with "rebuilding mode". But if my two choices are "stick with a QB/Coach that has proved to be ineffective" or "blow it up yet again and try something different", I'll take the latter every single time.